List of Apple Employees Authorized to Carry Pre-Release iPhones Personally Monitored by Steve Jobs

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 21, 2010.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In the wake of this week's leak of the next-generation iPhone after an employee left the device in Redwood City, California bar, much has been made of Apple's tight security standards regarding its unreleased products. One tidbit of note shared by Bloomberg today is that the list of Apple personnel authorized to carry pre-release products like the iPhone in question is personally overseen by Apple CEO Steve Jobs.
    Industry observers suggest that Apple may tighten its security due to this incident, further restricting access to high-level executives. The iPhone has proved to be a unique challenge for Apple's security, as the need for it to interface with cellular networks across the country demands that it be subjected to field testing in a variety of locations and settings.

Prior to the launch of the original iPhone in 2007, a team of 200 AT&T technicians supplementing Apple's own team had access to the device in order to put it through its paces and ensure that the cellular network was ready to handle the device. The iPhone itself had, however, been introduced in January of that year, and thus its design and features were well-known, limiting the risk of putting it into the hands of others.

Article Link: List of Apple Employees Authorized to Carry Pre-Release iPhones Personally Monitored by Steve Jobs

2. mobi macrumors 6502

mobi

3. nutjob macrumors 6502a

What's the point of monitoring the list? It's the people who have the phone who they should be keeping an eye on.

4. headfuzz macrumors 6502

headfuzz

Oooooooooh, he let Steve down personally.

That's gonna hurt.

5. patsfan83 macrumors regular

6. alent1234 macrumors 603

why can't apple PR just release all these stories at once on the same day?

7. jpyc7 macrumors 6502

The execs aren't going to do any real testing. Sure, they can provide "user feedback" for real-world experience, but Apple needs to have employees that will run actual tests off-campus. Obviously, those employees don't necessarily need to do testing inside a bar/restaurant.

8. DeepIn2U macrumors 603

DeepIn2U

Another reason to put AT&T's lagging drive to better its network, into the dust.

Now all the news is focusing on iPhone, just as much as the iPad. Stay tuned for another whole site articles based on iPhone within the weeks to come.

I think really should start to learn this Mac.
    Man I love this keyboard.

9. Robert M. macrumors 6502a

Robert M.

Yeah, that old picture is a no no! :(

This whole thing is getting out of hand. At first I thought it was fake, then a controlled leak. But now I don't know what to believe...

10. iSee macrumors 68040

iSee

I wouldn't neccessarily tighten security because of this. This is the kind of mistake that fixes itself: no one wants to be the next Gray Powell.

11. MyBrainIsSpeakn macrumors member

One of the worst things to do in a business? Get trusted by the CEO... and fail the trust... ouchy. For the guy who lost it sake, I hope he was kin to Steve. lol

12. Rot'nApple macrumors 65816

Rot'nApple

I wonder if Steve's Product Pre-Release carry list just shorten by one... as well as Steve's Christmas card list! ;):D

13. splashnader macrumors 6502a

splashnader

I bet this employee, the one that left the iphone in the bar, is going to be really popular at work now. Especially if Steve starts collecting iphone 4G's from all but a handfull of top exec's.

14. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Why the hell did he have it out off campus? It was his birthday - not like he was going to be doing much Apple related work on the baseband, whilst drinking, on his birthday...

15. apttap macrumors member

apttap

You know what, I operate my iphone drunk at least once or twice a week. Sounds like some valid real world testing to me.

16. 11800506 macrumors 65816

That picture is at least 10 years old... if not older. I know it's from Apple's official PR profile page on Steve, but couldn't you guys have used a slightly newer picture?

17. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

18. splashnader macrumors 6502a

splashnader

I am still trying to figure out how the guy left the phone in the bar in the first place. I have had my iphone since 2008, and bought the original in 2007. I have never once lost my iphone. I have never once not known where my iphone was. Maybe it's because I am anal and keep the thing strapped to my belt. But I can't go more than a few minutes without looking down to make sure my iphone is still there.

Somethng tells me this employee isn't really a big iphone fan. he probably could careless about the device itself, as he just lugs it around as some thing on his person. Nobody who really cares about the iphone or tech in general would be so careless amd make it all the way home from the bar before they realized what had happened.

Of course he could have just been really drunk. :D But if that is the case why did he drive home. :eek:

19. i.mac macrumors 6502a

no drinking while on possession of unreleased idev

these are my rules:

1. have idev for testing, no drinking allowed.
    2. have idev for testing, attach the idev to a significant part of your body so that you'll cry if the idev is yanked or left behind
    3. have idev for testing, see rule number 1.

20. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Who cares who oversees access? An engineer isn't going to be inherently less trustworthy than the CEO.

21. calsci macrumors 6502

calsci

Seems like something that steve would do. He has to be the controller of the apple ecosystem at all times.

22. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

I wonder if Gray Powell either gets the kiss of death from Steve at the next Christmas party, or wakes up in bed with a dead horse head.

If not, I'm guessing Gray is at least off Steve's list.

23. MyBrainIsSpeakn macrumors member

Was probably drinking, stood up vigorously, phone slipped out his shorts pocket... and went home drunk...

Some people lose stuff very easily. lol

24. splashnader macrumors 6502a

splashnader

I guess you are right. :)

25. strike1555 macrumors 6502

What a stupid comment. You don't get on a short list like that if your not a "big iphone phone fan."