Lion not that successful in terms of sales

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by dba415, Nov 16, 2011.

1. dba415 macrumors 6502

2. linuxcooldude macrumors 68020

I don't see how it proves anything in particular. If you look at the pie chart it says 22% are still using Leopard when Snow Leopard is a worthy upgrade. So are those 22% saying Leopard Snow is no good? I see it more as your personal opinion then fact.

3. maflynn, Nov 16, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2011

maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Apple has consistently stated that Lion is their best selling OS. 6 million copies in such a short time frame indicates that its a very successful OS. Sales will plateau at some point, as they did for any and all operating systems. Plus the adoption rate will slow down from the meteoric pace that Lion had initially.

My point is that sales appear to be very good, they were great and you while you complain that apple is charging 30 bucks for a full OS, its a very succesful product.

4. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

No doubt some are holding off due to the absence of Rosetta, not some inherent problems with Lion itself
    For those running incompatible software this is a deal breaker for now

5. old-wiz macrumors G3

And quite a few people hold off simply because they are content with Leopard or Snow Leopard and don't have the time to upgrade to Lion or don't want to take a chance - getting things done is far more important to some people than just having the latest OS. This MBP still runs Snow Leopard because I have Lion on the iMac and I find Snow Leopard easier on the MBP.

6. HellDiverUK macrumors 6502

I bought Lion on day one. I asked and received a refund a week later. Awful OS.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's common that release of any kind of software has an initial surge of buying which diminishes over time. It's nothing new and isn't indicative of it not being widely accepted. I guess you didn't read the whole article:
    It sounds to me like you personally don't like Lion and you're grasping at straws, trying to find some evidence to convince others to share your viewpoint. Good luck with that! :rolleyes:

8. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

why all the Lion hate? im new to MAC and have only had Lion but i dont hate anything about it. What features are missing that existed prior to Lion? or was it just not enough new things for users to spend $30 on?

9. 76ShovelHead macrumors 6502a

76ShovelHead

Yeah, or it could mean that 22% is still on PPC.

10. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

Yeah exactly and since all MBPs come with it since late summer that would make sales go down for all new users not required to buy it at all.

Mix in the people that dont like it or have machines so old they dont both with new OS and they pretty much maxed out there sales long ago

11. yannerd macrumors newbie

+1

I'm a Windows convert and I've been using Lion for a week now and love it. I too wonder what I'm "missing out on."

12. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Many people hate change, even if it's for the better. Of course, there are also some legitimate issues, but those only account for a small percentage of those who express open hatred for Lion on these boards (in my experience). Most of the posts about things like this are from those who are simply annoyed that they have to learn to do something slightly differently than they have been doing it.

jW

13. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Ouch! The truth hurts sometimes! :D I agree!

14. topmounter macrumors 68020

topmounter

I'm surprised no one has mentioned "People w/ crappy Internet connections who don't want to shell out $69 for the Lion USB key".

15. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You just did ;)

What I see missing from this is the fact that they're complaining of spending 30 or 70 bucks yet, prior versions (before Snow Leopard) OSX cost 125. Windows cost significantly more especially when you opt for one of the more premium versions of windows.

People are whining like apple owed them a better OS, yet we got a world class stable operating system and yet apple only charged 30 dollars.

16. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

Bingo, must be people that dont know the newest Windows costs $399 when they get released,

17. tblrsa macrumors regular

Bought it on day one, and after the latest update I´m quite happy with the system. I ´ve cleaned out some old software, which seem to have slowed down Lion. Having Filevault 2 at my disposal alone was worth the upgrade, but Launchpad and Mission Control grew on me too.

18. Steve's Barber macrumors 6502a

I just had to buy a bunch of cheap-assed copies of Home Premium for people in my office for $160 just so they could use bootcamp.

While I often critique Apple's changes in OSX (most notably Lion), their upgrade fees are quite reasonable. Of course it could be said we all paid the rest of those fees in advance with the cost of the original hardware.

19. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I did not have a pleasant experience upgrading to Snow Leopard and still regard Tiger as the best version of OS X just for a functional Spotlight interface.

20. topmounter macrumors 68020

topmounter

I was a little frustrated with Lion, especially with Aperture's performance... Until I upgraded my 24" iMac to 8GB of RAM. Now it feels like a new machine again and I couldn't be happier.