Carrier List of eSim providers (Prepaid vs Postpaid)

Chargerdan

macrumors member
May 24, 2011
Those that use esim, can I have esim with one provider and a pay as you go with another provider? I want to switch to O2 for my main contract line but I figured I might as well keep my EE pay as you go sim in the phone for business use?
Yes you can use it in this manner. I have my phone setup this way to get the better coverage using 2 different carriers.

The hard part is making sure one carrier supports eSIM for the plan type you want to use. Since all of the carriers support regular SIM's that won't be an issue for that part.

I'm not in the UK but I believe EE supports eSIM. I'm just not sure if it's for all of their plans so you need to check on that first. I don't know about O2 but if they don't support eSIM then you should be able to use a physical SIM.

Pez555

macrumors 68020
Apr 18, 2010
Yes you can use it in this manner. I have my phone setup this way to get the better coverage using 2 different carriers.

The hard part is making sure one carrier supports eSIM for the plan type you want to use. Since all of the carriers support regular SIM's that won't be an issue for that part.

I'm not in the UK but I believe EE supports eSIM. I'm just not sure if it's for all of their plans so you need to check on that first. I don't know about O2 but if they don't support eSIM then you should be able to use a physical SIM.
great thanks. Yea I already have esim with EE. Just looking to move to O2 as I moved house and O2 has the best signal in this area!

cheers

bluespark

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2009
Chicago
Leave your Primary SIM in place and use KnowRoaming or Ubigi as your eSIM for data. I’ve used KnowRoaming in Croatia and Greece and it has worked very well with fast LTE service for my data, and I still use my normal provider for text and voice calls.
Would you mind sharing what settings you use for that? I rarely travel internationally but have a European trip coming up. I'd like to do what I think you're saying -- keep my US Verizon SIM for voice/texts and buy prepaid eSIM service for data (including iMessages). But I'm worried about getting a setting wrong and being destroyed by Verizon prices.

EDH667

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2009
Northern California
Would you mind sharing what settings you use for that? I rarely travel internationally but have a European trip coming up. I'd like to do what I think you're saying -- keep my US Verizon SIM for voice/texts and buy prepaid eSIM service for data (including iMessages). But I'm worried about getting a setting wrong and being destroyed by Verizon prices.
I had xfinity mobile which uses Verizon towers domestically but doesn't have the $10.00 a day International plan that Verizon charges. At the end of the month I paid only about $2.50 extra for several texts and a few phone calls using Xfinity for voice and text and KnowRoaming for data. We had friends along on our trip that were dinged $10.00 when they accidentally made a phone call and another time when they texted.

I don't know if you are able to disable TravelPass with Verizon and still use Voice calls and Texts at international rates. If you are, then using the eSIM with KnowRoaming for data would be a good option.

Super Spartan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 10, 2018
Dubai
Just activated my eSim on Virgin Mobile in Dubai on my iPhone 11 Pro. After activating it, I removed the nano sim and it's working like a charm!

valkyrie917

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2019
Does anyone know if Ubigi/GigSky/TruPhone or any of the sim data providers have LTE coverage in Sydney, Australia? I’m traveling there soon and would like to use one of these rather than picking up a local SIM like I usually do. It's always better a better value to get a local prepaid SIM but my work trip is only 6 days and I'd like to try this out since work is paying for it anyway. Might as well see if I like this process and can decide on person trips what to do.
- - Post merged: - -

I had xfinity mobile which uses Verizon towers domestically but doesn't have the $10.00 a day International plan that Verizon charges. At the end of the month I paid only about $2.50 extra for several texts and a few phone calls using Xfinity for voice and text and KnowRoaming for data. We had friends along on our trip that were dinged $10.00 when they accidentally made a phone call and another time when they texted.

I don't know if you are able to disable TravelPass with Verizon and still use Voice calls and Texts at international rates. If you are, then using the eSIM with KnowRoaming for data would be a good option.
How are you liking their service? Is the speed the same as Verizon? MVNOs tend to be slower, right? Does it get deprioritzed or throttled in a noticeable way?

EDIT: Every time I think about switching, 15 min later, I remember why I can't. lol. I'm on the Apple Upgrade plan and I need to be on one of the Big carriers to stay eligible. I get a pretty good work discount though. 5gb to share w/ phone & Apple Watch for about $65/mo incl taxes. But I'd still like to know what the Xfinity service is like.

Last edited:

EDH667

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2009
Northern California
Does anyone know if Ubigi/GigSky/TruPhone or any of the sim data providers have LTE coverage in Sydney, Australia? I’m traveling there soon and would like to use one of these rather than picking up a local SIM like I usually do. It's always better a better value to get a local prepaid SIM but my work trip is only 6 days and I'd like to try this out since work is paying for it anyway. Might as well see if I like this process and can decide on person trips what to do.
- - Post merged: - -

How are you liking their service? Is the speed the same as Verizon? MVNOs tend to be slower, right? Does it get deprioritzed or throttled in a noticeable way?

EDIT: Every time I think about switching, 15 min later, I remember why I can't. lol. I'm on the Apple Upgrade plan and I need to be on one of the Big carriers to stay eligible. I get a pretty good work discount though. 5gb to share w/ phone & Apple Watch for about $65/mo incl taxes. But I'd still like to know what the Xfinity service is like.
I have had Xfinity Mobile for almost two years and have been very happy with the speed and coverage. I haven't noticed any throttling or deprioritization in any way. I am a pretty light user, so I haven't used enough data to be subject to any caps.

VizagDude

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2018
USA

T-Mobile: No official post-paid support (some have been successful in a work-around but it isn't guaranteed and T-Mobile will not support if there is a problem). Pre-paid eSIM available via the T-Mobile eSIM app.
I was looking at this tread and I hope this information gets updated. T-Mobile USA does support post-paid eSIM. I am a Post Paid customer and I have eSIM on my 11 Pro Max. All you have to do is, go to any TMo store and they would switch you to eSIM

fatlardo

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2011
Just did an online chat and moved my t mobile sim to esim. It was quick and easy.

snyp1193

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2019
Canada
There's a new eSIM company called Airalo. They're based out of Singapore and they provide very cheap eSIMs around the world. You can also find vouchers on social media for some free credit. I've used the eSIMS in UK (3UK Network), Greece (WIND Network), US (AT&T Network), and Canada (Rogers Network) and they all work great with fast LTE speeds. It's also great with DSDS if you need extra data for the month for cheap.

http://airalo.com/

Reactions: ravic