Livid

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Macaroooon, Oct 2, 2012.

1. Macaroooon macrumors 6502

I've ordered my iPhone 5, (due to arrive in October) and I'm studying in Bangor, North Wales.

Apparently NO networks will support the phone until January, or something. As in my phone won't receive any signal :(

My friend went round to all the phone shops and apparently they all said the same thing.

Mine is unlocked and I was going to go with Three, as I checked their coverage, but my friend says it wont work.

2. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

Are you talking about 4G data speeds or basic voice signal?

Would find it hard to believe you couldn't get voice.

3. 725032 Guest

Wow... What a silly thing to be so upset about

Just cancel your order and chill out

4. darngooddesign macrumors G3

All you have to do is talk to someone with an iPhone in Bangor. I think they're referring to 4G.

5. Macaroooon thread starter macrumors 6502

When I asked my friend (I am going to go and ask in the shop to confirm) they said you won't get any signal at all. I don't mean 4G, I mean normal phone signal + 3G.

6. nostresshere macrumors 68030

I am also LIVID - Livid that some people can not put a descriptive TITLE in their post.

7. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Does no one have an iPhone there?

8. 725032 Guest

Incredibly lazy imo!

9. Phone Junky macrumors 6502

So skip their thread.:rolleyes:

10. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

I find this hard to believe. You're studying there, so presumably it's not a barren wasteland and some telco and the government has made sure every tax payer has access to basic mobile phone reception (within reasonable means, of course).

11. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

TBF, it is Wales

12. Mercenary macrumors 6502a

Rubbish, all the major networks have coverage in Wales.

There probably referring to 4G/LTE which isnt coming along until later this year from EE (only Welsh city initially will be Cardiff) and more coming all the time. Other networks will be along from 2013.

Not a big issue though as you will still get 3G speeds far superior to your 4 or 4S.

Go with 3, they have coverage, it will work.

13. Kissaragi macrumors 68020

You need to stop asking your friend anything as he clearly knows nothing. Haven't you noticed lots of people in the UK have the iPhone 5?!

It doesn't run on magical unicorn radiowaves, it uses the same 2G and 3G signals as every other phone. All you need is a new nano sim which almost all UK networks will provide for free.

What you wont be able to do is use 4G LTE, and in Bangor you'll no doubt be waiting a lot longer than 2013 for that.

14. ssgrif macrumors member

I think you've been given wrong information. basically its like this, there are only 2 distinct differences to the iphone5 than any other smartphone and thats 4G support and a smaller nano sim.

4G will not be supported in Bangor and might not arrive for at least a year.

most if not all phone providers now have nano sims in stock to sell you if you want to use an unlocked iphone5 or subscribe to them and get one that way.

If you want to make a call in Bangor your iphone5 will work! its no different to any other phone.

15. Macaroooon thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks to those who actually offered me some help, rather than just taking the mick. If you didn't like me title, then why post.

Anyway, I'm new to this so I have no clue about these things, I though it sounded strange, hence why I asked.

I will go with three I think, and go inshore and ask them :)

16. Want300 macrumors 65816

Want300

Sometimes though, it is too late. You have already read it.

OP, hopefully there was miscommunication with your friend and the carriers they spoke to. I'd double check if I were you.

17. Kissaragi macrumors 68020

Yes, really annoying! Like a library of books all called "book"

18. lordhamster macrumors 6502

iPhone 5 supports more cell networks than just about any other model of phone ever. You may not get 4G LTE or HSPA+ where you live, but at least for voice it will work.

19. steveza, Oct 2, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2012

steveza macrumors 68000

steveza

Just had a quick look at Ofcom's Sitefinder and I can see 11 mobile masts in the Bangor area covering all of the operators. As has been said already, 4G may be some way off (as it is for most of the UK) but 3G will be readily available.

20. toondw macrumors 6502

A student? And a topic like this? Its been said before.......person - common sense= student. ;)