Lion frees RAM and shows it by the blue indicators disappearing?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Absolute-Zero, Jul 23, 2011.

1. Absolute-Zero macrumors newbie

So I found this out about Mac OS X Lion:

"Better Memory Management - By default, if you have an application open and you’re not using it for an extended period of time, it will actually take steps to free up the memory. This is visually represented by the little glowing blue dot under the app in your dock disappearing once the memory has been freed and it no longer acts as a significant burdon on your system."

I didn't know this. Am I the only one? It sounds like a really neat feature. Heres the link to the article: http://chris.pirillo.com/top-ten-features-of-os-x-10-7-lion/

2. tkermit, Jul 23, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2011

tkermit macrumors 68040

tkermit

The system should only do that when it runs out of memory. The app also can't have any windows open that are currently visible to the user, and obviously it has to be in a state in which it is willing to be terminated, so no background operations going on or anything. But what happens then is not actually that the glowing blue dot disappears, but that the app's process disappears. So to the user it looks like the app is still running, but there is no corresponding process anymore. If you then switch to the app though, the system will relaunch the process and Resume takes care of very quickly bringing the app back to the state it was in before, so that ideally the user doesn't even notice it had been terminated.