Location based reminders gps arrow stays on constantly

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JRoDDz, Oct 16, 2011.

1. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

I noticed when I do a location based reminder, the GPS arrow on the top right of my screen stays there. Is this normal?

2. mattydee87 macrumors regular

Yes. How else can it know your location to remind you? :)

3. JRoDDz thread starter macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

Wouldn't having the GPS active constantly drain your battery considerably?

4. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

It doesn't mean GPS is constantly on.

5. Vundu macrumors 65816

Vundu

Exactly.

Notice it stays on for me when setting time zone is turned on.

6. JRoDDz thread starter macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

Then what does the arrow up in the top right of the screen mean?

7. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

It means that an application is requesting your location.

8. himynameiscody macrumors 6502a

himynameiscody

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Mines sometimes there and sometimes isn't

9. blumpkin macrumors regular

Is this really normal?

I just noticed this today, the first time using this feature. I set a reminder to go off when I come home from work.

Going into Settings > Location Services shows a purple arrow next to Reminders, indicating that it's "currently using your location." Does it really have to constantly monitor my location rather than pinging it every 10 - 15 minutes? Won't having the GPS constantly on for 8+ hours muder the battery?

10. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

What's the sense in having a location-based reminder if it's going to be delivered 15 minutes late?

11. blumpkin macrumors regular

I must be one of the few people here not launching a space shuttle upon returning from work. I'm turning this **** off for now.

12. Beauborg macrumors newbie

What's more annoying is the gps arrow stays on even after the reminder has been displayed and when you have no more location based reminders.

Can anyone explain why this is?

13. lpeedin macrumors regular

No explanation needed - just go to Location Services and see which application has the purple arrow next to it.

14. JRoDDz thread starter macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

Location Based reminders = Battery Hog. Has anyone used location based reminders and gotten decent battery life?

15. Juggie305 macrumors member

8-9 hr battery life here with gps on and location reminds once in a while along with internet usage n 3g on half of the time or more

16. Nothlit macrumors regular

The location services icon does not mean the GPS is on all the time. It simply means an application is requesting your location. This can be done at a coarse level via cell towers, or a more granular level using GPS. The Reminders app can dynamically choose which of these methods it uses depending on how close you are to the location in question. The phone can tell if you're far away (based on the cell towers it detects) and knows it doesn't need to turn on the GPS for a more fine-grained fix. As you get closer to the location in question, it will turn on the GPS to know precisely when you arrive.

17. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

I decided to not try after i set one to remind me when I left my house, and it was about 6 miles away before it triggered.

I'd like to set one at a store to remind me about a prescription refill and such, but heck, I only live 2 miles from the pharmacy!

I figure with the hit to battery life I will only use it when i really need too.

18. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

It's a nice feature but does hurt battery life pretty bad. I only use it when have something really important I need, and it works really good for me.

19. Joshitect macrumors member

Select the check box that you did it and it will turn off

20. nmork macrumors regular

I've been using them for a while now with no adverse effects on my battery life.

Then again, I've had my iPhone 4 (naked) since launch and haven't had any issues with the antenna either.