Livid

Macaroooon

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 9, 2012
I've ordered my iPhone 5, (due to arrive in October) and I'm studying in Bangor, North Wales.

Apparently NO networks will support the phone until January, or something. As in my phone won't receive any signal :(

My friend went round to all the phone shops and apparently they all said the same thing.

Mine is unlocked and I was going to go with Three, as I checked their coverage, but my friend says it wont work.

MrGimper

macrumors 603
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
Are you talking about 4G data speeds or basic voice signal?

Would find it hard to believe you couldn't get voice.

Aug 5, 2012
Wow... What a silly thing to be so upset about

Just cancel your order and chill out

Macaroooon

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 9, 2012
When I asked my friend (I am going to go and ask in the shop to confirm) they said you won't get any signal at all. I don't mean 4G, I mean normal phone signal + 3G.

sammich

macrumors 601
Sep 26, 2006
Sarcasmville.
I find this hard to believe. You're studying there, so presumably it's not a barren wasteland and some telco and the government has made sure every tax payer has access to basic mobile phone reception (within reasonable means, of course).

MrGimper

macrumors 603
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
I find this hard to believe. You're studying there, so presumably it's not a barren wasteland and some telco and the government has made sure every tax payer has access to basic mobile phone reception (within reasonable means, of course).
TBF, it is Wales

Mercenary

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2012
Rubbish, all the major networks have coverage in Wales.

There probably referring to 4G/LTE which isnt coming along until later this year from EE (only Welsh city initially will be Cardiff) and more coming all the time. Other networks will be along from 2013.

Not a big issue though as you will still get 3G speeds far superior to your 4 or 4S.

Go with 3, they have coverage, it will work.

Kissaragi

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2006
When I asked my friend (I am going to go and ask in the shop to confirm) they said you won't get any signal at all. I don't mean 4G, I mean normal phone signal + 3G.
You need to stop asking your friend anything as he clearly knows nothing. Haven't you noticed lots of people in the UK have the iPhone 5?!

It doesn't run on magical unicorn radiowaves, it uses the same 2G and 3G signals as every other phone. All you need is a new nano sim which almost all UK networks will provide for free.

What you wont be able to do is use 4G LTE, and in Bangor you'll no doubt be waiting a lot longer than 2013 for that.

ssgrif

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2011
I think you've been given wrong information. basically its like this, there are only 2 distinct differences to the iphone5 than any other smartphone and thats 4G support and a smaller nano sim.

4G will not be supported in Bangor and might not arrive for at least a year.

most if not all phone providers now have nano sims in stock to sell you if you want to use an unlocked iphone5 or subscribe to them and get one that way.

If you want to make a call in Bangor your iphone5 will work! its no different to any other phone.

Macaroooon

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 9, 2012
Thanks to those who actually offered me some help, rather than just taking the mick. If you didn't like me title, then why post.

Anyway, I'm new to this so I have no clue about these things, I though it sounded strange, hence why I asked.

I will go with three I think, and go inshore and ask them :)

lordhamster

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2008
I've ordered my iPhone 5, (due to arrive in October) and I'm studying in Bangor, North Wales.

Apparently NO networks will support the phone until January, or something. As in my phone won't receive any signal :(

My friend went round to all the phone shops and apparently they all said the same thing.

Mine is unlocked and I was going to go with Three, as I checked their coverage, but my friend says it wont work.
iPhone 5 supports more cell networks than just about any other model of phone ever. You may not get 4G LTE or HSPA+ where you live, but at least for voice it will work.

steveza

macrumors 68000
Feb 20, 2008
UK
Just had a quick look at Ofcom's Sitefinder and I can see 11 mobile masts in the Bangor area covering all of the operators. As has been said already, 4G may be some way off (as it is for most of the UK) but 3G will be readily available.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.