Local politics, what gets you excited enough to vote?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by 63dot, Feb 15, 2010.

1. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

Many here are all up in arms and more than happy to talk about Obama vs. the GOP. But what about your local politics? ...your congressional district?
    Are there pressing issues that you want to discuss here?

Anyway, out in Cali:

Sacto: The govenator is going to finish up and good riddance.:D

Local (rural) norcal: Conservatives want to block years of progress the environmentalists have worked for and this has caused a lot of political battles.

Race relations suck and even though I would be clubbed in a Mexican gang neighborhood among the tensions between two prominent Latino gangs, I totally understand a lot of the anger. Many whites here are like the Klan and the biggest Klan organization in the US is not in the south, but in the SF Bay Area and their numbers along with their neo-Nazi cousins are growing.

Pollution: Both sides say they will address the issue every election, but one day LA (who has done a lot to clean up their air) will complain about "our" air. Mass transit always gets shot down, but something has got to change.

And finally, SF politics: I don't want to take up the bandwidth of all of MR, but just Google it. We could very well be the most corrupt city in the country. Whenever somebody speaks up for change, they are smeared, or simply assassinated.

rant over, hmm, LA looks good for the first time in years :)

2. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Kicking out the bought and paid for incumbents who put their own interest and their party's interest ahead of the local state or national interest gets me motivated.

3. Desertrat macrumors newbie

First off, I don't get excited. In local races, I try to learn of the background, the track record of the candidates. It's not necessarily a political-party judgement. Sometimes I can vote for a candidate, sometimes I hold my nose and vote for the lesser of two weevils.

At the state level, I'm content with our incumbent statehouse representative. He's a not-too-liberal Democrat who is quite competent and knowledgeable. Beyond that, for now, I'll sorta dance with the ones in power, given the relative good shape of the Texas economy and business climate. That doesn't mean I don't think we could do better.

National level? I was a Democrat until the 1960s, but the top-leadership of the Party ran off and left me.

4. 63dot thread starter macrumors 603

63dot

That's what happened to me in 1990 but just the opposite. I voted for Reagan in '84 and when he upped the deficit, I thought Bush (who I didn't vote for) would lower it and work on the "economy" as that's what the GOP was known for in previous decades. At the time I was getting on my feet as a entrepreneur. By 1990, I had registered Democrat.

On certain social issue I was pro-gun (with some belief in "rational" gun control) and pro-life, but also pro-gay marriage and pro-medical marijuana so I didn't fit with the neo cons who had taken some power in the GOP. Outside the the pro-life stance, I could have been mistook for a Libertarian, but their founder and key leaders insist on an atheist or agnostic (neutral stance) and I could never denounce my faith. What Libertarians I met who saw me as a prospect would try and make me atheist, as they saw religion as an effective tool for authoritarianism and statism.

Our Constitution, as an understandable document, has become irrelevant because both parties have learned to cherry pick the document, and spread their left or right propaganda, and make it sound like it's their platform. The whole thing becomes a circular argument.

5. Desertrat macrumors newbie

What kept me from getting upset with the Reagan years was the knowledge that if Dan Rostenkowski didn't want deficits, we'd have had no deficits. All spending begins in the House Appropriations Committee, of which he was the very-powerful Chair. (Well, until he went to jail. :D)

I don't have any particular problem with the idea of first-trimester abortion; I mostly decry the behavior which necessitates it. The War On Drugs is dumber'n dirt; we already tried the Noble Experiment, but didn't learn much from it. I could care less about who lives with whom and does what, but I don't know how to give less of a rat's patoot about it.

Neo-cons ain't conservative. They're Statist, same as the hard-core Left. The only difference between them is which civil liberties they don't like.

I'm mostly a small-l libertarian and a small-c conservative, heavy on fiscal conservatism. The capitalized folks pretty well lost my interest.

As has been said, we could give our Constitution to Iraq; we've pretty much quit using it. That poor old commerce clause has pretty well been beaten to death...

6. 63dot thread starter macrumors 603

63dot

We have become so statist that instead of taking the "Imagine" stance of John Lennon in his song the Libertarians and Greens think can happen quickly, I think America has to work (for the next many decades) within the Statist system which was built in order to slowly change over to individual liberties.

Yes, we still need a large, interventionalist military to get us out of the foreign wars we got entrenched in. Yes, we need universal healthcare to fix a broken system and bring down costs. And yes, we need a large police force to combat the warring drug gangs because drugs are still illegal, and thus very lucrative.

Where the media has Rush on the right and Mike Moore on the left, they hold extremist positions which cannot work right away as they both see an overreaching, expensive, violent government we have become. Mike doesn't like our stay in Iraq and Rush didn't like our venture in the Balkans.

Personally, I like perhaps the most listened to moderate in the media, Libertarian Gene Burns (former Presidential candidate) who wants to wean us off the statist system using the statist system, and not just some violent overthrow.

It's as if the USA is on heroin, and we will need methadone to slowly get us off the really bad stuff to get back to health. Let's say we spend 100 billion to get us off being the armed police of the world to save a potential spending spree of 200 billion in future wars. Hey, I am all for that if that's what it takes. We know the two major parties will do things, and very expensively, so we can't expect them to be efficient, but spending less hazardously is better than aimless spending.

If it takes a billion to use universal healthcare in order to eventually save the many billions being wasted on pricey premiums and ER visits used as a "regular" clinic, I am all for it.

These are the type of things I hear on Gene's radio show, and purist Libertarians or Greens think that we can suddenly fix our medical system (which is broken and expensive) and our foreign wars, with a snap of the fingers. Yes, in a perfect world. BTW, I will work towards the third parties on the local level first.

My Green vote to Representative McKinney for President in 2008 didn't get very far. But I plan to vote of a Green leaning city council member and a Libertarian county supervisor. They have a better chance at victory and it's where I plan to start. The Mayoral candidate I will vote for tends to be a more fiscally responsible Republican than the "less fiscally responsible" Republican who is in there right now who likes to award the big money stuff to cronies.

7. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

Me, I don't so much get excited as I know what kinds of stupid **** the people in this town will vote for given half a chance, and I feel a responsibility to get out and support the, "no, seriously people, WTF?" bloc.

As such, I'm pretty sure my ballot box is the first one to turn up bobbing in the bay, but I do what I can.

8. 63dot thread starter macrumors 603

63dot

The radio and news broadcasts around here, 130 miles away from San Francisco, in what you might call the "south bay", talks about every single move Gavin Newsom makes.

When we have a serious issue about a south bay area police chief actually stealing "evidence", does it make the paper? No! But what we do hear about is that SF Police Chief Heather Fong didn't keep current on her gun training. Man, who really cares? And then there is Matt Gonzalez, who some said really won the Mayor's race.

Other names come to mind with SF from the past, such as Jordan, Feinstein, White, Milk, Moscone, Christopher, and SF's own "slick Willie".

And sometimes considered a very brutal law enforcement agency or a very politically correct one, the press has a field day putting extreme adjectives onto the very controversial police department.

A lot of the liberal progress which the city makes and the state later adopts, does meet resistance from right wing reactionaries in its initial try. Gay marriage and medical marijuana were once considered unthinkable throughout the state of California where in San Francisco, it was deemed legal.

A hundred years from now when gay marriage and medical marijuana are just considered normal ideas throughout the entire nation, people will look back on San Francisco, and UC Berkeley, as pioneers who brought forth those ideas. What people won't remember is all the political jockeying that took progressives to get there, and the infighting among groups with the same purpose in mind.

While LA and San Diego are much bigger than SF, our state takes it lead from SF's new ideas which go from being considered radical to standard. Being a liberal, I am proud that I live near the city. But at the same time, I am so ashamed at how scandalous and petty/hair splitting SF politics can be. Liberals are their own worst enemy, and it shows in SF more than anywhere else.

9. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I don't need anything to get me excited enough to vote. I vote because it is my civic responsibility.