Location based reminders on 3GS!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Jantelagen, Oct 6, 2011.

1. Jantelagen, Oct 6, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2011

Jantelagen macrumors regular

Jantelagen

As you may have noticed if you've upgraded your iPod or 3GS to iOS 5 GM, the option to set a location in Reminders.app is not there.

This has not been the case before, as proved by these three videos, all published around the time of iOS 5 beta 1. This would suggest that the feature was there in early betas (as I've seen suggested when searching around for this on MacRumors), only to be missing now.

3GS:

This is ridiculous. The one touch photo enhance is, though confirmed by many sources not to work on 3GS, available on my 3GS. A totally useless feature from my point of view. Location based reminders is not. Come the ***** on, Apple.

2. AIP5 macrumors 6502a

Damn, really? I was looking forward to that feature on my 3GS too. Try e-emailing Apple and see what they say. Like Apple support and the feedback site.

3. Jantelagen, Oct 6, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2011

Jantelagen thread starter macrumors regular

Jantelagen

I think they would like to know my UDID and then discover that I'm not a developer. Oh well. Guess I'll just have to hope that it's activated in a new build 12th October or maybe in 5.1. Still stings, though...

4. Jantelagen thread starter macrumors regular

Jantelagen

Anyone know exactly when the feature got the boot, beta 2?

5. batting1000 macrumors 604

Yeah, I realized my iPod touch 4 was missing the location based reminders too. :(

6. Jantelagen thread starter macrumors regular

Jantelagen

This rules out that it's limited to 4th generation devices. It should work on all iOS 5 supported devices, as far as Apples information covers. Never has it been mentioned that 3GS/iPod touch won't get location based reminders. And really, why shouldn't they?

This reminds me of the ringtones/alerts that iPhone 4 got back at 4.2.1, with 3GS being left out because of "inferior speakers".

Well, guess what? My 3GS does have those ringtones in iOS 5. My speakers magically upgraded to be able to handle the mind blowing quality of those tunes, did they, Apple?

7. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

There is a significantly different GPS chip in the 4/4S with a much faster acquire time and lower power draw. This may be the reason they turned it off in the 3GS, poor results in early betas.

8. Jantelagen thread starter macrumors regular

Jantelagen

Well, that actually does sound resonable. Poor choice though. I would like to decide that myself.

9. scassidy macrumors newbie

iCloud

You will need to setup your iCloud account for the location based reminders to work on iOS 5 GM. Until then, you will only be able to set reminders by a date.

10. Saidear macrumors newbie

The option isn't even there for 3GS phones however. It is for 4 and 4S ones.

11. lewys macrumors 6502

lewys

12. batting1000 macrumors 604

This. My iCloud is set up and there is no option on my iPt4g.

13. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Your iPod Touch does not have a GPS receiver. The GPS chip is integrated with the 3G radio, which is why an iPad WiFi does not have true GPS but an iPad WiFi+3G does.

----------

I can't disagree with you, I'm bummed about the lack of gesture support on my iPad 1 too.

14. sanford macrumors 65816

Camera from lock screen and shoot picture with volume up button was supposed to be 4 and 4S only, too, but they're both there on my 3GS.

I don't think it's so much accuracy of 3GS GPS as chipset battery drain and lower capacity battery in 3GS. GPS has to be on ALL THE TIME if you have any location-based reminders on. That'll zap 3GS batteries and people won't have a clue why.

15. blackjackmark macrumors 6502

They are? Not on mine. Is there a setting I'm missing?

16. na1577 macrumors 6502a

This isn't the first time Apple inexplicably removed a feature that was in the betas. The iPhone 3G was supposed to have Game Center, but it was removed during the testing period.

17. PJT macrumors member

No camera button on my 3GS lock screen either.:confused:

18. SimplyBlue macrumors member

Double-tap the home button.

19. blackjackmark macrumors 6502

Thanks, that works...but when I put it to sleep and then wake the phone back up it's gone again.

Is there a way to trigger it so it's always there without having to double-tap the home button?

20. justblack78 macrumors newbie

justblack78

It's not supposed to be there all the time. The only way to have it appear regardless of which phone you have is to double tap the home button on the lock screen.

21. PJT macrumors member

Awesome, thank you.:)

22. sanford macrumors 65816

Double tap home button at lock screen. Camera icon will appear. Then once you're in camera, you can use the "volume up" side of the volume rocker switch to take pictures.

EDIT: Oops. Double-answer. Sorry, it's early here, and since I won't have location-based reminders until three weeks from now, when I'm eligible for a full-subsidy 4S upgrade, my 3GS couldn't remind me not to answer questions that were already answered when I sat down at my desk.

23. OrlandoRoss macrumors newbie