location based question???

fuzion11

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 24, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
My iPhone 5 keeps telling me that enabling my wifi setting will increase location accuracy...My question is, do you need to be connected to a wifi network for this to happen or is just having the wifi setting turned on without being connected to anything give the phone that much more accuracy???

Thanks in advance.

fuzion11

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 24, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
I'm just wondering because if I don't need wifi on I would like to keep it off as I don't usually connect to any networks...can someone please answer my original question?

Thanks again.

Bbafett

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2012
Georgia
My iPhone 5 keeps telling me that enabling my wifi setting will increase location accuracy...My question is, do you need to be connected to a wifi network for this to happen or is just having the wifi setting turned on without being connected to anything give the phone that much more accuracy???

Thanks in advance.
If you don't connect to any wifi networks then it won't impact your location accuracy to my knowledge unless your cell service is very spotty. Hope this helps.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Basically your device will download a wifi map of sorts for known hotspots and wifi routers that have been logged and associated with a GPS position. When you have wifi on and your using gps the wifi and cell towers are compared to this map to acquire your position quicker and keep you a lot more accurate.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Like, for example, if you're near a Starbucks and your phone sees that wifi it's likely that Apple knows the address of that Starbucks and can thus tell you where you are faster than the GPS could.

It's not saying that wifi will always help with location, but that it's possible it could, so you should just leave it on to raise the chances of that happening in your life.