Loaded new app on my PC, did sync, doesn't appear on my iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Little-Acorn, Aug 25, 2013.

1. Little-Acorn macrumors newbie

This is probably the dumbest question ever asked here. No doubt I'm doing something very basic, wrong.

But the title says it all. I got a new free app from iTunes store (a geocaching app), onto my PC. Then plugged in my iPhone 3GS 32GB. It said it started syncing automatically. Now it's like 20 minutes later, the new app still hasn't appeared on the iPhone.

Apologies to you who know how to tie your shoes, and other such difficult tasks. It seems I haven't reached that level of expertise when it comes to syncing my iPhone (which I haven't done in a year or more).

What am I doing wrong?

2. Little-Acorn thread starter macrumors newbie

Oops, *never mind*.

Hacked around until I finally found the old screen that actually had a SYNC button on it, on iTunes on my PC.

Pressed that, and a long sync session happened, and the new app finally showed up.

Apparently it was NOT automatically syncing when I plugged the phone in to the PC, even though a "Sync in progress" showed on the phone for about 2 seconds when I plugged it in.

Live and learn.

Next I'll try tying my shoes.

Thanks anyway, folks!

3. charlesdayton, Aug 25, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2013

charlesdayton macrumors 6502a

First make sure you are using the current version of itunes (11.0.5), if not download and install from here: http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

Next connect your phone and make sure you are on the current version of iOS. (On itunes just click on the icon for iphone then on check for updates).

Sync again. If it fails reboot the computer and the phone (hold home plus power 10 seconds).

Connect and it should sync now. If the app still does not appear on the phone: on iTunes on the iphone section choose the apps tabs, select the app and choose install.

Alternatively you can re-download he app on the iPhone itself. On the app store go to updates section at the top there is a link for purchased items that lists all your purchased apps.

Hope this helps.

Edit: I see you solved it while I posted :).

4. Little-Acorn thread starter macrumors newbie

Sure enough, Charles, I guess we cross-posted. Or something.

This is a jailbroken, unlocked 3GS, version 4.2.1, Modem firmware 05.12.01.

I'm worried that if I upgrade to the current iOS, I might mess up the unlock. At least, from what I heard, that was true last year when I took it to the local wireless pirate for unlocking.

Now it's a year later. Do you know if it's possible to upgrade the iOS, to at least 5.0 or more, and use apps that require 5.0, without messing up the jailbreak/unlock?

5. charlesdayton macrumors 6502a

The latest version of iOS for the 3GS is 6.1.3, but it is not jailbreakeable. But you can install and jailbreak 6.1.2. After that is just about installing Ultrasnow (from the included cydia appstore) and your unlock should be working like a charm. A lot has changed from iOS 4x to 6x You will be surprised.

Here is a guide from lifehacker that is quite easy to follow:
    http://lifehacker.com/5771943/how-to-jailbreak-your-iphone-the-always-up+to+date-guide-[ios-61]

To get iOS 6.1.2 you can download it here: http://appldnld.apple.com/iOS6.1/091-0744.20130215.2E34r/iPhone2,1_6.1.2_10B146_Restore.ipsw

DO NOT use itunes upgrade, as it will install the unjailbreakeable 6.1.3, you have to press shift when choosing upgrade on iTunes and select your downloaded 6.1.2 firmware.

If you are unsure about DIY get some help from your local wireless pirate or a techie friend.