Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jcorbin

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 18, 2011
D.C.
Wirelessly posted

Does having local weather turned on in the apple weather app really drain the battery more than having static locations set up? I don't have weather in my notification area.

I do check it throughout the day. And I am usually at work or home or around town. So it's not like I'm on the road.

Does anyone just leave it static until they are in a new area temporarily?

TJ61

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2011
I assume you're wondering about the iphone's need to use the gps to determine your location first, as opposed to just using the wifi (or 3g) to download data?

Frankly, I don't know if the weather app is what instigates the locating, or if that happens on it's own, in which case that power is used either way. But, it seems like it's going to take longer to determine location first, so your screen is going to be on longer while waiting for your info. that alone would take more power.

Regards,
Tom

jcorbin

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 18, 2011
D.C.
Wirelessly posted

-aggie- said:
If you're talking about the stock Weather app that comes preinstalled, the battery is not affected until you check the weather.

Yes that is what I'm referring to. And I know it isnt affected till its opened. I'm asking of having it set to local weather which makes the gps turn on whenever the app is opened vs setting the location manually drains the battery that much more.

jcorbin

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 18, 2011
D.C.
Wirelessly posted

Does anyone use the stock weather app? I'm looking at weather underground. Looks good

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.