Loading iOS 5 at an apple store?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jcorbin, Nov 1, 2011.

1. jcorbin macrumors 6502a

I have a 4s and don't need a computer to sync to. My wife has a 4 and we have been having trouble getting her phone to sync. Now our laptop just crashed.

Can we take her phone to apple and have them load iOS 5 on it?

2. r2shyyou macrumors 68000

r2shyyou

Haven't heard of anyone being able to do that. I know they did that for OS X Lion but I'm not so sure about iOS 5. I tend to think not. Call your nearest Apple retail store and check before you head over there. They should be able to tell you pretty quickly.

3. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I do know that when updating to iOS 5, iTunes erases the iDevice and restores its contents from a backup.

4. steveza macrumors 68000

steveza

You will want to take a good backup of you phones before upgrading which you will not be able (and probably wouldn't want to) to do in store.

5. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Yeah sure u can just speak to one of the guys in the store. They will back it up and load ios5 for u

6. RedRallyeZ macrumors regular

Ive seen them install iOS5, but id be careful about expecting them to back it up. Most cases I've seen, its a clean install if they do it. Have a backup before you go in.

7. steveza macrumors 68000

steveza

Have you actually seen them do this as I don't think they will take responsibility for your data?

8. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Yes when the 3GS had that poxy error when updating to ios4 they were doing it at my local store!

9. KoukiFC3S macrumors 6502a

10. edk99 macrumors 6502a

Why don't you get your laptop fixed? You really don't have anything to sync without it.

11. jrfive0 macrumors member

+1, you really can't have an iPhone without having a computer, hell, how can you not have a computer just in general?

12. jcorbin thread starter macrumors 6502a

well with iOS 5 its not necessary to have a computer. thats the best part about it. we have an ipad and 2 iphones. we don't really need a computer. once we update everything to iOS 5 we can rely on the cloud for back ups. and OTA updates for OS updates.

so from what i'm hearing its location specific. i'll call my local apple store and see if they'll help me out.

13. AppleFanatic10 macrumors 68030

AppleFanatic10

I don't think Apple will do anything like that. I've heard of people using one of the Apple computers and using them to jailbreak their iPhones/iPod Touches but never to load a new iOS... You can try it but I'd be careful about it.

14. ste1164 macrumors 6502a

ste1164

I have seen it happen. When I picked up my reserve iPhone at least two people were helped in updating to iOS5

15. bruinsrme macrumors 603

bruinsrme

Could the OP download something like Dropbox back up what's needed such a pictures and contacts. Then take it to the store to load 5, log into cloud to restore any apps,r that the husband has and download any missing apps again?

If there is a worry the OP could erase all content then load 5

16. jcorbin thread starter macrumors 6502a

dropbox is a good idea for preserving her files, pictures, and videos. and she doesn't really have many apps. which is good cuz it'll be easier to get her phone back to where it is now.

17. steveza macrumors 68000

steveza

Getting you apps back is easy because they are all listed under Purchased -> Not on This iPhone. You will need to sync to get the data or settings from those apps back, but if that isn't an issue take it in and get them to do a restore for you.

18. Juggie305 macrumors member

i think imma have to try taking my ipad itunes wont even finish the d/l of iso5 25% before it ask me to check the network not sure y

luckly all i have in it is apps that are in the laptop

19. applematic macrumors newbie

They should install it. But will definitely not back it up for you. Also you'll have an easier time at a lower traffic apple store if at all possible.

20. Mr.C macrumors 601

Not sure about the backing up but it's certainly possible to have your iOS device updated to 5.0 in an Apple store. I tried to update my iPad 2 the day it was released at home using my Mac Mini and due to problems with the server verification it got messed up. I had to make an appt. at the Genius bar. The tech at the Genius bar updated my iPad for me whilst I was there. When I got home I restored it from my most current backup. Whilst I was there someone else was waiting to have his iPad updated as he didn't own a computer.