Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sportsfrk214

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 18, 2007
It's not a massive deal, but Apple pulled a small slight on us that is disappointing. As we already knew, multitasking would not come to the first and second generations of the iPod Touch, only the 3rd generation, due to hardware limitations. But apparently, being able to set custom wallpaper on your home screen will also be exclusive to the 3rd generation touch. This feels like a really weak slight on Apple's part, since there is absolutely no reason they can't give everyone this feature. They just know it's something people want so they're "making" us buy the newer models. I was planning on buying the next Touch they release anyway, but that's not the point. Very very bad Apple :(

Proof of my claims: http://www.apple.com/ipodtouch/ios4-software-update.html (Very bottom of the page)

alchemistmuffin

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2007
It's Not Surprising...

It's not a massive deal, but Apple pulled a small slight on us that is disappointing. As we already knew, multitasking would not come to the first and second generations of the iPod Touch, only the 3rd generation, due to hardware limitations. But apparently, being able to set custom wallpaper on your home screen will also be exclusive to the 3rd generation touch. This feels like a really weak slight on Apple's part, since there is absolutely no reason they can't give everyone this feature. They just know it's something people want so they're "making" us buy the newer models. I was planning on buying the next Touch they release anyway, but that's not the point. Very very bad Apple :(

Proof of my claims: http://www.apple.com/ipodtouch/ios4-software-update.html (Very bottom of the page)

As with any software, new features require new hardware.
Wallpaper, unfortunately, is one of the features.

Back in April, I "dissected" the iOS 4 beta, and what I was feared came true: Wallpapers on home screen uses multi-tasking API, and more memory than the 3G and 2nd gen iPod touch could handle.

Also, wallpaper on home screen uses OpenGL ES2, which is only found on iPhone 3Gs and 3rd generation iPod touch. 2nd gen iPod touch and iPhone 3G uses Open GS ES.

sportsfrk214

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 18, 2007
But why does it? I mean I don't understand these things at all, so I'm looking to you for an explanation lol. How does having that wallpaper use so much memory or whatever? It just an image. I don't quite understand how it's different from a lock screen wallpaper.

alchemistmuffin

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2007
But why does it? I mean I don't understand these things at all, so I'm looking to you for an explanation lol. How does having that wallpaper use so much memory or whatever? It just an image. I don't quite understand how it's different from a lock screen wallpaper.

It's very complicated without going over-technical, but in plain english:

iOS 4.0 has a brand new dock. Previously, the dock was based on Dashboard Metal, which was just a piece of image. In iOS 4, the dock is now based on Mac OS 10.6's translucent dock. This translucent dock has more reflection, which already uses lot of power and memory. For iPhone 3G and iPod touch 2nd generation, under 4.0, home screen alone uses half of the memory. Once you add a background image, it needs even more power and memory for the translucent effect in the dock to adjust to the custom image. If background images were implemented on 3G and iPod touch 2nd gen, while it could work, it would end up eating additional 8/9 of the memory, leaving with not enough memory to launch any apps, or handle internet in background, etc.

While this might be solved by having an option to go back to the metal dock, I highly doubt Apple will revert back to the metal dock, since they prefer aesthetics.

sportsfrk214

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 18, 2007
Well I can understand that then. It's a shame that it's such a complicated feature to add, too bad they couldn't find a way to implement it. Well then I retract my statement about Apple slighting us, but nonetheless, people should be aware that this feature is only available for the 3rd generation Touch. Not knowing all the things you just said, I originally assumed the "feature" was a no-brainer, and was shocked when I saw it wasn't included. Oh well moot point for me, I'm picking up a 4th generation Touch the day they're announced haha. :apple: wins again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.