little things that need to be improved on the iPhone (no talk of MMS or copy/paste)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ay98182, Nov 12, 2008.

1. ay98182 macrumors member

I had the original iPhone since the day that it came out, the same with the 3G, and there are a few things that continue to bug me - I just don't understand why Apple doesn't fix them. Perhaps they don't bother other people very much. Do you guys and gals agree with these issues?

Here they are: (in order of annoyance)

1.) You can't update podcasts straight from the iPhone. This is being rectified in 2.2 and I can't wait. I often forget to sync it before I rush off in the morning, or the podcast is updated in the afternoon (which is otherwise perfect as I can listen to it on my way home). I also can't sync the iPhone if I'm away from home (which I tend to be fairly frequently for a few days at a time). I can't be bothered to bring my laptop with me most of the time - after all the iPhone is supposed to replace your computer on the go (for the most part), not require you to bring it with you. This wouldn't be so much of an issue if I could update the podcasts via another computer, but you're stuck with using only one iTunes without wiping the iPhone.

2.) I just don't understand why they haven't implemented a way of forwarding contact details (by sms and email). I've often had to pull out a paper and pen to jot down from the iPhone a number or address, before inputing it back into the phone so I can forward it. It's a little absurd! You can do it from memory too, obviously (and it may be a good way of improving short-term memory!), but it's basic function that needs to be there.

3.) In a related issue, the iPhone should allow you to forward/delete (single) SMS. I've been in situations where I've needed to forward directions/details to someone else, or forward news, or quote someone, and have been forced to do so from memory or by going back and forth between conversations. I even have a way to make this work in the iChat-esque format: you would touch and hold on any one SMS bubble for 2-3 seconds and then a menu would come up with options to forward etc. It would be easy to ensure the phone knows the difference between that and a finger scrolling - you could extend the time needed to press and hold for the menu to 5 secs etc, as it's not a function that people need to use often.

4.) Why does the iPhone turn on when you plug it into the wall charger? I know that it does so because it needs to turn on to sync when you plug it into the computer, but why can't it differentiate between the two? The natural way of doing things is to turn the phone off and then plug it in to the charger, not the other way round. It's a minor issue, but there's been at least one time when I've plugged the phone in before going to bed and then been woken by someone calling because I'd forgotten that plugging it in automatically switches it back on. In fact, if it isn't possible to make the iPhone do one thing for computers and another for the charger via software, I would rather that I had to switch it on first manually and then sync (as I naturally do that anyway). And never switching the phone off and keeping it on silent at night isn't an option as the vibration is still annoying in a silent room.

5.) Another problem with the SMS app is that after you send a text, you can't remove the keyboard by tapping on the top half of the screen (a la the AIM app), and it doesn't automatically do it. You have to tap out of the conversation and then go back into it. Again, not a big deal, but it irks me.

6.) I wish that you could read emails in landscape format (this would be especially useful for long emails or emails with images). Unlike others I'm not too bothered about the lack of an option to type SMS or emails in landscape, however. I actually type far slower on the landscape mode in Safari, as (for me) it's either the tiny keyboard that works (I use both thumbs and make lots of mistakes but the auto-correct is very good), or a full size keyboard where you can use all your of fingers (which obviously isn't an option on the iPhone). The landscape keyboard is an in-between and makes typing with thumbs slower (in my experience), and doesn't really allow you to use your fingers to help out.

The most frustrating thing about these issues is that they would all be very easy to implement/fix (I think).

2. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

3. mcmanus7 macrumors 6502a

I would be happy if they did 3 things..

1. Fixed fetch... 2.1 seems to have broken fetch when youre phone is sleeping.

2. A sms counter... is it really that hard to track how many are sent?

3. A way to change how long the phone vibrates when in silent for text messages....

4. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

Forgot about sms counter. Why did they skip that.

5. CrzyCanuck72 macrumors 6502a

Totally agree with your comments on the SMS app. It is missing features that the most basic freebie phones have, and features that would immensely add to its usability.

Some other little things:

- Needs a stronger and more prolonged vibration - I can barely feel the thing vibrating
    - Needs an SMS character counter (to know when your message is going to be split up)
    - Individual timestamps on texts
    - An easier way to mass-message people (eg. gives your contacts in a list, and you go down it and tick people off, rather than having to enter each person's name separately, and from memory. Good for if you change your number)
    - A unified email inbox
    - spell-checker should take extra care when dealing with letters around the space bar... it should know that "We'llbsee" is probably not something we meant to type

6. aridon macrumors member

Good items I'll add something:

1. Email attachments. Why can't we get more codecs to view other items like windows media? Why can't the iphone open .eml attachments?

2. Safari cache. We shouldn't have to reload safari pages when we hit back.

3. Ipod video software needs more codecs. Again an easy fix that Apple will refuse to make to push their own ****. We don't need flash all we need is the ability to open the video player for videos we want to watch just like on Windows Mobile. No reason this shouldn't be in already.

Click link, file format shows video, open video player and play the damn file.

4. I should be able to download any file type to the iphone that I want regardless if it knows what to do with it or not. Stick it in a documents folder and put one on the start screen to access the files.

5. Categories style app to make folders for icons on the start screen.

7. samiwas macrumors 65816

There are a couple of apps that do this. Email Contact and Send Contact are two off the top of my head. Neither does SMS, but both work by email.

I'm sure you are looking for a native solution, which I assume will come at some point...check back in about 4 years. :D

8. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

In Mail we should be able to mark emails as read.

9. ay98182 thread starter macrumors member

The SMS counter isn't such a problem for me as I tend not to go through all of my free texts per month, but I'm sure that more people would rather have it than not - it can't hurt. It must be incredibly annoying if you're paying for the SMS and you go over by one word. Again it would be incredibly easy to implement. I suppose the reason that Apple hasn't added it is that it would be a step away/distraction from the "purity", "simplicity" of the current design of the app. Style over practicality isn't an excuse for a phone that's supposed to help you manage your life, however.

I completely agree with the need for a Safari cache (surely the iPhone can handle that?). I didn't notice that there wasn't a cache at first and then one day loaded articles to read on the underground, only to find that they were gone.

Don't applications like Air Sharing already cover that function? Or am I missing something?

A few things that I forgot to add to my list initially:

- (this should be number one on my list actually) Why oh why does the iPhone not recognise that you've read an SMS if you only look at the preview? It's incredibly annoying that it continues to sound the alerts after you've looked at it that way - I'm often fooled into thinking that I've received a new SMS, but even if I'm not, the needless alerts are a pain. In addition (this has been brought up often in the forums), it should give you the option of turning off the repeat alerts, or setting it to just one etc.

- the iPhone headphones really need to have something for you to turn the volume up and down. I seem to remember that the new iPod touch headphones do this, but do they work with the iPhone? I'd happily purchase a new pair just for this functionality, since it's a pain to have to constantly take the iPhone out of my pocket as I go from one environment to the next.

btw I haven't noticed the issue with fetch (but then again I don't use email heavily). Does it just never check for emails if your iPhone screen is off, and has it affected all iPhones on 2.1?

10. bluenoise macrumors 6502a

I want a default reminder for calendar entries. Basically, I want the option to always set a 15 minute alert for new appointments.

In email, I want the option to return to the message list after moving or deleting a message. I pretty much never want to open the next message by default.

I'd like to be able to send more than one photo at a time from Mail/Photos. Likewise, I'd like to be able to select multiple photos and delete them.

I would like a way to see upcoming appointments and a preview/count of unread emails on my locked screen so I don't have to unlock the phone and launch the calendar or email just to check.

11. BiggyG macrumors newbie

I'm guessing this has something to do with the fact that the iPhone no longer uses the 12V pins for charging. http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/07/30/reader_iphone_3g_accessory_angst/

A lot of accessories no longer charge the iphone whilst using it to play music, and some car chargers just dont work. Now all the power comes through the usb connectors, I'm guessing it can't tell the difference between something giving it just power, and something using it as well.

12. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

An easy way of doing this is by hitting the sleep button to turn the screen off after you've read the text.

;)

13. mrat93 macrumors 65816

mrat93

1. Add to dictionary.

2. More accurate battery meter. (Jailbrake solution: MyBattery)

3. Video recording. (Jailbrake solution: Cycorder)

14. ay98182 thread starter macrumors member

I felt that there was something important missing from the issues I'd raised so far and being unable to add to the dictionary is the major thing I overlooked (the other two points would be nice, but personally I'm not too bothered).

It is unbelievably irritating that the dictionary doesn't learn each user's preferences. Again, surely it can't be too difficult to implement? For example, you could have it so that if you decline to accept the iPhone's correction three times in a row (when you tap the 'x'), then it will learn the new word.

Are you sure that this works? Can someone else verify this? I'm fairly sure that I've pressed the sleep button before and the alerts have still sounded - I can't test it now as it's about 5am here in the UK and everyone who could text me is asleep. :eek:

By the way, I know that it may seem like all I do is whine about the iPhone, but don't get me wrong, it is a wonderful device and I can't imagine using any other phone. I'm immensely grateful for Apple for all of the work and care that obviously went into making it. But, ironically, I'm so frustrated because of all that; because it is so close to being my perfect device, and these minor issues would be easy to fix.

15. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

To be able to send MMS picture messages

To be able to send a video clip

Voice dialing

Custom Ringtones arent loud enough

16. Yuniverse macrumors member

Yuniverse

1. In Contacts, when you use Middle Name, it screws up the display.
    i.e. John(First) William(Middle) Roberts(Last) will show up as
    Roberts William John

I have to change the display order to First Last in order for the contact to display correctly.

2. In Phone, I would like to know how long i've talked. I know it displays time when i'm still on the call, but when i hang up, it's gone. I even would like the time to be displayed in call history list.

3. Speaking of call history... why can't Apple categorize them into Incoming, Outgoing and Missing? You know couple of buttons on the top of the Call History...
    [In] [Out] [Miss]

Infact, i've emailed apple about it. hopefully something similar will be available in the new patch.

17. icewing macrumors 6502

A snooze option on Calendar alerts - my Treo used to allow me to specify how long to snooze via a dropdown until I'm reminded again.

Task and notes syncing with Outlook.

18. Alchematron macrumors 6502a

Alchematron

A 10" Air would fix most of these problems!

The iPhone form factor is too small for real world functionality.

C'mon Steve, 10" Air with matte screen, silver keys, built in 3g antenna this MacWorld 2009.

Now that would be a game changer! :cool:

19. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I still want something like Finder for iPhone.

Basically, it would be like the Finder window on a Mac. You have places, devices, etc. that are listed somewhere. That way, there could be a file storage system. I could save a LOT of hassle if I could just transfer a file from my MBP and then e-mail it through my iPhone a lot of the time. This is probably what a lot of the people who need tethering do. You just need to send one darn e-mail out in the middle of nowhere.

If jailbroken apps can record video, then Apple should allow it on the phone. There's not a good reason not to if the hardware capability is there. If it has to do with battery life, so be it. We all have chargers and don't have to use it.

I'm also really getting on the Safari plug-ins march. Give us Flash and Silverlight. Have them able to turn off. If Silverlight was in there, I could possibly watch Netflix streams on my iPhone. There are also many Web sites, be they fluffy or not, that require Flash. As I said before, I can recharge the battery and (potentially) turn all of that off.

I don't own a 3G, but I am BEGGING for a return of the aluminum casing. It looks so much better than the plastic-like material used now. Every other Apple product is moving to aluminum, so I don't really get that strategery. I only have signal problems when inside a building, just like with every other phone on the planet.

Consider me on the wireless sync bandwagon, but only if it's done via WiFi. Bluetooth is too slow. I'd like to keep from charging my phone each night, but I sync up a video podcast to watch the next day.

20. BiggyG macrumors newbie

You can already. In the e-mail tap "details" An option mark as read/unread reveals itself. Its like magic :p

21. voi666 macrumors member

- unlock screen needs to show new messages/calls and upcoming events
    - acoustic reminder for messages needs to repeat until i manually silence it
    - some form of visual hint for reminder/messages/calls (an led of some sort, maybe integrated into the home buttom)

22. BiggyG macrumors newbie

- On O2, I can view how many sms I have sent through the online account management pages. I can favourite this page on my iPhone. Far from ideal, but a decent work around in the meantime.

- The iPhone does timestamp individual texts. The only time it doesn't is if you stay in the conversation, in which case it shows the time of the first text of that part of the conversation. Normally I hit home screen after reading a text or sending a reply, so the timestamp is there when I next receive the text from that person

23. jayenh macrumors 6502

completely agree with all of these, some i'd like more than others.

i'd love to be able to forward/delete individual texts

and i'd love to be able to forward (via text) someones contact details. just last weekend i had to get out a pen and jot down the number of a mutual friend to send via text to someone else. after doing it i genuinely had to think long and hard about the last time i had to do that. it was probably on my old Samsung D600 about 5 years ago, possibly even before that.

other than that, character counter for texting (i don't think apple realise how big this is in the uk. emailing via phones is only just taking off in the consumer market here). i can see why they wouldn't add it, since switching to an iphone my text count has gone up from about 400 to about 600 per month, but i didn't think apple saw themselves as this sort of company.

i'd like to say mms, but asking for that feature is getting so old now, and since it was never a feature i did think to myself "i'm willing to sacrifice that" when buying an iphone, but i do miss it.

other than that i'm pretty happy with it (with the exception of safari's stability).

oh, individual volume controls for alerts. i use the "old phone" for calls but it seems kind of quiet. to get that at a level that isn't too loud, but also not so quiet i cant hear it in my pocket i have to turn it up to a point were text alerts are just way too loud. i'm not the sort of person that wants the world to know i'm taking a call or receiving a text. i basically just want to turn the text alert down a bit to match the volume of all the other alerts. minor thing i guess, but i find it really annoying.

24. iblastoff macrumors 6502

most of the issues you brought up are resolved through jailbroken apps.

the only thing i'd like is for safari not to ****ing crash basically every few minutes

25. efice32 macrumors 6502

except it would cost about $1,200 ;)