Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

One of the brand new features for the iPhone 6s and 6s Plus is Live Photos, which captures an additional 3 seconds of video around a still image and plays it through when a user 3D Touches the photo. We went hands on with the new feature and experimented with it.

Subscribe to the MacRumors YouTube channel for more videos.​

To use Live Photos, a user just has to take a normal photo when the "live" icon in the upper center of the screen is lit up. The iPhone automatically captures 1.5 seconds of video before and after the photo and stitches it all together. Because Live Photos combines video and still images, the new format takes up double the space a regular photo would.

While reviewers were largely positive on Live Photos, first impressions from users haven't been as kind. MacRumors forum member kungxpao said that he turned the feature off after a few test shots. However, some users see potential in the feature, like fellow forum member Conan86.
Live Photo is a great feature when you create them intentionally. I hope Apple would allow us to remove accidental "live" portions of a photo as I probably wouldn't hold 3 seconds to take a photo every single time.
Only the iPhone 6s and 6s Plus can create Live Photos, but they are viewable on all iOS 9 devices and Macs running OS X El Capitan. Eventually, Live Photos will also be shareable on social media services like Facebook and Instagram.

Article Link: Live Photos Shown Off In New Hands-On Video

b3ats

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2012
UK
Live Photo is a great feature when you create them intentionally. I hope Apple would allow us to remove accidental "live" portions of a photo as I probably wouldn't hold 3 seconds to take a photo every single time.

If you did it by mistake you can just go to edit and turn the Live Photo off by pressing the icon. Also, if you try to crop the photo it removes the live element permanently.

I think it's a great feature. I got a photo of a pint of Guinness settling for my lock screen. It's pretty cool - the bubbles go both up & down.

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
Only Apple could get away with moving pictures as a tentpole feature.

Moving pictures=motion pictures=movies.

I've never used Vine, but I'm guessing that's what inspired this. I think if it were any other company, the press would be calling it a Vine-like feature, and there would be headlines like, "Do 6-second Vines need to be even shorter? Samsung says so!" And John Gruber would be writing some tripe about Samsung being out of ideas and copying everyone.

JohnApples

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2014
I like this idea, but really not for the iPhone. I would solely use Live Photos to create some cool Time-lapse-esque watch faces for my Apple Watch!

east85

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2010
If you did it by mistake you can just go to edit and turn the Live Photo off by pressing the icon. If you try to crop the photo it removes the live element permanently also.

I think it's a great feature. I got a photo of a pint of Guinness settling for my lock screen. It's pretty cool - the bubbles go both up & down.

Actually that does sound pretty cool for the lock screen. Don't think I'd leave it on often though, we'll see.

Live Photos are cool, but 3D Touch will change the whole game from here on out.

Absolutely agreed w/the 3D touch.

Reactions: PrimeMatrix

b3ats

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2012
UK
Another thing about these Live photos is that you can send them via iMessage and someone on an iPhone that isn't a 6S or 6S+ can watch them by tapping on them also. Did it yesterday with a 5C.

Reactions: jajaja

Dirtydutch

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2015
Jerseyyy
3D Touch really is dope you can see the more you use it and interact with how much of an upgrade this model was. I'm pretty impressed, I don't believe theres anything better being put out right now. They seem to perfect most technologies

b3ats

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2012
UK
3D Touch really is dope you can see the more you use it and interact with how much of an upgrade this model was. I'm pretty impressed, I don't believe theres anything better being put out right now. They seem to perfect most technologies

3D Touch is a great feature but it's made the phone a lot heavier. My 6S+ is much more difficult to hold and use in one hand now than it was with my 6+, particularly with an Apple Silicone Case on it. I'll get used to it in time no doubt.

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
"Live Photo is a great feature when you create them intentionally. I hope Apple would allow us to remove accidental "live" portions of a photo as I probably wouldn't hold 3 seconds to take a photo every single time."

In the iOS 9.1 beta, "live" photos will turn off the "tail" if you lower the phone before 1½ seconds elapses (via the accelerometer).

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I'm going to need some practice to get the most interesting live videos. Cats make a good subject but you need really good lighting or it looks like crap when the subject is in motion. My dog won't stand still for a second so I can't even get normal pics of her unless she's sleeping.

I'll also try some butterflies as subjects assuming any are still around.

Reactions: ksuyen

garylapointe

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2006
Dearborn (Detroit), MI, USA
Live photos is cute but it really needs an indicator to let you know when the post-1.5 seconds are over.

Live photos needs to NOT flash the front flash (for one instant) in the middle of Live Photos (I think it should turn it off automatically).
(Hmm... Not sure what it does with the back flash, but that probably needs to be off too!)

Gary

rulymammoth

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2015
Live photos is cute but it really needs an indicator to let you know when the post-1.5 seconds are over.

Live photos needs to NOT flash the front flash (for one instant) in the middle of Live Photos (I think it should turn it off automatically).
(Hmm... Not sure what it does with the back flash, but that probably needs to be off too!)

Gary

Agreed. I'm sure Apple will continue to refine this. As of right now, it's a nice gimmick, but still a gimmick.

Reactions: garylapointe
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.