Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WinterMute

Moderator emeritus
Jan 19, 2003
London, England
C'MON YOU REDS...:D

Did you see Owen destroy those poor bas**rds in Brum? Boy's back to his best let me tell you.

This is getting tense, I really hope West Ham hand Chealsea a good kicking next weekend, they need the points and they are playing for Roeder as well, I think they'll do it.

Who cares who wins the premiership, after the season we've just had I'm surprised we aren't relegation material, as it is we won a cup and are challenging for a place in Europe.

Not too shabby for a truly bad season.

Course, finishing above Everton makes it all OK.;)

britboy

macrumors 68030
Nov 4, 2001
Argentina
Originally posted by WinterMute
.........Who cares who wins the premiership, after the season we've just had I'm surprised we aren't relegation material, as it is we won a cup and are challenging for a place in Europe.

Not too shabby for a truly bad season.

Course, finishing above Everton makes it all OK.;)

I'm glad you're satisfied with the 'Worthless Cup'. It's the likes of LFC that make things easier for true champions ;)

Consistency is key.....

WinterMute

Moderator emeritus
Jan 19, 2003
London, England
Oooooo... (grabs handbag)

Which side of the great football divide are you from?

Not the Theatre of Silence surely;)

This thread could get closed down in double quick time:p

britboy

macrumors 68030
Nov 4, 2001
Argentina
I come from the camp of the defending champions. Supported them since I returned to the UK, round about the mid-90's. However, I've yet to go to a game, mainly because it's so darn expensive :mad:

"Theatre of Silence" = Old Trafford? :confused:

trebblekicked

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2002
Chicago, IL, USA
Yes!

it's hard being a football fan stateside. the only thing ever on is MLS, which i believe does not qualify as football. every once in a while, rupert murdoch would put a manchester game on fox sports, but those days are behind us as well. there are some premium services here ($200 anuall) that provide european/BP coverage, but i can't justfiy the price.

whenever i'm abroad, i'm a PSV eindhoven supporter. as far as the brits go, i've always been an arsenal fan. (sorry)

WinterMute

Moderator emeritus
Jan 19, 2003
London, England
Originally posted by britboy
I come from the camp of the defending champions. Supported them since I returned to the UK, round about the mid-90's. However, I've yet to go to a game, mainly because it's so darn expensive :mad:

"Theatre of Silence" = Old Trafford? :confused:

Got it in one, "Theatre of Dreams" my shabby arse, I've spent several afternoons listening to the pool fans out-sing that bunch of chancers:D

I think you're up against it now, you took a real beating physically on Saturday. I'm glad Freddie isn't too badly hurt.

You ought to win the FA cup though, so don't feel too bad about losing the Championship;) ;) ;)

pivo6

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2002
Minnesota
Sorry, since LFC dropped their American keeper Friedel, in a move that they are still regretting, and Everton has had two Americans, Joe-Max Moore and Brian McBride, I'll play devils advocat and support Everton. I mean if it's good enough for the Gallagher brothers ... :D

Anyway I really support Arsenal, not because I'm a front runner, but mainly because they at one time had a few Dutchman in the team like Overmars and Bergkamp. Bergkamp still is world class despite not ever stepping on an airplane.

losfp

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2002
Sydney
My first love is Aussie Rules Football (C'arn the mighty Swans!), but soccer is a fairly close second. My team in the Aussie League is Northern Spirit, but I do keep an eye on how Arsenal is going.

WinterMute

Moderator emeritus
Jan 19, 2003
London, England
Gawd evo, we're surrounded by bleedin' Gooooners...

Last time I was at Highbury was last season when we won 1-0, it was a bit frosty on the way home I can tell you. (mate is a rabid gooner)

I have to say the Arse are worth their position this year, and as long as everyone hates Man Ure, I guess it's OK;)

evoluzione

macrumors 68020
Original poster
haha, crikey, tons of gooners around. ah well, can't say i dislike 'em.

and yes, i managed to see the 6 (six!) goals from the weekend. I may have just secured a new location for the LFC NY supporters club too :D was a good evening. if you're ever out here WinterMute (and dstorey) you'll have to join us all.

yer not wrong about it getting very tense, my god, not only for the 'pool, but the toon and chelsea too, sod the bluenoses, theey're out of it now :) and of course man ure and the gooners, plus everything at the bottom of the table.....crikey, down to the wire, great season for the neutrals.

and what about that other American, Kasey Keller (sp?) what a performance for Spurs, such a shame he finally got beaten.

I only hope Nicky and Robbie don't exact their revenge on us on saturday (i think we get that on telly over here yay!).

ok, i need to sleep before i bore the place!

t'ra la'

britboy

macrumors 68030
Nov 4, 2001
Argentina
Originally posted by WinterMute
Got it in one, "Theatre of Dreams" my shabby arse, I've spent several afternoons listening to the pool fans out-sing that bunch of chancers:D

I think you're up against it now, you took a real beating physically on Saturday. I'm glad Freddie isn't too badly hurt.

You ought to win the FA cup though, so don't feel too bad about losing the Championship;) ;) ;)

I doubt we'll win it this year, but you never know. Football's a funny old game, and on any given day who knows what will happen. Man Utd still have to play everton ;)

Nice to see so many gunners supporters here. Seems like most people appreciate true class :D

James.Paul

macrumors regular
May 19, 2002
Northallerton, England
I support Liverpool and the mighty Darlington!!!(local team). Darlo will have the best stadium in the 3rd division next, shame we haven't got a team to go with it though.

George splash the cash!!!! Beckham for Darlington!!!!

Hopefully the reds will just squeeze into the champions league ahead of Chelsea. Hope the Toon army get in as well so that my girlfriends happy. It's going to be tough though. Dont fancy a trip to Stamford Bridge needing to win on the last day.

Bit disappointing this season, start off poor but kept winning, fell apart in the middle and were having not a bad end. Wish owen would have traded his four against the Baggies for a goal in each of the mid season defeats. We might be still at the top.

My mate gerard has to do a little wheeling and dealing this summer. I think it's time to get rid off Biscan, Smicer, Berger, Traore, and bring in a couple of established internationals. He needs to play El-Hadji Diouf on the left where he did in the world cup! He was immense on the left wing. Keep Heskey though. I think his work rate is superb and although he doesn't score much he does create.

evoluzione

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Originally posted by James.Paul
I support Liverpool and the mighty Darlington!!!(local team). Darlo will have the best stadium in the 3rd division next, shame we haven't got a team to go with it though.

George splash the cash!!!! Beckham for Darlington!!!!

Hopefully the reds will just squeeze into the champions league ahead of Chelsea. Hope the Toon army get in as well so that my girlfriends happy. It's going to be tough though. Dont fancy a trip to Stamford Bridge needing to win on the last day.

Bit disappointing this season, start off poor but kept winning, fell apart in the middle and were having not a bad end. Wish owen would have traded his four against the Baggies for a goal in each of the mid season defeats. We might be still at the top.

My mate gerard has to do a little wheeling and dealing this summer. I think it's time to get rid off Biscan, Smicer, Berger, Traore, and bring in a couple of established internationals. He needs to play El-Hadji Diouf on the left where he did in the world cup! He was immense on the left wing. Keep Heskey though. I think his work rate is superb and although he doesn't score much he does create.

good on yer la'. yer not wrong about getting rid of a few either. diouf is playing well, dead impressed with him out on the right, as i was with baros partnering owen. biscan is out of his depth, and smicer, he has his moments, but all too infrequent i'm afraid....

anyways, i'm at risk of highjacking macrumors and turning it into an lfc board haha.....

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
The Gunners have mates on the other side of the North Sea.....

As as little lad, I lived in England, and occasionally went to Highbury with my Dad to cheer on "the only team in London".
Since I'm back in Holland I keep track of 'em! We can see alot of Arsenal here on TV, and no wonder: They're the greatest side in the world!
Every year I visit London for a long weekend's vacation, and go to Highbury... and still with my Dad. Those are the best couple of days each year. :)

James.Paul

macrumors regular
May 19, 2002
Northallerton, England
Being from London, you'll know plenty of Man Utd fans then. I think they love Arsenal vs Man Utd, bit of a local derby for them isn't it?

Actually, I think every Liverpool fan would like to see the Gooners win the league if only to stop Man U winning the league. I have to admit in the early part of the season Arsenal looked invincible and would run away with it but now I think it's not going to be won on players abilities, I think what is going to win it for Man U is Alex Ferguson. You can tell he loves this scenario because he can make the difference he just has that mental ability to rile up the other teams and put them off their stride. If Man U win, it is because of Ferguson not just the players.

I do hope I'm wrong though and boy wonder Rooney slots a couple past them on the last day of the season.

dstorey

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2002
I'm hear to lend my voice....guess theres not many of us here so i'll have to sing like we did on that faithful night in dortmund when me and a few locals used to turn the local irish bar in geneva into anfield away from home on match days but this was even more buzzing.......'he's got no hair, but we don't care, Gary Gary Mac'

Well i hope we put one over chelsea and also beat my local team to get the 3rd spot.....pitty we had that mid season crisis. I think next year could be ours though, as gerard said...'if you aim for the stars, you might just land on the moon'.

Anyway Baros is looking some player...he does it for me more than heskey does, even though he does a lot that goes un noticed. Biscan seems to do better in defense, not shown his protential yet. Wrll we have le tallac coming next season...french wonder kid...hes been amazing what i've seen of him and might give us that creativity though he's a bit young.....I'm hoping we get harry kewell in the close season.

Allez les rouges.

pivo6

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2002
Minnesota
Originally posted by evoluzione
...and what about that other American, Kasey Keller (sp?) what a performance for Spurs, such a shame he finally got beaten...

The US seems to have good keepers, Keller, Friedel, and Stallone (in the movie Victory-what a PK stop against the Germans);) There's a rumor that another American keeper is being looked at by ManUtd. I doubt that that will happen, but anyone has got be better than Barthez.

evoluzione

macrumors 68020
Original poster
haha, yeah, Escape to Victory. What a helluva cast eh? Michael Caine, Sly Stallone, Pelé, Bobby Moore......

and yeah, where are all the ManUre fans? They must all be PC users, if they even have the ability to work one that is...I'd love to see the Arse win, purely because I don't want Manchester United PLC win. You know they did a deal with the NY Yankees?? at least I know what (baseball) team to support over here now, Boston Red Sox baby!!! hahaha. I was in Hooters the other night (before going onto Scores, a strip club, mates stag night (bachelor party)) when I look up at the telly, only to see that bloody Argentinian Diego Forlan running about with his shirt off, i couldn't believe it.

of course I'd like to see us nick that 3rd place, but the toon are everyone's 2nd favourite team, so i can live with the playoff place that is 4th. I'm amazed we're still challenging, after our worst run for half a century!?!?

As for the gunners, at the start of the season, they were about two leagues above liverpool in their play, absolutely fantastic they were, a joy to watch.

oh, i read last week that the ManUre fans gave Real Madrid a standing ovation at the end of the game...is this true???? I know the 'pool fans applauded Barcelona after they showed us how to play, but Utd fans??? are they actually learning some respect?? nah, surely not, probably clapping for a top freekick from becks...

so then britboy, that sounds like a challenge ;) we'll see how long this thread can go on for eh??? haha

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.