Little Caesars Pizza refuses benefits to legally married gay couples

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by iBlazed, Aug 31, 2014.

1. iBlazed, Aug 31, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2014

iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Interesting, on which planet is Little Caesars under the impression they have the legal right to do this in California? They may still be able to do it in their backward headquarters state of Michigan, but the time on that is limited as well. The best legal team in the country can't even help them here. And, quite frankly, they should be ashamed of themselves as a company.

Link

2. samiwas macrumors 65816

He should love his freedom and leave.

First one to say it! And no, I don't believe that.

3. iBlazed thread starter macrumors 68000

iBlazed

He already did, he found employment at another chain that had no problem providing benefits to his partner. However, he should still make the effort to tear Little Caesars apart limb from limb in the court of law, and he should make it as public as he possibly can. Hope he gets tons of money from it too.

4. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

I don't see why Little Caesars cares whom he is married to... It's pretty simple if they are legally married, and the marriage is recognized by the state that they are in, extend the benefits. Eventually, all states will recognize homosexual marriages, just like any other marriages.

5. boast macrumors 65816

boast

I'm still struggling getting states to recognize my marriage to my cat.

6. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

Hopefully he wins, but it's actually not that cut and dry because Little Caesars runs a self-insured group plan, which is subject to different regulations:

http://www.businessinsurance.com/article/20140829/NEWS03/140829836

So it's not like Little Caesars didn't know the law, but it'll be interesting to see how far the case goes and if the law gets changed as a result.

7. thehustleman macrumors 65816

Wow that's messed up.

I'm recently converted to being pro same sex marriage (although I'm not one to think that my way of thinking is superior to the person that's against it, just a difference of opinion) but it sounds like they have a right to insure who they want.

Is it right? Nope

And I honestly think it shouldn't matter, but they do.

Make it public and call it a day

8. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

Sounds like legal trouble.

You don't just get to ignore someone's legal marriage. To even try...on what grounds?

"Oh you married a Japanese girl in Japan. NOT VALID!!!"

Wouldn't fly in any scenario. Shouldn't fly in this one either.

9. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

Unless we're talking about some sort of hyper intelligent mutant cat which has self-awareness and sufficient knowledge to give consent, that is in no way equivalent.

10. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Marriage in its modern sense doesn't typically involve a subservient relationship. The same is not true for anyone who lives with a cat.

11. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

I dont get it. Why the **** would any one ****ing care if someone else is gay? Why? Does it really ****ing concern you? No? Didn't think so.

I'm hungry for pizza now though :D

12. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Little Caesar's apparently elects not to recognize a marriage that the State of California recognizes. If this goes to court, I'd be interested to hear what possible defense they could have. While that piece of law that Shinji quoted may get them out of trouble legally, what could this do to their business? Can Little Caesars afford to be known as anti-gay?

This is a choice that their company is making that could bury them. I think the stockholders should oust the person at the top of HR/Benefits, settle with this couple and make sure that it never happens in their business again.

What happens if someone travels overseas where polygamy is legal and returns to the USA? Will those marriages be legal? Will companies have to provide benefits to them? They recognize other marriages from overseas.

----------

And only $5 for a large! Remember, when Little Caesars first started you had to buy two pizzas. "Pizza, Pizza"

13. samiwas macrumors 65816

Uhhhh....what? You might want to explain that one. You know, just so we know what the hell you're talking about.

14. pdjudd macrumors 601

I don’t think even the government recognizes polygamous marriages as they currently exist today on a federal level so that wouldn’t even apply probably unless we were talking about a state where it was legal (I don’t know if it is still legal in any states anymore).

My take on it is that if it is a marriage recognized by the federal government (the state would be a bonus), it should be covered under interstate commerce rules. The company exists in multiple states, it should recognize laws in other states

15. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

On a separate but related topic; unless we're talking about some sort of hyper intelligent mutant cat which has self-awareness and sufficient knowledge to give consent, should the owner be arrested for kidnapping? Seeing as how the car never agreed to go to and live at his place at all, but is forced to do so regardless.

16. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Catnapping?

17. Michael Goff macrumors G4

Michael Goff

He's trying to compare homosexual marriage to marrying your cat.

18. samiwas macrumors 65816

Oh, I know. I just wanted to see if he had the balls to say it and support it.

19. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Wait! Is it a male cat or a female cat? A tabby? :D

20. malman89 macrumors 68000

Since when was Detroit in Ohio? If you're going to make smart aleck remarks, at least try and be smart about it.

Anyways, Little Caesars is clearly in the wrong and are going to get a huge PR backlash from this case, but the people buying their pizza won't care. Most people paying $5 for a whole pizza aren't going to put social justice issues ahead of cheap food.

21. Solomani macrumors 68030

Solomani

True.

Little Caesar's caters to cheapskates, the people who want to save a few dollars so they can eat (unhealthy) cheap pizza. These people are not exactly the vanguard of society who go about trying to make the world a better place. They won't give a crap about social progress or social justice. They could care less if Little Caesar's funded ISIS or the KKK. As long as they get their super-cheap pizza, it's all good.

22. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

23. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

Well did the cat give consent to be taken home, or didn't it?

24. iBlazed thread starter macrumors 68000

iBlazed

True. Not sure what made me think Little Caesars was Ohio based. I'll fix that. Point still stands though, different state, identical socially backward unconstitutional marriage amendment.

25. zin macrumors 6502

I have a dog so I'm obviously vastly under qualified to answer your question, but so far, after over a decade, my dog has yet to run away. He has plenty of chances to escape but my guess is he wants to stay here.

I guess I have my dog's consent to keep it in my house. The next step is obviously finding a way to get its consent to marry me without bribing it with dog treats.

Because, you know, the point (if any) you are making makes total sense. You are definitely asking the important questions.