List of speakers that you can connect an Airport Express?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by JoelMarcey, Aug 2, 2010.

1. JoelMarcey macrumors 6502

JoelMarcey

I have been trying to do some research on a pair of speakers that I can use around the house. Right now, I just have my iMac speakers and some headphones.

Optimally I would like to have a pair of speakers set in the living room that I can automatically wirelessly stream my iTunes music to.

Right now the only ones that I have seen (via this forum and on the web) that I can directly connect an Airport Express to are the AudioEngine A5. I believe with these you literally plug the airport express to the back of them, if I understand them correctly.

Is there a list somewhere of speakers that are Airport Express enabled or can others provide alternatives to the AudioEngine A5?

Thanks.

2. steviem macrumors 68020

steviem

Anything with a 3.5mm jack, or even an aux input of 2 RCA plugs.

What I'd really like to do is get an amplifier and a pair of nice bookshelf speakers and use that, but just a pair of PC speakers will do you fine.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

4. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

You can also connect direct digital to your processor/receiver by S/PDIF using a mini optical cable.;)

5. JoelMarcey thread starter macrumors 6502

JoelMarcey

Oh ... well, that opens up the possibilities then, doesn't it? :rolleyes:

I guess I just misunderstood how the Airport Express w/ AirTunes worked. So you just plug the Airport Express into the wall and the speakers into the airport express via the 3.5mm jack. OK, I think I see now.

Well, now I have to decide which speakers to get out of the infinite world of options. Sometimes it is better just to have one or two options. ;)

6. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

No, you plug the Airport into a receiver/processor/stereo system and the speakers into the system. The Airport is just a source and not an amp or pre amp.

You could buy powered speakers that have attenuation control (usually cheep PC type speakers) and plug directly into it.

7. JoelMarcey thread starter macrumors 6502

JoelMarcey

Ahh...Ok. So I have no stereo system at all. No receiver. No stereo. So that would mean I would need something like the AudioEngine or other powered speakers, like you said. Well, that dwindles my choices a bit, then.

8. BiggAW macrumors 68020

He's thinking of computer speakers, which have the amp built in.

For using a reciever/amp, Monoprice has the minijack to RCA cables for a couple of bucks.

There's a hack for the Airport too that allows you to hijack the system's audio and output it to the Airport which makes the Airport 1000x more useful sicne it could handle any local or streaming audio source.

9. JoelMarcey thread starter macrumors 6502

JoelMarcey

I am thinking of ordering the M-Audio AV 40 set to try out. I heard they were good. So to hook those up to the Airport, I would need to buy this cable:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/M9573LL/A

(Not that I would buy that expensive Monster cable -- but I need to buy that type of cable, right?)

Edit: This cable would work just as well, right: http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Audio-Cable-Splitter-1-Mini/dp/B00004Z5CP/ref=pd_cp_e_1 ??