Local mall so stupid, set to open @6am, can't be on property until 6am

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sjn419, Jun 21, 2010.

1. sjn419 macrumors regular

I dont get why the no line policy? I guess the best strategy would be to hide or wait just off property? seems stupid

2. BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

I posted a little story about this on another thread, but basically, a lot of people hide in the corridors behind the stores in the mall, or they know of another entrance. It's best to use your (or others') experience on previous iPhone launches to find out how and where they set up to line up.

3. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Contact the Apple Store to see what they suggest you to do for the iP4 launch.

4. alangrehan macrumors regular

Maybe queue outside the mall?

Maybe the shop or store will issue armbands or numbers to people queuing....?

I'd give the store a ring and find out :D

5. Vertigo50 macrumors 65816

Vertigo50

You have to think of it from the mall owner's perspective. What would happen if people camped out all night and someone got mugged, or shot. They would have potential lawsuits and things on their hands.

Besides, I think showing up early is fine, but do people really NEED to camp out overnight? Just show up a little before 6am and hope for the best, like everyone else.

Oh, and hiding in the corridors? Have fun leaving the mall in handcuffs, with no phone.

6. sfwalter macrumors 68000

sfwalter

Why is this stupid? Its outside of the standard mall operating hours. Just wait outside before 6am.

7. bahooki macrumors regular

8. sjn419 thread starter macrumors regular

not allowed to wait outside or anywhere on mall property

9. rwilliams macrumors 68040

rwilliams

This is all the OP needs to know. This phone is not so important that the mall owners need to risk being sued over a bunch of people who have a need to camp overnight. My mall opens at 5:30, and that's when I'll be there.

10. sfwalter macrumors 68000

sfwalter

That's a new one for me. I never heard malls had that policy.

11. s8film40 macrumors 6502

s8film40

Yeah it sounds like this is what the mall I'm going to is going to do. Not very smart, the idea of everyone racing to be first in line when they open the parking lot sounds very dangerous. It's just a phone I really don't need to be in a car accident over it. I know it's not worth it to me but other are going to be crazy. Maybe if that happens we can hold the mall liable for that since they created the situation.

12. bahooki macrumors regular

The running of the nerds. I hope this happens, and I hope it gets captured on film. Please please please make this happen. Please.

13. Vertigo50 macrumors 65816

Vertigo50

Hold the mall liable? I really hope you're joking. That is the most immature thing I've read in a while.

Why not just hang back a bit if you're worried about your safety? Or better yet, just don't go, or find a store that will let you camp out overnight if it's so important to you.

14. s8film40 macrumors 6502

s8film40

Maybe we should tip off the local news.;)

Maybe when the mall finds out the news crews want to come and get the potential accidents on tape they'll rethink their policy.

15. Vertigo50 macrumors 65816

Vertigo50

You know, there is an upside to this...

My mall is doing the same, and not letting people line up until 6am. But you can bet there will be a bunch of idiots who show up at midnight anyway, and try to find some way to line up. They may even succeed in waiting for an hour or two, only to be turned away by security. In other words, they'll spend 6 hours or so trying their absolute best to form a stupid line, while I'll show up at 6am and have the same chance at a phone that they do. It's fun to think about.

:D

16. rwilliams macrumors 68040

rwilliams

You're going to hold the mall liable for an accident of your own creation? Good luck with that. How is the mall liable? Did they force all of you to stampede into the parking lot on Thursday morning? Did they mandate that you MUST be there at the crack of dawn to buy the new iPhone the minute the doors open? People need a little perspective here.

17. s8film40 macrumors 6502

s8film40

Yes I am joking, but holding a mall liable for an accident arising from a situation they created is just as stupid as holding them liable for something that happens out of their control while on their property (their reasoning behind the policy) same thing really.

That's my plan I'm not to worried I have a reservation after all but would be more orderly if I could just show up park and get in line. They are definitely making this more of a hassle than it needs to be.

18. sjn419 thread starter macrumors regular

19. bahooki macrumors regular

A situation they created? They created no situation. The dopes lining up outside for a phone created the situation.

20. Vertigo50 macrumors 65816

Vertigo50

You CAN show up and park and get in line...at 6AM! I really don't see why you would want to get there earlier anyway. If you have a reservation, you could show up at noon and still be fine. What's the problem here?

21. cgentry macrumors member

Something similar is happening at my local Apple store. It's located in a posh shopping plaza type thing. Security has been known to chase people off even if they're just parked by the store waiting. The Apple store has been telling people to start showing up at 5... I don't know what time to go. I don't want to not have anything to do at 2 am 45 minutes from home...

22. s8film40 macrumors 6502

s8film40

I have no intention of stampeding, it's not worth it to me. My concern is that I drive in nice and orderly and all these other cars will be racing around trying to be first and I'll end up unwillingly in the mess. Probably won't be too bad but I would rather my mall had not created this situation.

No I honestly don't want anything to happen, let alone get to the point of a law suite. I'll probably try to hang back enough to stay out of the mess and sacrifice a few places in line. The point I'm trying to make is the logic they use behind the policy is to avoid law suites and in doing so they create a dangerous situation, kind of ironic.

23. rwilliams macrumors 68040

rwilliams

But the mall didn't create a situation. Why should they have to pay their security and staff extra because a bunch of Apple fanatics MUST camp out overnight for a silly phone? Is there a reason people can't show restraint and stay home until the mall doors open? Why is everyone acting like a child over a phone??

24. s8film40 macrumors 6502

s8film40

I don't think they should have to, it's really simple just let the people wait in the parking lot until they decide to open. If somebody robs somebody or somebody gets hurt well the mall didn't create that situation either.

25. Vertigo50 macrumors 65816

Vertigo50

So basically, when they do what you want them to do, they don't create a dangerous situation, but when they don't let you do what you want, it's dangerous, and they should be sued.

That makes perfect sense.

They are not creating a dangerous situation by telling people they can't be on their property until they decide. If people drive around like idiots, that's their own problem.