list of ppl who pledge to buy iPhone if HD gets bigger

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bmorris, Aug 28, 2008.

1. bmorris macrumors 6502

bmorris

for ppl like me who want a real phone/iPod,
    i would be more than happy to wait in line for an iPhone with say 32GB or 50Gb.

so if ur like me and on the fence but would buy an iPhone with a larger HD,
    sign below:

bmorris

2. wolfattack macrumors member

the reason it is just 8gb and 16gb right now is because flash drives are much more expensive that hard drives. So when you say "larger HD" you are incorrect, there is no hard drive in an iphone.

3. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5C1 Safari/525.20)

If I pledge are there meetings? A newsletter? Bake sale?

4. daihard macrumors 6502a

daihard

Word has it that Apple will announce a 64GB iPod touch this September. It means 32GB flash chips will be available. Hopefully that will translate to a 32GB iPhone announced shortly after, if not at the same time.

5. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Dang, I'm already committed to three different 12 Step Meetings...:p

6. atomicblastkarl macrumors newbie

If you have (current) music tastes that fill over 16 gigs of space, then props to you. I myself listen to an absurd amount of music, but not even my current tastes can fill 16 gigs. If you want a larger space for movies, and actually have the time to watch movies on a phone... fine. If not, then why are you complaining?

7. bassproguy07 macrumors 6502a

bassproguy07

Fail Fail Fail

buy a freaking iphone, and get an ipod I have both and it woks just fine this post receives an EPIC fail. sorry but people who want more all the time just get on my nerves:mad:

8. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

how many phones have 16GB of internal storage, or even with expandable memory how many of them can be expanded to 16GB and are in the price range (with the micro SD card) of the iPhone?

9. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

I pledge to NEVER buy an iPhone WITH a HD and since Apple is not likely to ever use a HD what are you going to do?

10. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

My iTunes Library is a little bit over 70 GB.

I could wait until 2010 and get an iPhone that will hold it all, or I could get the 16 GB one last month and enjoy my life.

Guess which one I chose?

11. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

i have to say, what's the point of waiting for a 32GB? When was the last time you were away from your computer long enough to listen to al 16GB of content on your iPhone. or 8GB for that matter? Would it be a nice option to have? Sure. But as far as a reason to hold off getting a 3G, I must say it fails. It truly doesn't take too long to sync content onto the phone. Just listen to what you've got, and when it's time for more, plug it in and re-sync.

As far as movies go, I learned from an 8GB 1st gen that its worth the little bit of extra time to run iSquint after Handbrake and have 2 copies of each movie. Use Handbrake for the initial rip, high quality. Then use iSquint to make an iPhone-friendly version that looks great on the phone and is a small file. Works great, and I can fit a ton of movies on my iPhone that take up a small amount of space on the flash drive.

12. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

This Thread = FAIL!

Why? :

1. 64GB FLASH (remember, flash is a component of SSD) is nowhere in site!
    2. 32GB Is way too expensive!
    3. What will distinguish b/w iPod Touch and iPhone

13. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

The iPhone and iPod Touch do not have a HD.

Rather they have flash memory.

The iPhone has one flash memory slot, and the iPod Touch as two flash memory slots. Therefore, at this time, the iPod Touch will have twice the memory as the iPhone.

Currently, the largest used is 16GB which is why the largest capacity iPhone has 16GB and the iPod Touch has 32GB.

14. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

To be precise, there is no Flash drive either. There's just a bare Flash memory chip. The OS must provide the appearance of a drive to applications.

Bare chips cost about $45 for a 16GB chip versus $200 for a 16GB solid state drive.

15. Cuthbert macrumors regular

All the nerds correcting you can stick it! They're just sad that they went out to buy the 4 gb version. I on the other hand, like you, am waiting for an upgrade in the flash memory.

I work hard and have enough money to spend on the larger storage space. I would also use it. I have over 200 movies and more tv shows stored on external HDs for my apple TV. 16 gb is not nearly enough space to carry a proper selection of both music and movies for me.

Aside from lots of movies, I also have plenty of patience. I'll be holding out for more storage before prematurely blowing my wad on a piddly 16 gb iphone like the rest of the yahoos in this thread. :D

16. iCantwait macrumors 65816

iCantwait

Why havent you been banned yet, all i see of you post are constant smart ass-ish comments like that one... I Love it keep up the good work:D

17. slicecom macrumors 68020

18. d wade macrumors 65816

d wade

+1 :D

19. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I'd buy it! lol

I could use that to fend off muggers as well as place calls.

20. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

You know, a really killer feature for iTunes 8 would be file linking for stuff like this. After you make these, you could tell iTunes to treat it as one file and only ever show it to you as one file. But it would know to play the large one on the computer and on AppleTV, but it would sync the small one to iPods and iPhones.

You could either link up files you've made (as you do) or you can download a large video (with DRM) from the store and then iTunes creates the small version once it's downloaded (so no extra bandwidth for Apple.)

It would be the same as how large photos on the computer get shrunk down for the iPod without you doing anything.

Anyway, off topic, but your post made me think about this.

21. WishIWasHere macrumors regular

Yep, as soon as they jump to 32gb, I'll go get one. I understand people saying it's good enough to buy an iPod in addition to the iPhone, but doesn't that kind of ruin the all-in-one device appeal? For me, it's not really a complaint about having 'only' 16gb, it's just making the point that it's not large enough to suit my particular wants. I currently have an original 8gb iPhone and it stays completely full, and there are many things I would like to keep on it but I can't. And it's true that watching a full length movie on my iPhone is something that I would do rarely, but tv shows are another matter entirely. I happen to be a big fan of the sit coms, and there are many many episodes of my favorites that I would love to have on my iPhone. Since they average about 22 minutes apiece, they are perfectly fine to watch on the iPhone when you've got a little bit of time to kill. And yes, I can keep them on my computer and just rely on synching, but that's just not as good as having them all on the phone all the time.

22. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

It looks bad on an Apple product but this is usually the case with all the high end 'n series' nokias! Pieces of crap!

23. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

I have dibs on Rice Krispy Treats. It's not a question of if, it's a question of when. iPhones don't have HDs; they have flash drives, and the cell, 3G, and GPS radios take up more space than is taken up in the iPod Touch. Once 32 GB drives come down to a reasonable price, there will be an upgrade.

24. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

Fail because the iPhone doesn't have a HD.

25. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

These type of responses are why I love this place. :)

I already have a 3G and an original flavor iPhone. Of course I'd buy it if/when it is available...