location based reminders not working on iOS 5 gm on iPhone 4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lewys, Oct 12, 2011.

1. lewys macrumors 6502

lewys

Hi, i can't use the location reminders on the iPhone 4. i have made an iCloud account with my normal apple id which is my hotmail email address but there is still no option in reminders for location.

Will i have it when i upgrade to the released version of iOS 5 today or am i doing something wrong?

2. OMGbrandon macrumors 6502

OMGbrandon

3. deeddawg macrumors 604

Make sure you (a) have reminders syncing to icloud and (b) reminders AREN'T syncing to an Exchange account.

4. smr macrumors 6502a

I'm also having the same problem, but this doesn't fix it. Any other ideas?

5. bcurtiss433 macrumors member

I am also having the same problem, I do not see anywhere it allows to remind you based on a location.

6. Silentsky macrumors newbie

It's not work on my 3GS either.How to work it out?

7. bcurtiss433 macrumors member

How do you sync reminders with iCloud?

8. deeddawg macrumors 604

Create a reminder via the + button, type what you want, tap return, tap on the reminder, tap on Remind Me, switch the At a Location from Off to On, select a location.

Thats how it works on my iphone4 running iOS5GM.

Settings -> iCloud -> switch Reminders from Off to On

9. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

3GS won't get it as the GPS location tracking isn't as good as the 4. (from what i've been advised)

10. bcurtiss433 macrumors member

The only option I get when I click on the remind me is to remind me On a Day, nothing about location.

11. Silentsky macrumors newbie

Got it, Thx lol

12. smr macrumors 6502a

That would explain why mine isn't working then :eek:

13. bcurtiss433 macrumors member

I have an Iphone 4, and still don't get the remind me at a location option.

14. ifoner macrumors newbie

Here is some additional info:

I had the same problem. Of course you need iCloud since you're asking it to find your iPhone. (or track your phone, whatever) But, even after setting that up you need to select an iCloud based reminder list in the Remonders app. I also use Exchange, so when I tap on the lists button, I now see Exchange based lists and (now) iCloud based lists.

Once you select an iCloud based list the feature shows up.

Hope this helps.

15. deeddawg macrumors 604

Playing around, I find that if nothing is syncing reminders, At a Location works. If the only thing syncing Reminders is my work Microsoft Exchange server, I only get On a Day.

If I turn on reminders for both iCloud and work, I can set reminders in either (one shows as Tasks other as Reminders), but only the iCloud allows At a Location.

16. bcurtiss433 macrumors member

This explains a lot then, I am setting up my iCloud this morning, once I do this then it should all be up and running.

17. NorfolkMustard macrumors regular

nope. I created an "on my iPhone" list, and I do get location as an option. You don't need an iCloud list. I think it just doesn't work on Exchange lists.

18. ifoner macrumors newbie

Thanks - so it sounds like it's an Exchange related limitation. We'll find out over the next couple of weeks.

19. BH151 macrumors newbie

I have a iPhone 3GS. I live in the UK. I don't see any option to set a location for a reminder. The only option is to set On a date.

I have setup iCloud.
    I have set some locations in Contacts.
    I do sync my Calendar with my work Exchange server. But I have switched off Exchange reminders.
    I have done several Hard Resets.

Incidentally, I also found I could not Edit or Add contacts until I enabled Contacts in iCloud.

HELP!

Ben

20. deeddawg macrumors 604

Based on what I've read, it seems that the 3GS did not get this feature, possible due to higher power drain from keeping the GPS active.

21. Tegeril macrumors member

Reminders at a location will not show up with my iPad 3G at all, nor a coworker's iPhone. We've both tip iCloud, toggled syncs to iCloud on and off, deactivated exchange integration to the reminders app, etc. it never shows up.

22. 8aseem8 macrumors newbie

So I'm guessing iDevices except for iPhone 4 and 4S are not supported? I've got iCloud syncing Reminders (ON) and I dont use Exchange (I use Gmail), and yet the iCloud category does not show when I tap the menu in the Reminders app. Pity, I was looking forward to using that feature.

Btw, I have an iPod touch 4g.

23. dmj macrumors newbie

Location toggle

Make sure you have not locked your location services under restrictions otherwise you cannot pick the "at a location". I actually lock my location services so others can't turn off find my iPhone, so I am unable to use the toggle switch for At My Location....

24. rlimagon macrumors newbie

To dmj, I had the same problem but I have just found out that not allowing changes in "Accounts" under "Restrictions" prevents one from changing "iCloud" settings, hence not being able to turn off the "Find my iPhone" feature.

Doing so you can use the "Remind Me" feature AND "Find my iPhone" at the same time!

:)

25. Kingdaddy macrumors newbie

I too do not see "Locations" feature

And Apple has done a crappy job of advising users if there are any issues in using Exchange based emails if that is the cause of not seeing locations.:mad:

Also, perhaps related to this, is that my iTunes account is a Gmail account, which I used to create my iCloud account, and for my preferences on my iMac. However, I also have a MobileMe account, which I never use. I tried using that as the email address in system preferences, but it tells me that it's already in use (by me!).

I have an iPhone 4, bough the day it came out, so it is no longer under the 1 year warranty period to ask questions about this.

I was looking forward to trying location based reminders, but unfortunately, the solution doesn't work for me, and is not up to Apple's standards IMHO.

I thought OmniFocus had enabled location features, maybe I should try that?