List of Pros and Cons of Glossy/Antiglare

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SonicBoom1981, May 27, 2010.

1. SonicBoom1981 macrumors regular

There's load of threads arguing about what is better and why, and a lot of confusion. So to help we can compile a pros and cons list of the Glossy and the Antiglare displays.

I've used both a standard resolution Glossy and a Hi-Res AntiGlare, and have my preference. Feel free to post and add to the list, which I will update, or disagree with the choices I've made!

Hopefully this will help some of those who are still unsure.

Glossy

Pros:

• Vibrant colourful crisp display with glossy finish
    • Available in both 1440 x 900 and 1680 x 1050 resolutions
    • Looks great, design-wise
    • Looks great when watching movies/playing games
    • Easy to clean
    • Improved rigitity to display

Cons:
    • Reflections from the glass can be distracting
    • Prolonged use can be a strain on the eyes
    • Shows finger prints easily

Antiglare

Pros:
    • Vibrant colourful crisp display with matte finish
    • Very little issues from reflections
    • Looks great, design–wise, classic feel
    • Looks great when watching movies/playing games

Cons:
    • Costs more money
    • Only available in 1680 x 1050 resolution
    • Not a great viewing angle, in particular vertically

2. EstrlM3 macrumors 6502

christmas in may?!

also antiglare has worse viewing angles.

3. kasakka macrumors 68000

Glossy is easier to clean. I imagine it would also be slightly more durable by making the lid more rigid.

4. Mintin8 macrumors 6502a

Mintin8

5. bigjobby macrumors 65816

For the majority of times I would position the screen perpendicular to my eye-line anyway like any other display so that's not a problem. Would find it a bit strange to use a computer, regardless of brand, laptop or desktop at funky angles... just doesn't make sense unless one is trying to avoid reflections or glare.

6. bigjobby macrumors 65816

... oh! And dust and grime is alot more noticeable on gloss screens when displays are on.

7. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

AG is much better for watching movies. Because they are dark and with reasonable brightness you have a lot of small annoying reflections.

8. Bosmonster macrumors member

The AG's dimmed down colors and viewing angle problems make them not really suitable for watching movies.

Video looks A LOT nicer on the glossy.

9. chopper dave macrumors regular

Biggest con for both: we have to see new threads started on the subject once a month for the last 4 years.

But seriously, I've had both, and glossy has deeper blacks and crisper image, cleans much easier. AG is, of course, AG so you can work near direct light sources.

10. SonicBoom1981 thread starter macrumors regular

Video may look a bit different on an AG, but it still looks great. One of the first things I noticed was how good the HD footage looked on the AG.

11. Bosmonster macrumors member

Of course. Nobody is saying the AG is a bad screen. But put them next to each other and you'll see much brighter colors, much deeper blacks and an allround crispier image, as chopper dave said, on a glossy screen.

This isnt just for MBP's, this counts for all screens.

The AG is good for one thing: reduce reflections. You will get reduced performance on about every other aspect, which is quite logical, considering they put a matte film on the screen to prevent those reflections.

12. dsprimal macrumors 6502a

dsprimal

pros (glossy): vibrant colors, sexier appeal
    cons (glossy): glare

helloooo captain obvious ;)

13. caonimadebi macrumors regular

the glossy glass also provides much improved rigidity to the display assembly. My previous aluminum powerbook screen warped slightly (from normal use) after 3 years. I doubt my uMBP with glass will be the same. Now I'm much more comfortable putting stuff on top of the laptop when it is closed.

14. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

I dont particularly like the silver bezel on the antiglare. I went with the high res glossy and i love it

15. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

I've always opted for matte, but after Apple replaced my SR MBP with a glossy i5 I've used the glossy. I could have payed the extra for the AG, but I would have to wait and because of the volcanic ash problems I took the Glossy i5, I jut couldn't go for two weeks with no computer.

After using glossy for nearly 4 weeks now I can say that it is inferior in any way!

Cons:
    1. Glare.
    2. Colors doesn't look real, way too over saturated and I can't really calibrate it properly.
    3. Glare
    4. And glare.

Pros:
    1. Easy to clean.
    2. You can fix ur hair without buying a mirror

The matte screen on my SR MBP was superior in any conditions.

Don't get me wrong, it's a really decent screen, better than almost any other computer I have access to, but the SR MBP matte screen was better.
    I can't comment on the new high res AG tho, since I really haven't had time to use one under proper lighted conditions compared with other quality screens.

16. Sequin macrumors regular

Glossy pro for girls: You can check to see how your hair looks without anyone realizing :)

17. Gorilla Power macrumors 6502

Gorilla Power

You forgot the best pro for glossy after crispier colors - seamless and continuous black glass bezel ! AG bezel looks like its from year 2003. :D

[​IMG]

Also, "Prolonged use can be a strain on the eyes" -- source please ?

18. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

The vertical viewing angles are worse than normal, at least with the 9CBB screen that I have. The screen literally has to be almost exactly normal to your eyes in order to avoid color shifts.

19. vant macrumors 65816

This should be added.

20. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

I definitely prefer anti-glare screen, simply because the idea behind my laptop is to be mobile, and generally it is not easy to control the light and reflections. Whenever I'm home though, I just connect the MBP to my ACD.

21. AndrewCjDuong macrumors member

I prefer glossy at night. Anti-glare at day. Rather have Anti-glare but wasn't available for 13 inch. Also the anti-glare doesn't show fingerprints... or as much.

22. diablo2112 macrumors 6502

glossy con: glass surface is close to the keyboard when closed, some report imprints on the glass as a result.

AG pro: recessed screen prevents key imprints

23. teerexx52 macrumors 68000

teerexx52

Has anyone had this happen? Curious as I have had macbook pros for years and never had it. Thankfully. Was thinking about buying one of those cloths to go on the keyboard when shut.

Love my glossy standard res:)

24. SonicBoom1981 thread starter macrumors regular

Some have said that they cant use a Glossy as long as the Antiglare, and through personal experience, the AG has not caused me any problems like that, when the Glossy has.