"Livid woman torches ex-hubby's wedding tackle"

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
The Register said:
A Moscow man who ill-advisedly decided to sit watching telly in the nude in the flat he shared with his ex-missus earned himself a wedding-tackle-torching for his trouble, the Evening Standard reports.

The unnamed man's former wife evidently took exception to his vodka-swilling TV viewing, and duly set fire to his penis. A police spokeswoman admitted it was "difficult to predict" if the human candle would make a full recovery from the ordeal which he described as "monstrously painful".

He added: "I was burning like a torch. I don't know what I did to deserve this."

In case you're wondering, the couple divorced three years back, but continued to cohabit, an arrangement "common in Russia where property costs are very high".
The Register.

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
Not that I'm going to experiment but surely it doesn't just catch fire. So how could it be more than just a passing burn, unless he passed out from vodka.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Do the Russians consider this a hate or sex crime?

And ... I'm amused by having never heard the term "wedding tackle" before. I clicked on this thread just because I had no idea wtf that was. :eek:

imac/cheese

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2007
Do the Russians consider this a hate or sex crime?

And ... I'm amused by having never heard the term "wedding tackle" before. I clicked on this thread just because I had no idea wtf that was. :eek:
I agree... my first thought was some sort of redneck wedding/fishing supplies. :D

echeck

macrumors 68000
Apr 20, 2004
Boise, Idaho
That's definitely gonna leave a mark.

And have you people never seen Austin Powers??

Austin: That's fascinating, Vanessa. Listen, why don't we go into the back and shag?

Vanessa: I beg your pardon?

Austin: I've been frozen for thirty years, man, I want to see if my bits and pieces are still working.

Vanessa: Excuse me?

Austin: My wedding tackle.

Vanessa: I'm sorry?

Austin: My meat and two veg.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
So what? This man won't go fishing for awhile. At least his penis wasn't burnt off or anything.
So what? If a man committed an act of genital mutilation against a woman, it wouldn't be okay... there are all kinds of recourses for a bad marriage, even in Russia, besides acts of brutal violence.

Pani

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2007
Chicago
Valid Point

So what? If a man committed an act of genital mutilation against a woman, it wouldn't be okay... there are all kinds of recourses for a bad marriage, even in Russia, besides acts of brutal violence.
That is a valid point mkishnan. I just covered domestic violence today in my classes. If the situation were reversed and it was the woman burned, no one would be joking about it. In fact, one of the things we discussed is the growing violence against men as gender roles changed. When it happens, they often have to face ridicule as well as physical pain. Fair is fair, and as you said, there are all kinds of other recourses besides violence.

"I first learned the principles of nonviolence in my marriage." Gandhi
(I am not sure this is an exact quote, but it captures the essense of his intentions. Besides, you are all to busy joking to notice anyway!)

psychofreak

Retired
May 16, 2006
London
It was a play on the word tackle as fishing tackle...as if abstract misunderstood...

Iscariot

macrumors 68030
Aug 16, 2007
Toronteazy
There's certainly a powerful double-standard in place when it comes to spousal abuse (of the mental, physical or sexual kind). Very few studies have shown men to be more frequently aggressive than women, and there's a massive disparity between aquittal rates and sentencing between male and female offenders.

One of the reasons it may not be taken as seriously is that men are more receptive to cruel and crude humour, and are more likely to find humour in a painful situation.