Local cellphone stores out of control

LadyX

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 4, 2012
So I've been to several cellphone stores here and the clerks are so hyped up about the iPhone 6. I mean I'm pretty excited myself but they were so overly excited. One of the stores I've been to literally had iPhone 6 cases for sale (the cheap kind, obviously from the picture). They keep asking customers whether they want to buy, they "advised" me to buy a case as they'll be selling out fast in the coming days, I was like no thank you (even though I will be getting the 6 once it comes out but I made sure not to tell him that). Another store was packed with people. I asked a lady beside me what's going on and she said they're taking orders for the iPhone 6. The place was crowded and people were making reservations for a phone that hasn't been announced yet.

The third and final store I've been to had the iPhone 6 and when I asked the clerk if anyone purchased this she said "a lot". I was shocked I don't know if those who bought the "iPhone 6" are aware that it's not genuine. I was going to go to another nearby store but I had enough. Anyway, just wanted to share these (I don't know what to call them...amusing? crazy?) happenings inside local cellphone stores here. Anything similar going on where you are?

Last edited:

jlake02

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2008
L.A.
lol... the iPhone is the only phone in the world that can drive this kind of hype.

Really excited for next Tuesday. :cool:

:apple:

juanrp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2014
Florida
Man, people are going crazy for this phone.
Apple ftw!

Definitely excited for the announcement, but not that excited.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Wow they actually got people to buy those fakes? That's incredible.

I will say that the fake iPhones are becoming very good copies though. A friend of mine recently bought a 5S from Craigslist and you literally couldn't tell it wasn't a real 5S until he opened it up and saw the fake parts inside.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
So I've been to several cellphone stores here and the clerks are so hyped up about the iPhone 6. I mean I'm pretty excited myself but they were so overly excited. One of the stores I've been to literally had iPhone 6 cases for sale (the cheap kind, obviously from the picture). They keep asking customers whether they want to buy, they "advised" me to buy a case as they'll be selling out fast in the coming days, I was like no thank you (even though I will be getting the 6 once it comes out but I made sure not to tell him that). Another store was packed with people. I asked a lady beside me what's going on and she said they're taking orders for the iPhone 6. The place was crowded and people were making reservations for a phone that hasn't been announced yet.

The third and final store I've been to had the iPhone 6 and when I asked the clerk if anyone purchased this she said "a lot". I was shocked I don't know if those who bought the "iPhone 6" are aware that it's not genuine. I was going to go to another nearby store but I had enough. Anyway, just wanted to share these (I don't know what to call them...amusing? crazy?) happenings inside local cellphone stores here. Anything similar going on where you are?

WTF. Where are you that stores can get away with selling knock-off iPhone 6's early so publicly?

LadyX

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 4, 2012
Figured this wasn't in the USA. That stuff would never happen here.

That's why I don't like to go there. Also, they're the kind of stores that are small and are all side by side located in an unpleasant and not so popular district. But no way will you see these kinds of things in major stores and other cellphone stores in malls.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Samsung likes to make fun of the Apple fan base, but in reality this kind of following they can only dream of.

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
You'd be surprised how many want the iPhone 6 right and are willing to pay a premium for one.
The people buying these phones are ignorant not tech savvy members of the public. They have no idea about phones in general, that's why they fall for these scams. I went to Dubai for a weekend in april , lovely place. I was able to buy a replica Tag formula one watch for $50. Very well made.

nfl46

macrumors 604
Oct 5, 2008
Haha! Damn, they have boxes and everything. Crazy! The world goes crazy when new Apple products and Jordan's come out! Lol!

12vElectronics

macrumors 68040
Jul 19, 2013
California
That's why I don't like to go there. Also, they're the kind of stores that are small and are all side by side located in an unpleasant and not so popular district. But no way will you see these kinds of things in major stores and other cellphone stores in malls.
Yea I don't think I could ever support a business that sells fakes or knock offs.