Lion's iTunes won't import .MP4 files that were in Snow Leopard's iTunes

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by PatriotInvasion, Jul 21, 2011.

1. PatriotInvasion macrumors 65816

PatriotInvasion

I have a handful of .MP4 Quicktime files that imported just fine into iTunes in Snow Leopard. I clean installed Lion last night and manually added my files back one by one from my Time Capsule. When trying to drag and drop my movies into iTunes, some would import and some wouldn't. These files weren't purchased on iTunes...just ripped HD movie files in .MP4 format.

Again, all of these files were in my Snow Leopard version of iTunes. Any idea why they won't import to iTunes in Lion? They play just fine in Quicktime X.:confused:

2. PatriotInvasion thread starter macrumors 65816

PatriotInvasion

There's gotta be some video experts in here that can help me with this:rolleyes:

3. tdsmth macrumors newbie

After reading your post, I registered to say I'm having the same issue. Though, I upgraded instead of a clean install, so all of my mp4 files were still in iTunes. Reading your post made me curious, since I hadn't even thought to check, so I just clicked on a couple of mp4 files in iTunes to try and get them to play and got this message:

"This movie requires QuickTime, which is not supported by this version of iTunes."

iTunes doesn't support Quicktime now? Are you kidding me? Is Apple really going to disable playing anything but iTunes Store downloaded movie files? This is obviously a decision made and not just some bug.

Does anyone have any idea if there's anything that can be done? Granted, I/we can always just drag the movie file to the desktop and play it via Quicktime, but that defeats the whole purpose of having all my movies conveniently together in iTunes. Unbelievable...

4. PatriotInvasion thread starter macrumors 65816

PatriotInvasion

Hmmm, this is strange though because some of my .MP4 movies imported and some didn't even though they were all created the same way (exported from EyeTV software to iTunes). It's very weird:confused:

Anyone else have any idea how to get these into iTunes? These are huge HD movie files so really don't want to have to import to iMovie or anything (10+GB files).

5. Jerome Morrow macrumors 6502a

Jerome Morrow

i think it's Perian. If you try to open those files in QTX it won't, right?

6. tdsmth macrumors newbie

Just changed iTunes to 32 bit and all files play just fine now.

As for QTX, mp4 files play just fine in that as well.

7. PatriotInvasion thread starter macrumors 65816

PatriotInvasion

I did reinstall Flip4Mac, but not Perian yet. How could Flip4Mac be preventing me from importing .MP4 files to 64-bit iTunes? I don't get how the two are related. I thought Flip4Mac just installs a Quicktime plugin to play WMV content.

Are you saying that once Flip4Mac and Perian make 10.7 updates, I may then be able to import these .MP4's to iTunes?:confused:

8. tdsmth macrumors newbie

That seems to be this case from what I've read.

9. PatriotInvasion thread starter macrumors 65816

PatriotInvasion

Also - Anyone experiencing audio issues playing back videos in 64-bit iTunes? Some of my movies that were able to import have the audio/voice a few seconds off with the video. :mad:

10. PatriotInvasion thread starter macrumors 65816

PatriotInvasion

Tried converting these .MP4's to different formats with SmartConverter in the App Store. They still won't go into iTunes. So weird...:(

11. ljonesj macrumors 6502a

ljonesj

weird my mp4 files that i put in myself work fine in lion and i added one after the upgrade worked fine

12. vernehenzel macrumors newbie

Optimized MP4 File

Late to the party, but I had this problem today. I made an MP4 from an MOV in OpenShiiva on a Snow Leopard Mac and it would not play in QuickTime on a Lion Mac. I went back and selected the "Optimize MP4 File" option and it worked.