Live 8 - MTV & VH1 Just Sucks

Black&Tan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 4, 2004
Well, I 've been looking forward to Live 8 ever since I heard about Floyd. Since I'm not blessed to be living in the UK right now, my only option was either AOL (online viewing only) or MTV/VH1. I'm not a fan of AOL, it goes way back. So I chose to record VH1. The broadcast was so disjointed, the VJ's inanely speaking over bands and coverage was pathetic. MTV/VH1 clearly cared little for the music, out of an 8 hour broadcast, easily 2 hours were commercials.

Pink Floyd played 4 songs (as far as I know, I never heard the end of Comfortably Numb to see if another song was forthcoming). About a third of the way through the song, the VJ's interrupted to talk about how historic this reunion was and how lucky we were. All the while talking over the music. Then, 30 seconds later, poof. A commercial. When the broadcast resumed, it was a taped segment by Stevie Wonder. Where was the rest of Comfortably Numb? What happened between Roger and David after the song ended?

American broadcast...be thankful if you haven't been tortured by it!

katie ta achoo

macrumors G3
May 2, 2005
I noticed that MTV was showing parts of Live 8. It was mostly VJs talking and talking and talking and blathering on and on and on. I was really surprised that they were showing it. To me, MTV isn't the type of network that would show something to raise money for an organization other than themselves.

I only watched 10-ish minutes before I had to leave. There was about 2 minutes of actual bands playing and the rest was VJs pretending to care.

I thought to myself that if MTV gave even 1% of what they spent on the production to the anti-poverty foundation, thousands of children could eat for a few months...

Oh, I don't like MTV, can you tell? hehe

ham_man

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2005
MTV cut off the end of COmfortably Numb. I was furious. They were playing the full sets of such talented acts like Simple Plan and Green Day and Good Charlotte. But heavens, not Pinky Floyd. No no no, NOT Pink Floyd... :mad:

Duff-Man

macrumors 68030
Dec 26, 2002
Albuquerque, NM
Duff-Man says....just fire up your bittorrent client....both audio and video are already out there for your enjoyment...bbc feeds, no inane MTV/VH1 VJ's....oh yeah

Black&Tan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 4, 2004
The message boards over at VH1 are quite amusing right now. About 99% of them are bashing the broadcast and the executives making the decisions.

I don't know why I thought they might do a decent job. (Oh yeah, I had no choice. The only game in town on tv). The music coverage on MTV has been atrocious, mostly reality shows, and a few hiphop music videos. But VH1 I thought might do it right. They appeal to a different generation, an older generation. It seems they've lost sight of the music. Just like the music industry....

katie ta achoo

macrumors G3
May 2, 2005
Black&Tan said:
I don't know why I thought they might do a decent job. (Oh yeah, I had no choice. The only game in town on tv). The music coverage on MTV has been atrocious, mostly reality shows, and a few hiphop music videos. But VH1 I thought might do it right. They appeal to a different generation, an older generation. It seems they've lost sight of the music. Just like the music industry....

Remember when MTV2 first came out, and it was supposed to be music videos all the time.
Yeah, look at how they've kept up with that. :rolleyes:
I swear, they play WildBoyz and other crappy shows ALL THE TIME. I haven't seen a full music video on MTV for a really long time... and when they play one, it's some rap or something else I completely despise.

The last time I saw a music video purposefully was on launch.com, in my pre-Apple days.

Aye! sorry about the threadjack about how I hate MTV.
I'd rather watch a 24-hour marathon of Hollywood Squares than watch MTV. :) hehe.

Music_Producer

macrumors 68000
Sep 25, 2004
Dire Straits performing with Sting opening " I DONT want my MTV"..

These days, turn on MTV, and all you will see is :

. Room Raiders
. Next
. Pimp my Ride
. The Real World

What the $$##?? Yesterday was nothing but 8 hours of frustration and anger. Sure, they covered madonna, green day, jay-z and coldplay (of course) Nothing but commercials, mtv VJs..ugh I hate those two morons who had nothing more to say but "That was awesome, that was sweet.. cool performance" and that idiotic girl who would keep asking the audience "what are you here for?" What the heck do you think for?? You dont ask that question to everyone every bloody 10 minutes!!!!!

2 hours = commercials
2 hours = bands talking about why they are there at live 8
2 hours = mtv VJs rambling on about how huge this thing is
2 hours of performance (including repeat coverage)

I'm officially done with MTV. They need to sack the CEO and the entire brass.

There was NOTHING international about this..only the US acts were covered..and that too..only a few. The whole mtv management would probably get jobs at the white house under Bush's administration which seems to think that the US is the entire world anyway.

garybUK

Jun 3, 2002
Thank god for Auntie Beeb!!! they played them full and un-interrupted like every other song.. They are available on some p2p channels now anyway.

Music_Producer

macrumors 68000
Sep 25, 2004
All you UK nationals are lucky..I couldn't find BBC on my directv setup..I'm sure it was there but I just couldn't find it!!

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
AOL was your best bet.

I have all the recordings except for REM (unfamiliar, although I don't think I'd like it because Michael Stipe is boring as sin) and U2 (bleh), but I'm getting U2 anyway.

I knew I wasn't going to watch something like this on television, and I hate not being in the UK. :(

decksnap

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2003
katie ta achoo said:
To me, MTV isn't the type of network that would show something to raise money for an organization other than themselves.
I don't even think Live8 raises money- I think it raises 'awareness'. Which is pretty disheartening considering the amount of tickets sold. What a scam.

katie ta achoo

macrumors G3
May 2, 2005
decksnap said:
I don't even think Live8 raises money- I think it raises 'awareness'. Which is pretty disheartening considering the amount of tickets sold. What a scam.
I thought the tickets were free?

The money thing-- I saw a 2-second snip of live aid Japan on MTV and it had a phone number that said "call to help" or something along those lines. I thought they were trying to raise a little money in addition to raising awareness.

G5orbust

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2002
I would have loved to have just a straight camera feed for 8 hours straight. Just point at the stage and leave. No commercials, no breaks, no stupid commentary. On the topic of commentary, I agree that it was too much. This show was about the music and the cause. Yet, for some reason, VH1 decided to make the music take a back seat to corporate sponsors and their half-witted commentators with their utterly useless input and pointless interviews that more often than not focused on drunk college students in the crowd who could barely remember why exactly they were there in the first place or inarticulate artists who could barely describe how meaningful it is for them to come and play for the cause of eliminating poverty. Call me cynical, but seeing rich people like that talk about how they "saw the destitude and the poverty" when they visited Africa that one time on a public relations trip really doesnt impress me. These people need food, medicine and shelter, not visits from celebrities with time to kill. While I dont doubt the positive impact of this event, I wish concerts like this didnt even need to exist in the first place. But, alas, the world is an uneven playing field so we must recruit those in posh mansions with good connections to draw the masses into action instead of coming together on our own, uncoerced by the free concert of the century, to form a united front behind the cause.

alex_ant

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2002
All up in your bidness
AOL was actually doing a fine job for a while. No commentators, no BS, they even kept the cameras trained on the stage so you could watch the intermissions if you wanted to. They had a list of locations and the current acts playing in each, and you could click on whichever one you wanted to watch, and the video & sound quality were very good (for streaming video). But then a few hours into it they mysteriously blocked Safari with a message that said "use Firefox or AOL instead!" even though Safari was working fine. What was that all about? I guess it would violate some sort of law of the universe if AOL didn't **** it up somehow.

ham_man

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2005
Music_Producer said:
All you UK nationals are lucky..I couldn't find BBC on my directv setup..I'm sure it was there but I just couldn't find it!!
BBC America is on DirecTV, channel 264. However, they were just showing reruns of Monty Python's Flying Circus yesterday.

And I was too amazed by the number of torrents up so quickly. Cool stuff...

dotdotdot

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2005
AOL didn't work for me, so I hardly saw any of it, only Green Day's American Idiot on VH1 (which had the exact same broadcast as MTV). I downloaded U2 and Paul McCartney's Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band. Thats all I got - and I missed R.E.M.!!!!!! I need to download that!

But the MTV VJs are so damn annoying!
And they think they are cool, like they said "Did you ever hear of Bon Jovi's *whatever song*?" and the guys like, "No..." and the VJs like "Well, thats before your time. You're very young..." and went ON AND ON.

Plus, there was this one girl whos like "The sucky thing is this, but the WICKED AWESOME THING IS THIS!!! UH HUH BITCH! YEAHYEAH!!!!!!!!"

Bedawyn

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2003
Asheville, NC
katie ta achoo said:
I noticed that MTV was showing parts of Live 8. It was mostly VJs talking and talking and talking and blathering on and on and on. I was really surprised that they were showing it. To me, MTV isn't the type of network that would show something to raise money for an organization other than themselves.
This is very sad. Not that I disagree, mind. I guess I'm just old -- I remember when the only things other than music videos that MTV showed was Adam Curry's big-haired music news and the great charity benefits - when we wouldn't have dreamed of watching LiveAid anywhere but MTV. Of course, Live 8 hardly counts as one of the great benefits. Ah, nostalgia....

skp574

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2005
greenwich.london.uk
Music_Producer said:

I had to go out during the first couple of hours of Live8. I live in the UK and have Sky+. I set it up to record everything. When I got home at 20.30 it did not record the earlier sets. That really p*ssed me off.

I am now sitting infront of my PB streaming it back from AOL with crappy old Windows Media Player.

Anyone else in the UK with a Sky+ have this problem.

When's the DVD out!?!?!?!?

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Black&Tan said:
The message boards over at VH1 are quite amusing right now. About 99% of them are bashing the broadcast and the executives making the decisions.

Don't forget that VH1 and MTV are owned by Viacom so the chances of seeing somthing different is not that likely anymore. Untill a few years ago VH1 meant "Video Hits", They seemed to have forgoten about that. :rolleyes: Who would want to watch videos anyways when I can see Flava Flav or a marathon about the 80's. You can still watch videos however if you stay up till 3am. :(

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
katie ta achoo said:
What is surprising? It's a big event that's going to draw lots of viewers. Lots of viewers means MTV can charge advertisers more to show their commercials. Which, of course, means MTV makes more money.

Lethal

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
G5orbust said:
I would have loved to have just a straight camera feed for 8 hours straight. Just point at the stage and leave. No commercials, no breaks, no stupid commentary. On the topic of commentary, I agree that it was too much. This show was about the music and the cause. Yet, for some reason, VH1 decided to make the music take a back seat to corporate sponsors and their half-witted commentators with their utterly useless input and pointless interviews that more often than not focused on drunk college students in the crowd who could barely remember why exactly they were there in the first place or inarticulate artists who could barely describe how meaningful it is for them to come and play for the cause of eliminating poverty. Call me cynical, but seeing rich people like that talk about how they "saw the destitude and the poverty" when they visited Africa that one time on a public relations trip really doesnt impress me. These people need food, medicine and shelter, not visits from celebrities with time to kill. While I dont doubt the positive impact of this event, I wish concerts like this didnt even need to exist in the first place. But, alas, the world is an uneven playing field so we must recruit those in posh mansions with good connections to draw the masses into action instead of coming together on our own, uncoerced by the free concert of the century, to form a united front behind the cause.

yeah, what he said.

I was pretty pissed off about them interrupting Pink Floyd of all [beep]ing things! the pitiful sham that "Music Television" has become really chaps my ass. shame shame.

katie ta achoo

macrumors G3
May 2, 2005
LethalWolfe said:
What is surprising? It's a big event that's going to draw lots of viewers. Lots of viewers means MTV can charge advertisers more to show their commercials. Which, of course, means MTV makes more money.

Lethal
I was surprised because it did something that raised awareness for a good cause.
They could have just shown (another) repeat of pimp my ride or some other trash like that.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
I wasn't impressed with the ABC coverage, but it was the easiest choice. ABC didn't even tell viewers what they could do if they wanted to support the cause, and the commercials seemed to be longer than the show.