Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

.JahJahwarrior.

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 1, 2007
It's my left fan....it's done this twice. Sleeping then restart a few times cures it....tonight I recorded some sound in Audacity, the lid was closed but it sounds about like it did to me. About 10 seconds in you hear it bog down or something....

I have something like 1 month left on applecare. (only had 1 year) I have something like two years left on a Circuit City 3 year plan. What should I do?

Soundclip loaded on Mediafire.com

Short clip, something like 316kb.

Basically, how sick is my fan?

DaBrain

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2007
ERIE, PA
It's my left fan....it's done this twice. Sleeping then restart a few times cures it....tonight I recorded some sound in Audacity, the lid was closed but it sounds about like it did to me. About 10 seconds in you hear it bog down or something....

I have something like 1 month left on applecare. (only had 1 year) I have something like two years left on a Circuit City 3 year plan. What should I do?

Soundclip loaded on Mediafire.com

Short clip, something like 316kb.

Basically, how sick is my fan?

Sounds like a fan going bad to me! It could go any time or last a long time, but that noise would drive me nuts!--))) I'd get the fan(s) replaced.

That's just me! ;)

JE-Illustration

macrumors member
Feb 21, 2008
Toledo, OH
wow that does sound like a bad fan. I would download iStat Pro widget. It should tell you the speed and such of the fan. If the speed is good, which means it's cooling your system, then if you can take the noise... it should be fine.

What I would do is use your applecare and get this fixed while you have it. Don't' count on Circuit City's plan. I bought one back in 2000 with my clam shell iBook. With a month left my adapter wire totally separated in the plastic "covering"... called them and basically everything is a "wear and tare" issue.

I really hope Apple fixes this problem with the mac books. I had to fix a ladies' fan recently in hers. And a buddy of mine had issues with his fan. Just reminds me of the logic board issue with the iBooks that apple never really took care of fixing(because people had taken to applecare multiple times).

Use the apple care you paid for while you can!

.JahJahwarrior.

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 1, 2007
Only problem is, I can't make it make this problem. It's only done it twice, and by sleeping and rstarting (basically, turning fans off and turning them on again) it goes away. So if I take it in, they'll probably want me to show them the problem, and I can't really, right?

My campus here has a computer repair place, and they sell Apple stuff in the store. Do you think I can take it in there? I need to go read up on Applecare and service centers and whatnot. I can't really do being without a computer for very long in this modern world of technology :) (and my PC bit the dust a while back completely...)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.