location based question???

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by fuzion11, Sep 27, 2012.

1. fuzion11 macrumors 65816

fuzion11

My iPhone 5 keeps telling me that enabling my wifi setting will increase location accuracy...My question is, do you need to be connected to a wifi network for this to happen or is just having the wifi setting turned on without being connected to anything give the phone that much more accuracy???

Thanks in advance.

2. fuzion11 thread starter macrumors 65816

fuzion11

I'm just wondering because if I don't need wifi on I would like to keep it off as I don't usually connect to any networks...can someone please answer my original question?

Thanks again.

3. Bbafett macrumors regular

If you don't connect to any wifi networks then it won't impact your location accuracy to my knowledge unless your cell service is very spotty. Hope this helps.

4. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Its called Assisted GPS which means that it will use WiFi to speed up locating your position. WiFi is not necessary for the GPS.

5. fuzion11 thread starter macrumors 65816

fuzion11

Yes but do you need to be connected to a network to reap the benefits of increased location accuracy?

6. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Turn wifi to on and ask to join networks to off.

You should be connected to wifi when at home anyway.

7. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Basically your device will download a wifi map of sorts for known hotspots and wifi routers that have been logged and associated with a GPS position. When you have wifi on and your using gps the wifi and cell towers are compared to this map to acquire your position quicker and keep you a lot more accurate.

8. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Like, for example, if you're near a Starbucks and your phone sees that wifi it's likely that Apple knows the address of that Starbucks and can thus tell you where you are faster than the GPS could.

It's not saying that wifi will always help with location, but that it's possible it could, so you should just leave it on to raise the chances of that happening in your life.

9. nostresshere macrumors 68030

other than on the plane, we always have wifi turned on.

Why not?