Lion Killed and Publicly Dissected at Denmark Zoo

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by vrDrew, Oct 15, 2015.

1. vrDrew macrumors 65816

According to the New York Times, a zoo in Odense dissected a 9.month old female lion that had been euthanized.

There is something of a debate in the worldwide zoo community about the reproduction of captive animals. Some zoos - mainly in the US - use birth control to prevent unwanted offspring. European zoos, however, generally believe that it is better for the animals welfare to experience the entire natural process. Even if it means euthanizing animals for which no suitable home can be found.

Personally I have somewhat mixed feelings on this. I understand the educational aspect of it, but personally, I'm not sure I would want to see an animal cut to pieces. I can imagine some children found it extremely unpleasant.

2. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I wouldn't want to watch them directing it, but I do understand why they euthanize the animals that they don't want breeding when they can't afford to have a separate enclosure for them.

3. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

seems like a waste of a good lion if she was not ill.

4. citizenzen macrumors 65816

From the article ...
    Okay. I get it. But I would hope it's done behind enough closed doors so that a casual zoo-goer, hoping to see the lions, doesn't see more than they bargained for.

5. sim667 macrumors 65816

I have no issue with dissecting an animal, its education. We even had a tv show where they dissected animals live, and there was one with human bodies too......

Although euthanising it because they didn't know what to do with it, I'm not so sure of.

6. numlock macrumors 68000

absolute nonsense. i honestly cant figure out which real educational purpose zoos actually have. seeing an animal from another continent in a locked enclosure does what exactly? it gives young minds extremely warped ideas about animals, their needs and rights.

as for the dissection again besides helping them maintain the status quo whats the point?

a bit bizarre to want the animals to experience "the natural process" when their habitat is a cement floor with a tyre to play with.

7. Meister Suspended

Meister

I agree. The lion cub shouldn't have been murdered in the first place, but the fuzz about the disection is just blatant hypocrisy.

8. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Seems like a waste, for I cannot believe that there was no way of re-homing the animal*.

*Africa comes to mind. *cough*

9. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Hypocrisy? That seems like an awful stretch to me.

10. vrDrew thread starter macrumors 65816

Doesn't work like that.

You can't just release an animal born in captivity into the wild. Lions are highly social animals, and this beast would be a total outsider, with zero social or genetic connection with any of the other lions it encountered. It also lacks any of the technical (hunting, stalking, etc.) skills necessary to survive in the wild.

Even in a semi-controlled environment such as a small game reserve, this young lion would be killed by any other lions it encountered. Even as a female - the other female lions it encountered would be very hostile to any lioness that wasn't one of their "sisters."

All things considered, being humanely euthanized was probably the best this lion could have hoped for - other than being accepted by another zoo.

11. FieldingMellish Suspended

I don't know which is worse. Dissection, or being shot by a rich dentist for bragging rights, having done so under means that minimize danger for the dentist.

12. Meister Suspended

Meister

There is an animal mass-holocaust going on and some people don't want to see the disection of a single lion baby that was already dead.

13. sim667 macrumors 65816

Being shot by a rich dentist.

If you get dissected you're already dead ;)

14. citizenzen macrumors 65816

And I've spoken out against it numerous time. However, seeing a body opened up is a visceral experience that people react to in very different ways. I personally know some adults who get queasy from seeing blood. I wouldn't think of them as hypocrites just because they couldn't watch a cow being slaughtered. I likewise don't think your average citizen is a hypocrite because they aren't pacifists, yet wouldn't want to see a human being blown up in front of them. When it comes to seeing the insides of bodies, I pretty much give a pass to those who can't handle it.

15. Meister Suspended

Meister

You do know that watching that disection was not mandatory?

Also: I do think there is quite a huge amount of hypocracy in supporting the slaughter of creatures but feeling offended by having to watch it. Pretty much sums up what's wrong with western civilization.

16. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

Actually some dissections are performed while the animal... or the human... is still alive.

17. Meister Suspended

Meister

Past tense. This is not done anymore in the civilized world.

18. citizenzen, Oct 16, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2015

citizenzen macrumors 65816

Yes. My understanding was that nobody was being forced to watch it. My only comment was that I hoped it was being done behind "closed doors" so that a casual zoo visitor wouldn't go to the lion's enclosure and find themselves unexpectedly seeing the dissection. If there were a sign saying, "lion dissection, this way," then that would be fine. Just give the people some warning.

Who is "having" to watch it? I thought we'd agreed that watching the dissection wasn't mandatory. I also don't recall viewers being offended by the procedure, though the article mentioned some kids (and adults, I suppose) as leaving, as if to avoid watching, the procedure.

It seems to me that most who are offended are disturbed by the circumstances behind the killing of the lion. It's certainly a shame that a young, otherwise healthy lion would be put down because there wasn't room for it. We've taken away so much of their natural habitat, and now apparently are overflowing with lions in our zoos. The whole situation is a sad shame, and as you say, points to a problem with how we've managed natural resources.

19. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

No, but it is still done in America. At least with frogs.

20. Meister Suspended

Meister

I said: the civilized world.

21. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Let's see ... I've done worms, frogs, cats, and humans.

But that was like, 30 years ago.

Back when America was still great.

22. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

Lions are considered "vulnerable" but not yet "endangered". They will be, though. In the meantime, since visiting the zoo is generally considered a children's activity these days, I don't know how many adults are aware of the fact that many zoos have repurposed themselves over the last 30 years or so to become captive breeding and species preservation centers for endangered species (not without controversy).

http://www.onegreenplanet.org/animalsandnature/zoos-bringing-endangered-species-back-from-the-brink/

Some species are more amenable to this than others. Some species have bounced back with remarkably small surviving populations; others seem to require more genetic diversity and may not be able to survive this way. Large carnivores, like lions, are very expensive to maintain. Some just don't reproduce well in captivity.

Captive breeding programs don't make sense for some species, but, for others, they may be the only way for now to try to keep a species going. Certain species of lemurs come to mind-- most species breed in captivity, they don't eat too much, and captive breeding programs are manageable for medium-sized zoos. And, many species are endangered and some are on the very brink of extinction in the wild. So yes, there is a context for which zoos make sense.

23. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

This is not really new. The Copenhagen Zoo has killed a number of animals. It killed a giraffe, even though other zoos wanted that same giraffe. The reasoning given is always some genetic purity nonsense. The giraffe had sibling parents, although the argument to maintain genetic diversity seems pretty weak when it comes to animals that live in a zoo. I'm not linking that, because it contains images of a giraffe being sawed into pieces and fed to the lions.

Anyway same zoo killed several lions last year. I'm not sure why these jackasses refuse offers from other zoos. It's really stupid.

24. vrDrew thread starter macrumors 65816

I'll not criticize this Danish Zoo - which probably does a lot for animal research and the maintenance of a healthy captive breeding pool.

What I will say is this: If I had to choose between the brief existence of this young lioness; and the glorious existence of Cecil the (Zimbabwe) Lion - I'd take Cecil's every time. Killed by a hunter's arrow is a legitimate manner of death for any animal on the African savannah.

Wild animals are always best served if they can be preserved in their natural habitat. Roaming freely over thousands of hectares.

If you really care about wild animals, and want to "do you part" - consider making a donation to organizations that work with African governments to preserve as much natural habitat as possible.