Little red light in headphone port, permanently stuck on

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by PolishDude, Jun 15, 2010.

1. PolishDude macrumors newbie

I read all the info about the optical port getting stuck in the headphone port of a macbook and how to fix it. Well I tried everything and it's still on. The sound out of it is okay with my ipod headphones but when I use any other 3.5mm adapters it sounds like crap, not to mention my computer speakers never work. I was thinking of taking my macbook apart and just taking the headphone jack out, would that get my macbook speakers to work again? I can always buy a usb soundcard that will give me a 3.5mm jack again but want my other speakers to work, i bought the computer in dec of 06 so its way past warranty

2. segers909 macrumors regular

Taking the headphone jack out means desoldering it from the logic board, which is EXTREMELY hard. So unless you are very skilled, don't even think about it.

I would recommend that you keep trying. Try using a screw driver to make the thing click.

3. PolishDude thread starter macrumors newbie

I have literally tried everything for hrs, it doesnt work...i have taken apart the laptop to see if i could get to it but even once apart the access is really no better

4. johnnyham macrumors regular

There's a small switch inside of the headphone jack that tells the computer if it needs to be in digital (optical) or analog (normal) mode. The older Macbooks have a problem with this switch getting permanently stuck. It seems to be aggravated by frequently plugging a headphone jack in and pulling it out. I fixed it on my early 2006 Macbook by simply pushing a headphone plug in, wiggling it around, taking it out, then repeating a few more times. Alternatively, I've read about people having success fixing this by putting a paperclip in there and wiggling it around or inserting other objects approximately the same size as the headphone jack.

It's a pain, I'll admit it. But keep at it, and it'll get fixed. It crops back up from time to time for me, but a simple wiggle and I'm back on the road. It last happened about a month ago, and I haven't had it happen since then.