Lion Recovery Partition - how to make an actual disk/USB key?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Eric-PTEK, Jan 13, 2012.

1. Eric-PTEK macrumors 6502

I had to reload my '11 MB Air due to some funny stuff going on so I tried the Recovery Partition.

How do you make a recovery USB key? 5 hours to download the OS and install it. I don't find much unacceptable but this I do. It is absolutely worthless if you have to wait hours upon hours to reinstall the OS of the machine compared to 30-35 minutes off a key.

Can you make a recovery key or am I going to have to pester Apple to give me one?

2. Eric-PTEK thread starter macrumors 6502

3. rw3 macrumors 6502a

rw3

The MacBook Air (2011 Models) can only use Internet Recovery to reinstall the OS...search this part of the forum and you will find that out.

4. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

Me think you are wrong

5. minnus macrumors 6502

No, you can redownload lion on a machine that shipped with lion. Google it - I haven't the time to look at the moment. Something about holding down Alt or Options while in the App Store to show past purchases.

6. rw3 macrumors 6502a

rw3

You're wrong buddy....I think I would know considering I work on Macs everyday....as I work for the company that makes them.

----------

For starters.....

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4905

Another forum thread that also states the obvious....

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1306227&highlight=reinstall

The correct way to get the right InstallESD.dmg file.....

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=13166449&postcount=12

The above is hard to do without another Thunderbolt Mac to do Target Disk Mode....and of course the $50 Apple Cable.

7. halledise macrumors 65816

Hamilton Island, Whitsundays, QLD Australia
    It's very easy to use the Mac App Store's smarts to our own advantage and gain access to a copy of that hardware specific OS build.
    Here's what to do:
    1. Startup the hardware you need an image for from the Recovery HD by holding Command-r at power on time.
    2. Plug in a JHFS+ formatted external disk - either part ion on an external HDD or 16gb usb stick (I've got mine on an 8gb stick)
    3. Select the Re-install OS X Lion option and target the external disk.
    4. Once the Installer finishes downloading, simply shutdown and unplug the disk.
    Now when you mount that external disk you will find a directory named Mac OS X Install Data on the root. Inside of this folder is the elusive, hardware-specific, InstallerESD.dmg image that you can feed to SIU or any other imaging tool of choice.
    Having this installer will now allow you to build out re-deployment images for all of your hardware until rollup installers are available.