Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lars666

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
I am a bit confused by the new "Live Photos" function: Do I understand it correctly that it adds one or two moving seconds after the photo itself, but also BEFORE the photo? I like the idea of Live Photos, but if this is how it works, I will probably have it turned off all the time nevertheless – otherwise, if you forget to do so before a snapshot where the exact shooting moment counts (somebody skate trick, a whale coming out of the water, whatever), the photo will be ruined. Or will I be able to choose every frame of my "moving photo" as my photo in full resolution, as this isn't video?

spazma7ik

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2009
It's still very much a photo of the exact moment of when you press that button, only it adds 1.5 seconds before and 1.5 seconds after when viewing it as a 'live' photo. In no way would it ruin your shot if you took it just as you would a normal photo.

lars666

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
It's still very much a photo of the exact moment of when you press that button, only it adds 1.5 seconds before and 1.5 seconds after when viewing it as a 'live' photo. In no way would it ruin your shot if you took it just as you would a normal photo.

But where do the 1,5 seconds before the photo come from if I haven't pressed the button yet? The iPhone camera surely don't record all the time in the background as a "buffer", does it?!

spazma7ik

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2009
But where do the 1,5 seconds before the photo come from if I haven't pressed the button yet? The iPhone camera surely don't record all the time in the background as a "buffer", does it?!
Well it doesn't need to be recording all the time in the background, only when the app is open. I mean the only time I can see this being an issue is if you literally fire off a photo within half a second of the app opening and that's assuming the setting remains on after the app refreshes. A 1.5 second buffer is really not that taxing if it's only when the app is open.

EDIT: And in the event you fire off a photo immediately when opening the app then I would assume the live photo would just start from the point at which you took the picture (assuming you can even take a photo that fast).

Reactions: ElectronGuru

lars666

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Well it doesn't need to be recording all the time in the background, only when the app is open. I mean the only time I can see this being an issue is if you literally fire off a photo within half a second of the app opening and that's assuming the setting remains on after the app refreshes. A 1.5 second buffer is really not that taxing if it's only when the app is open.

I understand. Didn't really expected this buffer method, but you're probably correct. I'm looking forward to try this out. Again, I like the idea of Live Photos, but I am curious if this really is as nicely integrated as explained in the keynote – that I even won't notice it when taking "normal" pictures. If I want a nice Live Photo above my normal photo, I guess I always have to remember to hold my iPhone still before and after the photo, not putting it down to quickly after the shot etc.

spazma7ik

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2009
I understand. Didn't really expected this buffer method, but you're probably correct. I'm looking forward to try this out. Again, I like the idea of Live Photos, but I am curious if this really is as nicely integrated as explained in the keynote – that I even won't notice it when taking "normal" pictures. If I want a nice Live Photo above my normal photo, I guess I always have to remember to hold my iPhone still before and after the photo, not putting it down to quickly after the shot etc.
Yeah, I assume that when sharing amongst capable iDevices it will send and show as a live photo but if attached in an email/sent via text (not iMessage)/uploaded to the web/etc it will just be a normal jpeg of the actual still you took.

Think of it as the burst feature we currently have, where you take hundreds of photos in seconds and then when you slide your finger across the frames in the burst it acts as a 'live' photo in a sense. Same idea I think.. Because they look less like videos and more like bursted images framing in succession.

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2006
I understand. Didn't really expected this buffer method, but you're probably correct.

It's a hand off from video cameras. They've had a similar function called pre-record for years. Essentially the camera just constantly writes 1.5 secs into a buffer until the shutter is pushed.

lars666

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Do not see a lot of practicality here except for social media. Not so sure how often I would use it.

I would if I still can simply shoot photos as I always did and this is seemingness integrated. It's a nice effect. However I guess you always have to be aware that you also want to shoot a nice Live Photo (above your normal one) – otherwise, you simply put the iPhone immediately down after you've pressed the button and the Live Photo is ruined. (I guess there will probably something like a "live" blinking on the screen as long as it records though.)

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2006
Do not see a lot of practicality here except for social media. Not so sure how often I would use it.

Do you mean social media which is hugely popular at the moment?

Don't forget that just because you won't use it doesn't mean that everyone won't.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Do you mean social media which is hugely popular at the moment?

Don't forget that just because you won't use it doesn't mean that everyone won't.

Are we having a bad morning or what? I am simply stating it will not be useful to me. No doubt about the social media thing being popular but not for me. Posting my progress through life is not something I wish to do but I do not blame others if they wish to do it.

Never stated that no one would like this!

Is that OK with you?

d0minick

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2011
Personally im digging the photos.

EXCEPT, you gotta be able to remove it from a photo taken. Cant wait to get some selfies sent to me that i can see 1.5 seconds of the "get up" before the actual pic was taken.

lars666

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Personally im digging the photos.

EXCEPT, you gotta be able to remove it from a photo taken. Cant wait to get some selfies sent to me that i can see 1.5 seconds of the "get up" before the actual pic was taken.

Exactly. I still have to see how this is handeled in real life, but I guess/hope Apple found a good and easy solution to choose if you only want to send the photo itself or the Life Photo. Shouldn't be too difficult.

metsjetsfan

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2011
wasnt this done before by sony and it didnt catch on. i know this implementation looks much better tho

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.