"Locate Me" pegs my location at my old address 3,000 miles away. Help please?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by ThatWasAwkward, Oct 19, 2008.

1. ThatWasAwkward macrumors member

ThatWasAwkward

I have a first generation iPod Touch. Whenever I use the "Locate Me" button in Maps it says I'm at my old address in Maryland. I live in Washington state now, so that's obviously kind of bogus.

I can't seem to find a straight answer anywhere on the internet. The closest I can get is some people seem to think it has something to do with the MAC address of my router... but here's the thing. Even when I try the "Locate Me" function from where I work -- which is half an hour away from my house and obviously a completely different network -- it says I'm at my old address in Maryland.

This problem basically renders a whole bunch of Apps (the ones that rely on location information) useless. So... what's the deal? How can I get it working again?

2. reubs macrumors 68000

Is it possible that it's using old information from your iTunes account? Have you updated all of that with your new information and new billing address? I don't know if that's anything at all, but it's my only guess...

3. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Apple (and google) is using a service provided by Skyhook. What likely has happened, is Skyhook had your Wireless router listed as one of the units used to locate you, but since you moved, it still lists that Wireless SSID in the wrong part of the world.

You can correct that by submitting your new location to Skyhook's database. Just visit their support page (http://www.skyhookwireless.com/howitworks/submit_ap.php), and enter your address and other information they need to make the correction.

HTH

[​IMG]

4. ThatWasAwkward thread starter macrumors member

ThatWasAwkward

Yeah, I've heard that theory. But then why does it say I'm at my old place in Maryland when I'm at work, half an hour away from my router and on an entirely different network?

5. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Not sure.

Contact skyhook for those answers, just tried to show you were to correct their database. Same issue happened to me last year when visiting saint louis last summer. I think the fact that I use an airport express at hotels confused their system.

Not sure though, as since submitting, my maps started working for me again a few days later.

6. ThatWasAwkward thread starter macrumors member

ThatWasAwkward