Local Social Issue... RANT!

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by crjackson2134, May 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crjackson2134 macrumors 68040

crjackson2134

It’s almost 1am right now, and my freaking next door neighbor is outside cutting his lawn.

CRAP!!! I’m trying to get some sleep you Moron!

You may now return to your regularly scheduled nonsense.

2. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

That's insane! I think that beats my neighbor, who arrives home right after 9:00 every night (right after I've gone to bed), with rap music blaring so loudly from the car that I feel it long before I hear it.

3. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

Definitely not cool. Isn’t there a law against that sort of thing?

4. daflake macrumors 6502a

You know you can actually call the police for that. Just sayin....

5. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

Classless turd. 1 a.m.? What the hell?

6. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

Unless you think he’s crazy or volatile, there’s no need to call the cops. Just go have a conversation with him. Try not to be confrontational and just explain to him that it’s hard for his neighbors to sleep when he’s running a lawn mower in the wee hours of the morning. It should be obvious but there’s a chance he’s never even thought of that.

7. TheHateMachine macrumors 6502a

TheHateMachine

You mean have a conversation with your fellow human? No way Jose!

8. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

I'm more interested on if he did a good job cutting his lawn in the dark? I have an EGO that's really quiet and has headlights, so I could probably pull it off.

9. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

You have my sympathy. Mind you, my neighbours seem to feel free to mess with my garden/lawn nature reserve if my gardening doesn't meet their high standards. #GardenCreeps

10. Krayzkat macrumors 6502a

Krayzkat

Maybe he works night shifts and is pee'ed off with his neighbours who cut the grass when he's trying to sleep during the day.

Even still, it is a bit cuckoo!

11. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

I used to work midnight-6AM 6 days a week. The whole damned world conspires to keep you awake during the day.

12. flyinmac macrumors 68040

flyinmac

Yeah, it’s late at night. But... what is his work schedule?

Perhaps it’s the only time he can do it.

Maybe he’s at work all day and the homeowners association threatened him with a cut your lawn or else (I’ve dealt with those).

Personally, I live practically downtown, I also live on a lake, and I have city snow plowing in the winter, construction in the summer, and cars playing on the frozen lake, and boats in the spring.

And I hear sirens all times of the night, I hear engines on boats or cars on the lake outside my window, the scraping of plow trucks, beeping alarms on construction equipment as they scrape up dirt, oh and the dogs.

And I’m about as close to the middle of nowhere as you can get. Any more nowhere, and I’d be in the Antarctic.

So I can say if it was just the neighbor mowing his grass, I’d just keep sleeping.

Yes, I’ve lived in apartment buildings with people and their bass booming cars, customs deep exhaust tones, and a landlord that mowed the yard during my sleeping hours. And I’d go move my car away from the building and go back to sleep while he mowed.

All things considered, there’s worse things.

I’m a light sleeper. I’ll wake up if anyone anywhere in the house makes a move that I’m not expecting. But I can also tune out anything that I’m aware of or not worried about.

Night time, I’m on alert. A whisper in the basement and I know. Nobody moves without me knowing. Other stuff, I can ignore.

I’d personally just write it off as life and be happy it’s not worse.

I’d rather have a lawnmower than gunfire.

13. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

Can we talk about those awful new gas cans that the government forced on us? Exhibit A for the government screwing up something simple. Sorry a little off topic but we're talking about cutting grass so it's kinda related.

14. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Let me guess - the reduce the chance of spills and/or explosions? One cup of vaporized gasoline has the explosive force of a stick of dynamite....

15. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

Have you used one the newer gas cans? Looks like this.
    Screen Shot 2018-05-17 at 11.25.43 AM.png

16. crjackson2134 thread starter macrumors 68040

crjackson2134

Yeah, had that conversation before. Local police do nothing.

I guess I could sell my house and move...
    Yeah, no... He's retired... Just a really difficult old fart. Don't get me wrong, I'm a retired old fart too, just a normal considerate one. He's not someone you can have a normal candid conversation with either. I've tried...

Other neighbors have called on him plenty. It doesn't do anything to help. It just exacerbates the problem because he feels the need to retaliate I suppose. I try not to have neighbor wars. I just came on here to vent. Sorry about that...

17. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68040

Mac'nCheese

We got a push mower that has no power. It works just fine. Send him one as a gift.

18. crjackson2134 thread starter macrumors 68040

crjackson2134

He'd give it to someone else. He does these things not out of thoughtlessness, but out of purposeful agitation to neighbors. It's not directed at me personally, he has issues (some of them personal with other neighbors, some not). It's a nuisance I'm stuck with for the time being...

19. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

Y'all mean a reel mower? I've been using one for the past 15 odd years. I love 'em. No noise, no fumes and starts without resorting to colorful metaphors.:D My neighbors never complain no matter what time I mow my lawn.;) I initially got one because the gas fumes gave me headaches. Bad headaches. John Henry pounding on your head headaches.
    For anyone who's never used one, it's quiet enough to hold a conversation while mowing. And the modern reel mowers are easy to push, not like your daddy's reel mower.

20. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

It used to be (and it might still be now), that lawnmowers spewed out as much toxins as cars, because the lawnmowers didn't have catalytic converters. I compromise and use electric....

21. lostngone macrumors 65816

lostngone

Careful, if he/she in a minority you could be committing a hate crime just by the act of calling the Police.

22. flyinmac macrumors 68040

flyinmac

I’ve watched people mow with electric mowers. And that long extension cord. It just seems like a really big shocking accident waiting to happen. Back and forth back and forth and eventually that cord is ending up under the mower.

23. ActionableMango, May 17, 2018
    Last edited: May 18, 2018

ActionableMango macrumors G3

ActionableMango

I love my electric mower. Having used both types, I am never, ever going back to gas. The difference is night and day.

No gas, no trips to gas stations, no storing gas cans, no gas going bad during the winter, no oil, no mixing gas and oil, no spark plugs, no toxic fumes, no yanking pull starters, no carbs getting plugged up because you didn't drain them, no dealing with those new gas cans (all of which suck), and very little noise.

I can mow my whole lawn while my neighbor is messing around with his internal combustion engine mower in his garage.

So, yeah, watching out for a cord is quite literally nothing in comparison. In any case, you mow away from the outlet, and perpendicular to it, so the cord isn't in your path. Also, there are great cordless mowers now.

I've cut a cord accidentally with a Dremel before...the sheet metal I was cutting fell down and chopped the cord. No big deal, you go to the hardware store, get two new ends, and now you've got one long and one short extension cord. :D

24. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68040

Mac'nCheese

Yup. My six year old can push it.

25. crjackson2134 thread starter macrumors 68040

crjackson2134

All this is great and stuff, but it's not about the grass or the gas. It's about being an ass...
    --- Post Merged, May 17, 2018 ---
    Yes, he did a good job. Understand that our lawns are about 3/4 Acre. It's a lawn tractor with headlights. As is mine...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.