Liquid damaged MBP 2018 - guidance on whether to repair or not please

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by marmiteturkey, Apr 27, 2019.

1. marmiteturkey, Apr 27, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2019

marmiteturkey macrumors 6502a

marmiteturkey

i took my 15in 2018 MBP in for the blue spots on the screen issue, which they immediately agreed to repair.
    I just had a call to say that there was evidence of water ingress and liquid residue on the IO board, screen cables and another part; they’ve quoted me £650 for the out-of-warranty repair. I guess I must have splashed coffee or water on it at some point, though I don’t remember anything catastrophic.

The laptop cost £2700 (on which I can reclaim the VAT, so £2,200) six months ago and so that price for the repair is obviously worth it for me. However, the tech has said they may find more damage as they explore and the cost may go up; and I’m worried that even if they don’t, problems may emerge in future.

Is there anything else I should be considering, or should I be thinking about this in a different way? I need a reliable laptop for my business and I do have the money in my business account if I needed to replace the laptop outright, but I’d obviously rather not... is it a false economy to sink up to £1k into the repair and should I cut my losses?

Guidance appreciated!

2. Glockworkorange macrumors 68000

Glockworkorange

So the fix for liquid damage, and I've had water damage and had it fixed on a 2018 MBP, is to gut and replace the innards of the machine. The logic board is replaced and so is the battery, trackpad and keyboard.

"Fixing" the water damage should prevent future problems.

It's cheaper than a new machine, so I'd go for it.

3. _Kiki_ macrumors 6502a

£650 it's actually quite cheap for liquid damage repair, so it's not a bad deal

4. marmiteturkey thread starter macrumors 6502a

marmiteturkey

Thanks both, these are exactly the responses I was hoping for and really useful to me. Button pushed, now waiting for the return of my Mac...