Resolved Lion seemed to dumb down my Macbook in unintended ways

Discussion in 'macOS' started by r0k, Jul 20, 2011.

1. r0k, Jul 20, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2011

r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

Lion is supposed to dumb things down a bit for basic users. No (need for) spotlight looking for apps, simply click that rocket thing and get an iOS style view you can endlessly swipe through to find apps.

But wait.

There's more.

Or should I say less.

Under SL, my 2008 Penryn Macbook was geekbenching at 3000+ and most recently at 3300. Now it's down to 2800. 2800. Wow. And the fan is running all the time now. Bummer. No wait. Chrome has flash running. Let me shut that down and come back and 1) rerun geekbench and 2) listen for the fans to go off.

Ok, I'm back with flashblock enabled and the fans only run for geekbench which is now at 2957. Not the highest I've got but closer to average again. Whew.

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I noticed an increase in fan activity as well under Lion.

What bothers me the most is how sensitive Geekbench is to the version of OS X that you are running. I want a performance test of the hardware alone not how well my operating system runs on said hardware.

I have seen the memory benchmark fluctuate far too much moving from Leopard to Snow Leopard. My hardware did not even change!?

3. r0k thread starter macrumors 68040

r0k

Part of the fan issue is spotlight building its index again from scratch. Closing flash slowed the fans but they came back on later and I saw that spotlight indexing had crept to the top of the cpu heap even as chrome had settled down.

I don't mind having geekbench affected by the OS because I care about how things work on my hardware with my current OS more than I care about specific hardware. I used to fixate on that back when I had a PeeCee. I'm eternally grateful to never have to think about what kind of AGP or what version of Direct X. I'm sure there are other benchmarks you can get that are less sensitive to the OS but for me geekbench is good enough to get an idea how quickly I can get my day to day work done.

4. r0k thread starter macrumors 68040

r0k

Back to normal after spotlight indexing...

Today I ran geekbench again and scored 3263. Pretty much back to normal. Spotlight was running last night and flash was running in several chrome tabs. With all that stuff off, my results are back to normal under Lion. :cool: False alarm entirely.

5. Jagardn macrumors 6502a

Are you saying that you can't launch apps with spotlight anymore?