Lobster restaurant bans screaming kids, gets barrage of hate and threats

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Solomani, Apr 20, 2015.

1. Solomani macrumors 68030

Solomani

Ah yes, another thing that reminds me that social media in the 21st century has become a "tyranny of the mob" sort of thing.

Don't like it if a restaurant has nutty policies? Go to social media and encourage thousands of followers to issue death threats to the restaurant owners. That's how this all works.

Lobster restaurant apologizes after its ban on 'small screaming children' leads to backlash and social media death threats

A lobster restaurant in Canada has issued a detailed and sincere apology after it was attacked by online commenters for a ban on 'small screaming children'. Lobster Pound and Moore, in Cape Breton, Nova Scotia, had posted 'effective as of now, we will no longer allow small screaming children', saying that it 'caters to those who enjoy food and are out to enjoy themselves'. The message, posted last Sunday night, was deleted by Monday morning after a torrent of online abuse came from disgruntled parents.

Commenters began giving the restaurant's Facebook page one-star reviews and said that they would never again set foot in his restaurant.

The restaurant later posted an apology on the page, saying that the 'hate and threats' the owner had received had prompted him to reconsider his policy.

2. FrankieTDouglas macrumors 65816

Social media is broken. It somehow brings out the puritanical and witchhunt nature in society. But at least it's fair. Now both liberal or conservative leaning idiots can be idiots together.

And PS... it'd be lovely if this store owner could convince airlines of the same policy. Or, and this is a stretch, if airlines could designate some place on the plane, walled off from the general population, that parents could take a child until the screaming settles down.

3. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

They could've achieved their goal by taking chicken nuggets off the menu.

4. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

more like lobster nuggets I bet.

----------

more like lobster nuggets I bet. Do lobsters have nuggets?

5. Solomani thread starter macrumors 68030

Solomani

Social media is only "fair" in that both extremes of opinions are entitled to voice what they want to say. Moderates and those with logical/reasonable viewpoints get ignored altogether.

But for the most part, social media has become a huge Bullhorn for extremist sentiments and points of view. They use it en masse to bully and intimidate and close down businesses which have an unpopular opinion/take, and likewise issue (anonymous) death threats to individuals with the unpopular opinion.

No wonder the ISIS extremists LOVE using social media as a propaganda weapon. It's perfectly suited to their fanatical point of view.

6. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

Personally I would applaud a restaurant manager who would proactively ask parents to remove their small screaming people mcnuggets until they calmed down.

7. numlock macrumors 68000

they really felt the need to apologise because they said "screaming children" in the first post?

pathetic example of how social media reactions and ratings often works.

obviously they didnt expect this reaction but i think it would have been interesting if they would have experimented for a few months and asked parents to watch their childrens behaviour and posted how that worked.

8. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Good for the restaurant, I wish more restaurants would ban small children.

Nothing annoys me more than going to a nice, expensive restaurant and have a nice meal interrupted by a screaming kid and parents who don't give a damn. If you want to let your kid scream at the top of his lungs and run around a restaurant, that's what Chuck-e-Cheese is for.

9. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I don't think it's broken.

It's merely reflecting a side of humanity that shares something in common with screaming, little children.

10. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Unfortunately, all too true.

Nevertheless, my sympathy lies entirely with the restaurant.

11. D.T. macrumors 603

D.T.

He should've stuck by his decision. I've been to restaurants where there wasn't visible signage regarding no kids/no screaming, but I can guarantee it would be dealt with swiftly if it occurred.

The thing that is _mind_ boggling - and granted the specifics weren't really disclosed - is the idea that someone as a response to this would make threats to him or his +family+. I mean, if the threat is "We'll never eat there again", no problem - something with a violent tone towards my family? I'd be tracking you down in person.

12. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

Don't people still take their loud kids outside until they calm? My parents took me outside, I took my kid outside it's not complex.

13. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

And this is exactly why businesses what to be able to sue people who comment/rate for defamation.

14. Solomani thread starter macrumors 68030

Solomani

Actually, no good for the restaurant came out of this. The restaurant backed down because they were intimidated by the flood of hate mail, and even some death threats. They backed down and they rescinded the policy, they even apologized for using the term "screaming children".

Social Media Mob Rule = 1

Restaurant = 0

15. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Are there any restaurants that ban screaming adults, or is that okay?

16. chown33 macrumors 604

Ever been in a sports bar on a game night?

17. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

having personally seen screaming adults ejected from restaurants I'd have to say that they're actively banned at some number of places too :p

18. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

Did you guys learn nothing on the Internet? The owner didn't apologize because of the death threats, he apologized because he's Canadian. Know you meme, people.:D

[​IMG]

19. dec. Suspended

dec.

We go to plenty of restaurants where guests wouldn't even remotely consider bringing their kids and I can understand the restaurant owner for attempting to establish such a policy - usually they aren't necessary as common sense should tell the parents if their screaming kids are welcome and appropriate (there are plenty of "family restaurants" around) or not, but after having lived in North Sydney / Cape Breton for 10 months myself, I'd say that the definition of "common sense" is slightly different out there... fun people though :)

In general things can blow up very fast these days, which can be a good or bad thing, each case depending on personal views/standpoints, I suppose. I don't like the 1-star ratings that people who have never been there, give this restaurant just to "bully" them, just as much as I don't like giving flower shops or cake bakeries a 1-star rating without ever having used/attempted to use their services, but others seem to like to be able to express themselves that way. I wonder what effect these incidents will eventually have on laws and review sites in general...

20. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Yes. But I don't really scream, I'm more of the "cold stare" type.

21. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

No, I think you can still go out to restaurants.;)

22. Herdfan macrumors 6502

Nope. They ignore them. :(

When I was dating my wife, her whole family came to the town where my parents lived. Her sister's kid was a menace. I was embarrassed to go to a restaurant with him because he wouldn't sit still and got up and ran around our table and other tables. He was five.

Well, my fiance' wanted to go to a great Italian place we had been to and I said no because the owners knew me and my parents and I wasn't going there with her nephew. Her mother and sister were offended as they didn't see anything wrong with his behavior. My wife-to-be knew where I was coming from, but it created some friction. I finally relented when her mom agreed that he had to remain in his seat.

Fast forward 10 years to when we took my M-I-L and now 4 year old daughter to a high-end steakhouse. Our daughter sat quietly and ate her dinner and if any other diners had not seen her, they would have not know she was there.

After the dinner, her mom confessed that eating out with our daughter was a much more pleasant experience.

Turns out the kid is now grown and has bounced around a myriad of low-paying jobs because his parents never forced him to conform to any societal norms. My wife convinced me to look at opening a location of my business in the town where he lives (it was and still is a great opportunity) so I could give him a decent job. I had just started some due diligence when he got a DUI. That stopped any consideration right then.

I heard through my M-I-l that his mom was ticked that I would let something like that stop me from considering opening a location there. I then explained to her that my vehicle insurance would be triple+ with him as a driver. And I wasn't going to take that risk. She said she understood.

So idiot kids with idiot parents turn out to be idiot adults.

23. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Great post. S-I-L's. :rolleyes:

A couple of days back I went online found some of the menu items the restaurant serves. It's not a fine dining establishment.

If you don't want screaming kids then I'd suggest not serving foods that readily appeal to children and make sure the prices aren't "family friendly". If they ask if there's a kid's menu, politely say no, there is only the regular menu.

He didn't seem too concerned about losing their business anyway.

24. Scepticalscribe, Apr 21, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2015

Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Excellent post.

There is an alternative way, but it is one that requires active, thoughtful, patient, time-consuming positively reinforcing and hands-on parenting.

A few years ago, an Italian friend who ran a stall in the local farmers' market (a self-professed refugee from the professional and corporate world - he had worked in the EU Commission and was very well educated) accepted my invitation to a late lunch and coffee in my favourite Italian restaurant (where all the food was sourced from Italy). He asked if he could bring his partner (also Italian) and young son, then aged around three, along too.

I will confess that my heart fell, but I felt I couldn't deny this request. We met, and repaired to the Italian restaurant. The young boy sat in a proper chair, his parents disdained special chairs, and was offered a standard knife and fork, which he handled competently. It was clear he knew how to use them.

I have to say it was an utter revelation to me. His parents discussed politics with me, interrupting themselves to carry on a running conversation, interspersed with gentle but firm instructions, in low voices, with their young son. When food appeared, he was asked, politely, to pass condiments and plates of food, and thanked, when he did so. When I sought, say, the sugar, or the milk, he was asked to pass it to me. Likewise, when the coffee was served, and milk and sugar placed on the table, he was instructed what to do, in low voices, and praised and thanked when he complied.

Italian cakes appeared and the boy's eyes gleamed as he reached for the cakes. In Italian, (I understood enough to know what was going on), it was explained to him that I was to be offered the cake first. He reached for the plate and offered it gravely to me; I accepted, took what I needed, and handed it back to him with thanks. Next, his father, still in a low voice, gently instructed him to offer the plate to his mother. This was done with equal gravity, and the boy was thanked formally. Then he was given his cake, by his father.

There wasn't a single howl, whinge, cry, or whimper. He was expected to sit at table and behave himself like a young adult, - and be treated as such - and the portions of his meal that he couldn't handle himself, were cut for him by his parents. He was spoken to continually, quietly, and things were explained to him, and instructions were given to him, and he responded in kind, offering plates, spoons, making eye contact, asking with his eyes whether he had got things right, and expecting (and receiving) courteous responses.

I have to say I was completely bowled over and enormously impressed; that kid will be an utter credit to his parents, and a joy to eat with even before he is ten years of age. However, I was also struck by the non-stop (quiet but firm) communication that his parents both engaged in with him during that meal, while also conversing - as intelligent, informed, intellectual adults - simultaneously with me. They were working non-stop at it, but it was very impressive to behold.

25. DonJudgeMe macrumors regular

What's the big deal? The guy doesn't want misbehaving brats in his restaurant. I read his request as a disclaimer.

"If you decide to bring your zoo to my restaurant, you will be asked to leave."

He was providing a friendly warning. I would eat there, knowing that I can enjoy a meal in peace.