little sounds from my hard drive … i think.

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by hraven, Aug 1, 2011.

1. hraven macrumors newbie

Dec 14, 2010
    Starting the day before yesterday I noticed a very small sound coming from the area of the left side of the wrist rest. It's not a regular sound, it just kind of happens every few minutes or whatever but not on a regular cycle or anything. It's like a mechanical sliding sound ending in a very quiet click. Now when I say it's quiet, I mean it is very quiet, as in the room has to be totally silent and I have to have my ear within a foot of the computer to hear it.

Is this something bad? I have looked up failing hard drive sounds and nothing I have heard or read about sounds like this. I hope I am just being paranoid and it's a normal hard drive sound, but I thought I would ask since I have 8 days of warranty left and if it's failing I don't want to find out in a month or two.

The disk is: "TOSHIBA MK2555GSXF Media" and when I do a SMART check it says it's verified.
  2. rgarjr macrumors 603

Apr 2, 2009
    Southern California
    its probably just the head of the hard drive doing their thing.
  3. hraven thread starter macrumors newbie

Dec 14, 2010
    That's what I was hoping. Also the rubber coating on the bottom has bubbled up and come lose from that same corner so I was wondering if perhaps that is causing the sounds to be not quite as muffled as they usually are?