"Lipstick on a pig..." - Big deal or not?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Unspeaked, Sep 10, 2008.

?

What do you think of the "lipstick on a pig" comment?

1. I don't see any problem with Obama's working or context.

75 vote(s)
    88.2%
  2. What Obama said was insulting and he should issue an apology.

10 vote(s)
    11.8%
  1. Unspeaked macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

So the big story in the Palin soap opera today is Obama's recent "lipstick on a pig" comment that he claims wasn't directed at her.

What do you think? Was it wrong? Should he apologize, as the McCain camp has requested?

LINK

2. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

Ridiculous. It's a fairly common phrase that many people have been using for quite a while now.

He shouldn't have to apologize for the McCain campaign's desire to paint every remark made by anybody as a sexist attack against Palin.

EDIT: McCain used the same phrase when attacking Hillary's "healthcare" plan in October.

3. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

I feel I must stand up for pigs here,they don't indulge in the lying conniving behaviour extremely common amongst politicians.

4. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

In response to the OP, I don't believe Obama owes Palin an apology any more than Biden owes Obama an apology for telling a National Guardsman at the DNC, “If I had hair like you I’d be president, you know what I mean? I wouldn’t be screwing around with this job.”

5. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

I'd like to see McCain answer for his sexism as well then. If his campaign is going to jump on this phrase when he himself used it, when talking about another woman's campaign, they have to answer for their own campaign's sexism.

6. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

This is just frackin' ludicrous. Are the people running for President in grade school? Can we please get these idiots to discuss some issues?

7. g4cubed macrumors 6502a

g4cubed

Ya right. Then you'd know both aren't worth a damn. :mad:

8. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

That will hopefully happen in the debates, but for some odd reason I think the POW card is going to be played heavily there and somehow issues will still be avoided.

I think each campaign should have to drag around a FactCheck.org team around with them and let them speak after every speech or debate answer and set the record straight on which claims in the speech were exaggerated and which were complete lies/fabrications.

Maybe, just maybe, that would actually force the candidates to talk at least a little about their policies/positions rather than to keep making dubious or completely false accusations about their opponent and their opponent's plans, but until we have a reliable method for flagging fabrications, exaggerations and lies, they will continue because a disturbing number of voters will take what ever is said by the candidate with the correct letter after their name as the gospel truth.

9. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

as a scam as Palin is, kept repeating a lie multiple times, I think Obama should call her out as a scam, this is quite light in my dictionary.

Shameless lie, only pig can repeat it all the time without feeling bad, because pigs have no brains.

10. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

Why is she offended by this?
    I dont get it... The saying is quite true.

OH! Now I get it, she thinks he was talking about HER.
    So she thinks she is a pig?... :confused:

11. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

12. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

The more I think about it, the more I wish the campaign and Palin would claim more and more sexism, especially in situations like this.

Even better if you can get her making the claim on video so you can put it right next to a video of McCain using the same phrase to describe Clinton's healthcare plan.

The more they play the POW and sexism card the less voters will respond to either claim, especially when they play that card for something this inane.

13. Queso macrumors G4

+1 with rdowns. Looking at your candidates and how they behave I'm actually starting to despise Gordon Brown less.

14. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Obama today:

15. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

Make it into an ad campaign.

16. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

Excellent! except there is no news story, so it will go unnoticed ;)

BTW, do you have the link to the quote?

17. Unspeaked thread starter macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

Yeah, that's among the most sincere, level headed things I've heard come from Obama.

They should totally use that to spin this "negative" into a positive.

Things like that do wonders to attract the on-the-fence, independent voters that each candidate covets at the moment.

18. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

19. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

I can't believe that 8 people have voted for 'it's offensive and he should appologise'. What nonsense.

20. JW8725 macrumors 6502a

I'm happy to say she is a pig with lipstick on though.:p

21. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

22. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

me too..:D

23. calculus Guest

calculus

As a general rule I am opposed to the testing of beauty products on animals...