Lion goes back to sleep immediately after waking up - (king of the jungle slacking)

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by vcantrell, Jul 23, 2011.

1. vcantrell macrumors member

vcantrell

So, here's the story. I've been running the developer version of Lion on my main MacBook Pro since developer preview 3. I had Just reformatted my snow leopard and set it up how I liked it, and then I did the upgrade. Ever since I've been on lion, I've been having an issue with it sleeping and waking up.

Whenever I close the lid and have it go to sleep, it takes like 15 seconds to fully go to sleep, which is normal, but whenever I wake it up, no matter how long it's been since it went to sleep, it will come up, and then instantly (sometimes not instantly, as long as a minute after) it will go black and go back to sleep, and I have to wait 15 seconds till it fully sleeps to wake it back up. The second time it stays on.

I've pinned it down to the fact that it has something to do with when it connects to wifi. If wifi is off entirely, it will always just wake up the first time... but for some reason, whenever it connects to a wifi hotspot, whether or not it has internet, it goes back to sleep.

I had the paging file turned off on snow leopard, so that when it went to sleep it slept instantly and woke up instantly, but somehow that didn't carry over to lion. In a troubleshooting method the other day, I went ahead and undid the change I had made in snow leopard, and believe it or not it actually didn't shut off for awhile. It did it again today though, and circumstances are no different than they have been for the past few days.

I know that it's not the actual computer itself, Because it started doing this as soon as I installed lion on my 2011 Sandy Bridge MBP 15", and just this month I switched from that computer to another 2011 Sandy Bridge MBP 15" and I just moved the hard drives over... so it's not the computer hardware.

I understand the obvious easy answer is to just reformat and start over from scratch, and I Know that this answer would work. I'm just wondering if anyone has any thoughts or ideas that could help me and save me days of work getting my computer set back up again.

Thanks

2. puffmommy.2. macrumors newbie

Same.

Exact same thing happens to me on my MBP 2011 15 inch.
    I close the screen lid to let it go to sleep (wait until blinky white light).
    I open the screen lid to resume using the computer...but 3 or so seconds later after waking it decides to go back to sleep.
    I updated to OSX Lion yesterday from SL. It NEVER did this on SL. I doubt it's a hardware issue since I literally haven't installed or changed anything since SL (except of course, installing Lion).
    I've tried turning off wireless, bluetooth, internet sharing, wake on wireless. I've tried resetting the PRAM and also did an SMC reset.
    These are settings I've never had to touch or mess with since I bought my MBP in May.
    Nothing worked.

Is this issue uncommon?

3. vcantrell thread starter macrumors member

vcantrell

I am assuming that it is very uncommon considering that you and I are the only two cases I've ever found of it. My plan was to reinstall snow leopard and do a clean upgrade to lion from there... I am fearing that perhaps even that won't fix it, and that it may somehow be a conflict between the new 2011 pros and lion.

I would love feedback from anyone else that has encountered this issue... I agree that it is very much the OS considering that it did the exact same thing when I moved my hard drive from one 2011 pro to another.

4. mauritsb macrumors newbie

Exactly the same issue here. Early 2011 17" MBP.

After opening the lid from sleep, the display comes on, goes black again after a few seconds. It takes at least 15 seconds before hitting a key on the internal keyboard, or touching the track pad, or the on/off button brings the mac to life again. Never had that in SL.

Annoying...

Cheers, Maurits

5. enricoandreoli macrumors newbie

I'm Italian and I have the same issue! I have called Apple Support but they didn't solve my problem.

6. PyroMac2011 macrumors newbie

I have the same issue. I have to hit the power button to wake the MBA.

7. thedroporg macrumors newbie

I'm experiencing the exact same issue on a 2011 Macbook Pro after Lion upgrade. I've noticed that if I disable wifi, Sleep from the Apple menu, wait for it to sleep, then close the lid, the issue doesn't happen. But that's a crappy workaround.

8. mobilehavoc macrumors 6502

mobilehavoc

Have you folks tried using SmartSleep? I used it since SL and it carried over to Lion after my upgrade. It's the single greatest pref pane for OSX.

It will go to sleep but not write anything to disk (good for SSDs too) and so it goes to sleep in like 1-2 seconds. Waking up is super fast too.

It's 'smart' because if it detects the battery running low, it will save memory to disk and then turn off so your stuff is protected.

This type of setup is PERFECT for laptops and not for desktops since they can lose power. With your laptop (especially with non-removable batteries) you will always have power no matter what so doing a sleep with no HDD save is safe and faster!! :)

9. thedroporg, Jul 26, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2011

thedroporg macrumors newbie

Thanks for the suggestion, but I'd rather not have to resort to paid apps in order to have my brand new mac sleep properly...

Are you guys also noticing that when the energy saver turns the display off (with the mac still running) that gestures on the trackpad don't wake it back up, only a keypress will?

10. mobilehavoc macrumors 6502

mobilehavoc

Oh it's paid now? I have the original version before the App Store existed - it was free then and it luckily still works great ;)

11. puffmommy.2., Jul 26, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2011

puffmommy.2. macrumors newbie

thedroporg,
    Are you talking about the display sleep?
    My screen doesn't turn black all the way but it dims way low. In that case, I can use my touchpad (moving it/clicking it) to wake up the laptop.

The strange thing is that when the MBP goes to its 2nd sleep (the one right after waking up), it doesn't seem to go to sleep immediately. I can tell because of the sleep light in front of the laptop. It just stays bright white constantly. I actually have to either press a key on the keyboard or double click on my touchpad to actually trigger its second sleep. Until then, the display screen itself just stays completely blacked out as if it were asleep (but it really isn't because the white blinky light should be blinking to indicate that it's asleep right?)

EDIT: Actually, the sleep light doesn't stay white constantly. Whatever shade of white it was while it was sleeping is held constant when I open my laptop lid. It stays constant until I press a keyboard key or double click the touchpad, in which case it starts pulsating again to indicate that it's back to sleep.

Such a weird issue. And it seems to be mostly happening with the 2011 MBP's..

12. CyBeRino macrumors 6502a

This could be an issue with the sensor that senses when you close the lid. I was once driven to frustration by a similar problem which it turned out was because I had two such laptops stacked exactly straight and the magnet from the bottom laptop's screen was sensed by the top laptop's sensor, leading it to think the lid was closed and it needed to either sleep or, with the projector system connected, use only the external video.

So possibly either the sensor is broken, the software running it (the SMC) is on the fritz (try resetting it) or you have some other magnetic influence there.

13. puffmommy.2. macrumors newbie

enricoandreoli,
    Thanks for posting that vid!
    That is the exact problem I have. I guess a went a little crazy into the details but yes that's a spot-on illustration of what my laptop is going through.

Cyberino,
    Hmm..I don't think I have any magnetic influence nearby the laptop. I mean, it's always sitting on top of a wooden desk so yeah. Also, I've done both a PRAM and SMC reset. Neither of those options worked. Like I said, I haven't touched anything system related besides those related to trying to fix this issue, so I don't see why my sensor would be broken from just upgrading to Lion.

14. enricoandreoli, Jul 28, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2011

enricoandreoli macrumors newbie

I did a test, when I open the lid the screen lights up, when it turn off automatically, the macbook still works. For example, if I press the dashboard key on the keyboard (when it isn't in sleep mode yet), when I press a key to wake (definitively) my Macbook I'm on the dashboard screen. Same thing if I press: OPTION + CMD + ESC (for example), when I turn on the screen I find myself in the window of forced closure.

15. PyroMac2011 macrumors newbie

Any word on this issue? Anyone know if its software or hardware?

16. puffmommy.2. macrumors newbie

vcantrell,
    If you end up doing a clean install, could you let us know how it turns out?
    I'm really hesitant to do it myself because of the sheer number of things I would have to re-download and install. In all honesty, were I to take up such a task, I would just revert back to a clean install of SL instead of upping back to Lion again.

17. vcantrell thread starter macrumors member

vcantrell

Well it isn't hardware related. Unless... does everyone here have solid state drives? o_O

I took my drive from one mac and put it in another brand new 2011 pro and the issues carried over, so it isn't hardware related, unless of course it is due to either my solid state or my dual HD setup.

@puffmommy.2. Yeah I'm planning on doing the reinstall at the end of next week if no fix has been issued. I've been living with it since late April so I'm not gonna die in the next week. I'm assuming with this many issues, it has to warrent some kind of fix from Apple at some point... They have already seeded 10.7.2 to developers, so who knows. - But yeah, I'll update as soon as I do it.

18. Farnsy92 macrumors newbie

Mine does the same thing. But mine doesn't go to sleep the screen just dims to black, but if you look close you can see what's on the screen. What I have to do is press the F2 key like I am brightening my screen and it comes back on. Just a suggestion. I am using Macbook Pro 2010 15". I'm assuming it's a bug that will get worked out with an update.

19. enricoandreoli macrumors newbie

20. *LTD* macrumors G4

*LTD*

Funnily enough, it's mostly what Lions (males) *actually* do. It's the Lioness (female) that does all the work. ;)

21. Acartiaga macrumors newbie

lame sauce

Same issues here. Macbook 2009. Issue was not there before Lion upgrade. Prolly going to get a SSD tonight and do a fresh install of SL and Lion.

22. enricoandreoli macrumors newbie

2009? Oh..so my theory was wrong. I thought that problem was only on the early 2011 version. This is comfortable :D

Tell us if the problem appears again after the fresh install. Why don't you install directly Lion without SL before?

23. vcantrell thread starter macrumors member

vcantrell

So far from what I've seen... your theory should be pretty right. It seems there is another similar issue with the blank black screen that might be affecting older computers... but I think this has something to do with the new AMD graphics, seeing as the 2011 is the first one to carry AMD graphics.

I tell ya, I've never had so many problems as I've had with this 2011 pro. even on SL, trying to USB tether with my iphone caused a kernel panic Every time. On my first one, the graphics driver kept failing... and now this. Come on Apple... it's not like you've never introduced a new piece of hardware before or anything -__-

24. Bloodworth macrumors newbie

I've just started getting the same problem on my 15in mid-2009 MacBook Pro (upgraded to Lion last week), except I haven't noticed any sort of 'second sleep', instead the screen just goes black after 1-2 seconds (but the backlit keyboard is still lit). Nothing I press/click will bring the screen back (including hitting the F2/Brightness Up key) EXCEPT hitting the F1/Brightness DOWN key... o_O

I'm hoping it's something that can be fixed with an update or something simple, and not via clean installing or anything like that.