Living with 1GB and 2GB

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iphoneseven, Sep 9, 2014.

1. iphoneseven macrumors newbie

So today I lent my iphone5s to a friend because he was thinking about snatching one once the six comes out.
    After an hour or so, he returned laughing with a resounding no. He stated that he couldn't live with a 1GB ram device.
    Taken back I told him I didn't need more; then he showed me why I did.
    He currently has a Samsung S5 which has 2GBs and he simulated the jaw dropping differences between a 1GB ram device and a 2GB device.
    He first showed how his Samsung was able to retain browser data and information on Google Chrome without the application reloading itself when the application went to standby mode or switched to other many applications.
    In addition he opened a Book manager and swapped between Chrome and reading a PDF file and it was very fast; multitasking?
    He then asked me to do the same; So I opened up Safari, swapped to my iBook, back to Safari.
    Safari had to reload the website that I was on, my iBook took a few seconds for the book and page that I was currently reading to load.
    He said the iphone 6 will be no different. This made me sad.

The iPhone 6 will be more powerful am I right?

2. nnacrumors macrumors 6502

A lot of people are disappointed about the 1gb of RAM, hopefully Apple optimizes it enough so there aren't many issues.

3. rockitdog macrumors 68020

But until your friend showed you that it had not mattered and it didn't bother you. Funny how that works, isn't it?

4. ZombiePete macrumors 68020

ZombiePete

So he had to create a specific scenario for you wherein 1GB created a minor inconvenience that you'd never noticed before? If this isn't something you'd ever noticed before or been bothered by, why do you care?

5. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

It is less the RAM amount and more Apple's overachieving garbage collection.

6. iphoneseven thread starter macrumors newbie

I've always assumed that mobile devices had to reload itself unlike traditional Desktop computers; today I was better informed.

7. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Whatever is important to you I guess.

This isn't important to me at all. I routinely close out my apps as I leave them. If I need to be multitasking like that I have no less than 6 computers on my desk at work and no less than 7 Macs sitting around my house.

Additionally, I use Dolphin and not crappy Safari (on any of my machines/devices) so Safari doing whatever BS it does is irrelevant to me.

This may matter more if I am out, but the stuff I use my phone for when I'm out is generally unimportant anyway.

8. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

First of all, I do think that 1GB of memory is ample for the general use case of Apple purchases.

Browsing the web - playing a game or two - reading and responding to emails - at the same time.

Secondly, I have seen that opening some rather intense web sites (take Ars, Anand, Verge, Apple at the same time) can result in the pages having to reload every once in a while.

I believe that this is an active choice from Apple to "average" out the memory consumption of each app, and provide the OS (aka, the interaction point for users) with the best possible environment. I'm not against this.

9. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

I've never seen so much whining about something in my life.

Do you really think Apple would release a product that doesn't have enough RAM to operate correctly?

I'm sure it will be fine. And not only that, but those of us on older devices won't have to be concerned with iOS 8 performing sub-optimally because it was written for devices with twice the memory.

Just trying to look on the bright side. I realize 2GB of RAM would be a good thing all around, but lack of it is not a showstopper!

10. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

Those scenarios you outlined have gotten a little bit better on the recent iPhones. It was once worse.

11. nnacrumors macrumors 6502

I think Apple would release something that has enough RAM to squeak by for the next 2 years... yet stutter in future iOS releases (planned obsolescence) to give customers a push towards buying there future products. Yes.

12. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. It is the user experience that matters.

13. JobsGang macrumors regular

JobsGang

:rolleyes:you android fanboys are getting more creative with the trolling.There's a thread about a guys wife complaining about ram now this duck tale of yours.

I sense fear and panic in fandroids all over the galaxy today.