Lite-on’s $59 Blu-ray Drive

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by mdntcallr, Jul 15, 2009.

1. mdntcallr macrumors 65816

mdntcallr

Lite-on’s $59 Blu-ray Drive
    -------------------
    http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/news/show/Lite-on/HD_Gear/Computer_Hardware/Industry_Trends/Lite-on%E2%80%99s_$59_Blu-ray_Drive/3069

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

You should quote the article since not a word of your post is original.

3. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

4. mdntcallr thread starter macrumors 65816

mdntcallr

Sorry at this point it is ridiculous that Apple doesn't support Blu-Ray. People, speak up and let Apple know, WE WANT BLU-RAY.

Time for consumers to have a choice instead of Apple deciding for us. Like many of us here, I love Mac's and Mac software, and even itunes and apple tv.

But many of us also buy BD discs and want to be able to access them on our mac's, both portable and desktop.

Please apple, start listening to consumers

5. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

90%+ of consumers don't give a crap about Blu-ray.

6. MTI macrumors 65816

Yes, I can't begin to estimate how many times I've seen potential buyers of Apple computers storm out the door because there were no Blu-Ray drives!

Rise up all you silly buyers of soon to be out-dated optical disks, rise up!

7. upinflames900 macrumors 6502a

upinflames900

I would like to see blue ray on apple in the near term future. It is definitely being put into PCs so why not in macs? At least make it an option especially as prices continue to drop as posted by the OP.

8. armoguy94 macrumors 6502

That is not true, at all. I'm sure, actually, that the vast majority of consumers with big high definition TVs would give plenty of craps about Blu-Ray.

9. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

And therefore millions of people do.

Having said that, the drives are available but it's the software that's lacking. We should be pestering Cyberlink, Intervideo etc to provide playback software.

10. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

It's more than that. It requires code in the OS to play Blu-ray Discs that have encryption and HDCP. Plus, software on the disc can modify the OS if necessary (e.g., Blu-ray Plus). I suspect Apple has problems with this part of Blu-ray licensing. Without support at the OS level (which came with XP SP2 for Windows, btw), no one can provide playback software for Macs.

11. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Doesn't iTunes already have HDCP support? And there are AACS "hacks" for Windows that I'm assuming don't rely on internal support so I believe that the movies can be decrypted without an OS upgrade.

Either way, I stand by my suggestion. Let the software makers know that we want support; a big software company would likely have much greater success with getting Apple to do something than a few people on a forum.

12. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

I have a Blu-ray player hooked up to my HDTV so I don't really see a need for Blu-ray playback.

Blu-ray recording ...now that's something that I'm interested in. I'd love to consolidate my data onto fewer discs.

I'm cracking up about the folks storming out of a store because of no Blu-ray. Apple dropped "computer" from their name but they still make computers folks not processing units connected to Blu-ray drives.

Adding Blu-ray does entail a DRM hit and extra licensing. I don't believe Blu-ray is nor should be a defacto item on computers IMO.

13. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

But they probably won't be buying Macs to connect to those big high definition TVs to play Blu-Ray discs. For that purpose, a stand-alone Blu-Ray player makes far more sense.

Personally, I have absolutely no interest in Blu-Ray. I hate how limiting the DRM makes.

14. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

How do you handle the current DRM issues then?

15. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

Yeah, and I'm sure they're buying Blue-Ray players, and not Apple computers, for that purpose. :rolleyes: