Localized Switch ads on TV

gotohamish

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 15, 2001
BKLN
I see that Apple Japan has done its own Switch ads...

http://www.apple.co.jp/switch/realpeople/

and I was wondering what the MacRumors community thought of this. I know a lot of you are outside of the US, and would like to see specific ads for their country.

I myself am in the UK, where no television ads have appeared since the iTunes cinema ones, and I've always felt that the American accent Goldblum ads didn't go down very well here as they're so clearly American, and that's actually quite rare for UK advertising - we, evidently, like to hear a friendly, local voice.

Perhaps we should all write to our local Apple divisions, UK, Europe, South America etc, and push the idea!

PS: please note, for the purpose of posting on a US website, I've used the US English spellings of Localised and rumours!;)

TheFink

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2002
I'd like to see localized commercials for some of my backwoods friends. Showing Cooter use his iMac as a spitoon or talking about how he can get on the web to talk about skinning beavers. THAT would move some units.

Dr. Distortion

macrumors regular
May 2, 2002
Eindhoven, the Netherlands
Let's see what irmongoose's comments on these ads are... he will certainly understand Japanese better than a simple Dutchman...

Not that I don't know a thing or two about japanese... for example, I heard one of the guys calling himself by his family name first, and then his name; whereas we usually tell our name and then family name :)

-Dr. D.

Hawthorne

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2002
In front of my Mac
Originally posted by j763
give us more localized switch ads apple!!
I can just see one localized for Arizona...

"I used to use a PC, just like I used to live in Wisconsin. But I switched to a Mac last year. I keep moving back and forth between my retirement home in East Mesa and my grandkids house in Madison, though."

"My name is George Wilson, and I'm a snowbird."

irmongoose

macrumors 68030
Originally posted by Dr. Distortion
Let's see what irmongoose's comments on these ads are... he will certainly understand Japanese better than a simple Dutchman...

Not that I don't know a thing or two about japanese... for example, I heard one of the guys calling himself by his family name first, and then his name; whereas we usually tell our name and then family name :)

-Dr. D.
hehe.. well that weird woman, who springscansing mentioned, is the Japanese version of Ellen Feiss. She's saying almost the exact same thing... she talks about her paper half vanishing. I'm sure that one was at least a little made up by Apple.

The others are pretty good.. the doctor is actaully a psychiatrist... explains why he talks like that... (shiver). But, one problem. Japanese just doesn't produce the same casual feeling English can, and it just makes it sound more forced... more like it's all made up, even if it's obvious that it's not.

Overall, they're good. And they're bound to be more effective, since the Mac community in Japan is much larger in ratio compared to that in the US.. And since many many Japanese people know what Macs are great for, these Switch adds just might convince them that the actaul "switch" is the only hard part...

I'm just waiting to see some on TV.. this is gonna be great! :D

irmongoose

komi

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2002
i can translate and post what these people are saying, if anyone is interested.

k

gotohamish

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 15, 2001
BKLN
Well, no one's expressed any interest to my original idea of writing to our local Apple's.

Was it a dumb idea?:confused:

phgreer

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2002
Greenville, SC
Ummm... they look similiar to the American versions

Those Japanese look too similiar to the orginal American switchers! Heck one lady looks a lot like that wierd lady who waves here hands around saying how the Mac "thinks" like she does...

That woman is creppy!

warmd

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2002
Feiss as an export product

funny. i speak japanese, and the "switch" ad featuring the girl is almost exactly the same as ellen feiss' ad. she worked really hard on an english email, and just as she was finishing it, it disappeared on a windows machine, etc., etc.

probably the japanese producers decided to find someone feiss-like, as that seems to be the most popular ad here. this girl, though, isn't terribly charming ;)

ah, i see i'm not the first to point this out, sorry for the redundancy.

Blackcat

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2002
Cirencester, UK
Originally posted by gotohamish
Well, no one's expressed any interest to my original idea of writing to our local Apple's.

Was it a dumb idea?:confused:
No, we need to do it here too. Mind you, Macs sell well here anyway despite no adverts.

Blackcat

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2002
Cirencester, UK
Re: Feiss as an export product

Originally posted by warmd
funny. i speak japanese, and the "switch" ad featuring the girl is almost exactly the same as ellen feiss' ad. she worked really hard on an english email, and just as she was finishing it, it disappeared on a windows machine, etc., etc.

probably the japanese producers decided to find someone feiss-like, as that seems to be the most popular ad here. this girl, though, isn't terribly charming ;)
I think it may just be that Windows does that quite often, the similarity is there because all Windows crashes lose something!

chromos

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2002
Originally posted by irmongoose

Overall, they're good. And they're bound to be more effective, since the Mac community in Japan is much larger in ratio compared to that in the US.. And since many many Japanese people know what Macs are great for, these Switch adds just might convince them that the actaul "switch" is the only hard part...

I'm just waiting to see some on TV.. this is gonna be great! :D
Apple should actually show a screenshot of a Mac OS X and Windows webbrowser side by side. Those expensive fonts that Apple licensed look absolutely amazing in Quartz (try www.apple.co.jp in a CSS-enabled browser like Chimera (not OW though)). That alone should get some aesthetic-conscious Japanese to switch!

vniow

macrumors G4
Jul 18, 2002
I accidentally my whole location.
Re: Feiss as an export product

Originally posted by warmd

ah, i see i'm not the first to point this out, sorry for the redundancy.
No kidding.

She even has that 'stoned' look.:p

Did anyone else notice that the music was called 'Spit'?

Attachments

buffsldr

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2001
Re: Localized Switch ads on TV

Originally posted by gotohamish
I see that Apple Japan has done its own Switch ads...

http://www.apple.co.jp/switch/realpeople/

and I was wondering what the MacRumors community thought of this. I know a lot of you are outside of the US, and would like to see specific ads for their country.

I myself am in the UK, where no television ads have appeared since the iTunes cinema ones, and I've always felt that the American accent Goldblum ads didn't go down very well here as they're so clearly American, and that's actually quite rare for UK advertising - we, evidently, like to hear a friendly, local voice.

Perhaps we should all write to our local Apple divisions, UK, Europe, South America etc, and push the idea!

PS: please note, for the purpose of posting on a US website, I've used the US English spellings of Localised and rumours!;)

I just got back from Japan. i did not see any ads on tv for mac, but just outside Tokyo's Shinkansen (bullet train) station, there is a huge ad for "The New iMac". It is likely the biggest imac you will ever see. Additionally, i sat by a kid on the train who had an ipod. Apple definitely has appeal in japan