Locals Dispute Growing Story of Jena 6

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Sep 24, 2007.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I'm kinda surprised this topic hasn't been discussed here yet, but then it's a rather touchy issue.

You know by now the story of the Jena 6. The whole affair, while not unimportant, seems to be getting distorted the news media, special interest groups and other outsiders.

This morning appeared an interesting article by the AP which attempt to clarify the events that actually happened and place them in context. The entire article is long, so I won't quote it here, but suffice it to say that if you think you know the whole story from what you've read in the media up to this point, you're probably wrong.

Props to the AP for investigating and printing what is probably the most reasonable, rational article on the Jena 6 to date. They don't try to whitewash the apparent double standard of justice for whites and blacks, but they point out that many of the "facts" that people are getting so upset about are just plain wrong.

Wonder what Al Sharpton will say when he finds out this isn't exactly "To Kill A Mockingbird" all over again.

Linky

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Thanks for the read. It is a nicely put together piece.

3. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

I have a hard time believing Al Sharpton gives a poop about the details as long as he can get on TV and further his agenda.

4. jaydub macrumors 6502a

jaydub

Great read, thanks. It bothers me that the media sensationalizes every single story regardless of what the social interpretation of it will be. All in the name of attention, I suppose...

5. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

The whole incident is blown out of proportion, yes, but it is still ****ed up.

The kids who hung the nooses got an acceptable punishment. In the article it mentions they were moved to an alternate school for a month and received some suspension.

The six black students shouldn't have been originally charged with attempted second degree murder. They shouldn't have received any jail time. I couldn't believe in the article, one of the residents says something along the lines of "15 years in prison is acceptable".

It was a school fight. I would have expected the six black students to be suspended/expelled, and maybe spend a night in jail.

If anything, focus needs to be shifted to the DA who had tried to charge them with second degree murder. That's the real story here, I think.

6. jaydub macrumors 6502a

jaydub

I don't see it as merely a "schoolyard fight," though. I do think an attempted murder charge is excessive, but you can't expect to harm someone physically with little or no repercussions. It's entirely possible that the 6 were made an example, but that's the chance you take when you're willing to inflict physical harm on another person, regardless of ethnicity.

7. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I'll agree about the TV part, he is an attention whore, but what agenda would that be? Seems like, besides the publicity, his agenda is to stop stuff like this from happening. Er, and exploit it when it does. But still...

8. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

And ambulance chasing lawyers just want to "help their clients" but that doesn't mean they aren't opportunist clowns that do more harm than good. Sharpton is a hypocrite that pretty much flies in half cocked, fans the racial flames then stands in front of the bonfire he just created and says, "Thank god I'm here to fight this fire!":rolleyes:

If I didn't know any better I'd say that Sharpton needs racism. He needs racial conflict to exist to give himself a purpose in life. If blacks and whites got along he wouldn't just be out of a job he'd be out of the limelight.

Lethal

9. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Maybe you missed it in it's subtlety, but that was kinda my point. ;)

Although to the public, the agenda is supposed to be about stopping racism, which I would agree with.