Lion, WIFI, and Linksys, and what works for me

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Shivetya, Aug 24, 2011.

1. Shivetya macrumors 65816

Ever since installing Lion my 2009 i5 iMac has had problems with WIFI connectivity after waking from sleep. The usual routine is, wake from sleep, have WIFI about long enough for Mail to download new email and then its gone. The icon either grays out; most common; or stay lit but all attempts to browse were met with "looking for ...."

Called Apple support, they claimed it was because I was using WEP which I wasn't. They based that on my description of my password (a series of digits). Well long story short, Apple support is useless. When it wasn't that it became the fact I had a Linksys and went downhill from there. I also have an iPad and Dell laptop (work) that have no issues - just like I was under SL.

What I did try and finally settle on is WPA Personal with AES from WPA Personal with TKIP. Some have WPA Personal listed alternatively as WPA Pre Shared Key.

Anyway, for me this works so far. It will probably fail since I posted this

2. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

I'm having similar problems running on WPA2 personal and WPA enterprise networks. I sent in a bug report to Apple, so I'll post anything if they ever get back to me...

Hopefully your solution works until a fix (update) comes out.

3. Shivetya thread starter macrumors 65816

LOL - I jinxed myself, it stopped working three days and reverted back the same behavior after a reboot.

Oh well, off to find another solution

4. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

LOL- I deleted the wifi, then added it again as well as the network info, reset all the cache and then restarted and it connected!!!! I thought I had it resolved as well...but after a wake from sleep no wifi :(

5. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

6. Shivetya thread starter macrumors 65816

OK.

Since I am a subscriber to that idea that knocking on wood is never a good idea and I well never have been know to let that stop me...

Since my last update I have made one change to my wireless configuration that I cannot explain why it has currently corrected the problem.

I changed my WPA2-AES password from ten digits to twenty. After fixing my iPad's configuration and my work laptop everyone is on the network just fine and the iMac has not dropped out or failed to recover after sleep.

Saying that I fully expect when I get home for my iMac to scream "YOU IDIOT - YOU TOLD THEM!" and promptly not let me use wireless again

7. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

Damn, how do you even think of a 20 digit password? 12 digits cause me enough grief unless spaces are allowed.

I'll wait for your update on the situation and spend the next day thinking of a password if it works. ;)

8. Shivetya thread starter macrumors 65816

Girlfriends number and her best friends number works.