Loch Ness Monster used to debunk evolution in state-funded school

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by localoid, Jun 26, 2012.

1. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

According to a report by the Herald Scotland, the Eternity Christian Academy in Westlake, Louisiana, a school that will receive tax-payer dollars, will teach kids that the mythological sea creature is real in order to debunk the theory of evolution.

Starting in the fall, thousands of schoolchildren will receive publicly funded vouchers to attend private schools, some of which are religious. Religious schools in Louisiana will receive public funding as part of a push from Louisiana's governor, Bobby Jindal, to move millions of tax dollars to cover tuition for private schools, including small bible-based church schools. Money will fund schools that have "bible-based math books" and biology texts that refute evolution.

Whether this gambit will help move Louisiana from the bottom of math and science rankings in the country is unclear. A 2011 study of how well primary education prepares students for engineering careers had Louisiana third from the bottom, with only West Virginia and Mississippi performing worse.

2. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I just came here to post this. This is absolutely ridiculous. These Christian Fascists have no bounds and no limits, and will not stop until everyone in this country is believing the same fairy tales as them.

3. Heilage macrumors 68030

Heilage

I don't even have a response to this. It's just too stupid.

4. Andeavor macrumors 6502

5. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

6. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

Why not Santa Claus? It will get kids to celebrate jesus's bday.......

7. Happybunny macrumors 68000

8. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

Just came in to tell all the people who have told me that the monster was fake - I told ya so!

I'm kidding obviously. I'm not sure why this level of ridiculousness continues to surprise me-but it does.

9. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Christian Sharia Law?

10. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

It would seem so. I can't figure out the difference between this school and a madrassa. Same ****, different boogeyman

11. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I just read that whole article. This kind of garbage needs to stop- now. Teach your kids to be as stupid as you want, but don't do it with tax dollars. This school needs to be defunded immediately.

12. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

This is hilarious and awful, but I'm beginning to think that the answer to this is to create federal education standards. Let these schools teach kids that the world rests on the back of an elephant riding a turtle (and it's turtles all the way down folks!) and then let them choose between blowing the test or actually learning the correct answer.

13. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

WTF is "bible-based math"??? 3 x 1 = 1? I see trouble ahead...

14. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

If Jesus cures two lepers per hour and there are 50 lepers scattered 1 mile apart. If it takes Jesus 23 mins to walk each mile, then how long will it take Jesus to turn a 13 cup of water into wine?

15. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Ask me a difficult one.

16. AhmedFaisal Guest

How? Assuming for a second that Nessi is real and not fiction, how would this be any different from other living fossils such as the stromatolites, coelacanths and the numerous other species that have survived since times primordial?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Living_fossil

And why not pick from any of those to disprove evolution if you are so inclined. It's obvious I am missing something here but I can't figure out what that might be.... :confused:

17. localoid thread starter macrumors 68020

localoid

After some prayer, fasting, and research on the Internet, it suddenly hit me me that Bible-based math must surely refer to the "amazing numerical patterns in nature, which could only be the work of the Creator" that Ivan Panin "discovered" in 1890, as explained here.

Or maybe not...

18. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    Tut tut. Trying to use logic on folk that worship a zombie Jew and believe in talking snakes..

19. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

It's as if we're dealing with an entire group of people who actually believe that a dead guy came back to life 3 days after being killed.

I'm constantly surprised that this stuff still surprises people.

Religion is willful ignorance, where do you think that ends?

20. pdjudd macrumors 601

Any answer will suffice - it was a miracle.:D

21. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

Time to bring back the Church of the FSM, I think. ;)

Maybe Bible-Based Math will finally get our economy going...

22. Happybunny macrumors 68000

Now that would be a miracle.:D

23. Heilage macrumors 68030

Heilage

What is the mass of Hell?

24. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

I just want to add that while this is totally unacceptable not just because it is wrong but because this is a state-funded school, not all schools with a religious orientation work this way. I went to a private Christian school which taught evolution as scientifically-accepted, and left religion to the religion department and science to the science department. We had four years of science classes and two years of religion classes. Then they let the students decide what they sided with...and I'd say 95% sided with evolution. So not all Christian schools are that crazy.