Lock Button Rattling/Loose

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by b0bab0i, Oct 15, 2012.

1. b0bab0i macrumors regular

Is anyone else's lock button rattling like crazy when you shake it?
    My lock button sounds really loose when I shake the phone.

Just wondering if this is suppose to be normal or do I have a defective phone.

Thanks in Advance!

2. vipJj123 macrumors member

My power button also rattles. But the rest of my iPhone is perfect. Doesn't bother me. Don't want to risk trading for one that may have a worse problem. And I have a year warranty, so if it gets worse I can return later.

3. sundog925 macrumors 6502a

The power button on my iPhone 4 (not 4S) rattles too. I dunno why people haven't noticed til' now smh....

4. coffeemadmanUK macrumors 6502a

coffeemadmanUK

Mine rattles if I tap the iPhone but not if I shake it. I assumed it was just normal really.

5. Fanboi4life macrumors regular

Fanboi4life

It's normal. But I bet someone will come in here and say that theirs doesn't rattle and a massive wave of replacements will be generated...

6. bomp macrumors member

well.. Mine doesnt rattle, fits perfect with no play in it.
    Although my 4S did have a loose one....

My 5 is a perfect launch day example (32GB Black).

Although this makes a change my previous 3 generations were swapped at least twice each!!

7. flipn0tic macrumors member

8. OutSpoken macrumors 6502a

Maybe they are shaking to shuffle...just sayin..:D

p.s mine rattles too, but I put it down to normal behaviour.

9. dk206 macrumors regular

People like you...

10. kmichalec macrumors 6502a

Don't want to cause a wave of returns, as mentioned by one of the previous posters, but mine does not rattle at all. Completely silent when I shake mine.

If you're worried about it, take it over to the Apple store and just see what they say it should/shouldn't do. If they say that's normal, then you know directly from the source. If they say it's not, then let them swap it out. I personally wouldn't expect it to rattle (as to me, that means something is secured down inside), but that's just my honest opinion. Check with Apple.

Good luck!

11. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

I doubt Apple makes these things to rattle on purpose, so it's not normal, but nothing to lose sleep over either. I imagine the tolerances are so tight to get that button just right (so's not to rattle) that you can't nail it on each and every assembly.

12. bwhli macrumors 6502a

bwhli

13. casual864 macrumors newbie

I just got a white iPhone 32gb last weekend on Saturday. Build is week 39 of September and my power, lock and volume rockers are not rattling at all.

14. lawlbringer macrumors regular

If you're talking about the iPhone 5, the power button is a tad looser than the 4/4S...you will notice it if you shake it, or when it vibrates. I think how loose it is varies from phone to phone, but it definitely has some wiggle to it.

15. charliehustle macrumors 6502

When you pay nearly $1000 for a phone, you figure it won't rattle when you shake it. But then again, that's just my opinion. My phone rattles, but it's not any of the buttons, it's something inside. Gonna wait and see if it gets worse before doing anything, but it definitely makes a weird noise when it's vibrating.

16. b0bab0i thread starter macrumors regular

This exactly! I was shaking to shuffle and heard a rattle noise.

I guess I'll just bring it in to see what the Apple store says.

17. iBaloney macrumors 6502

iBaloney

Well i took mine in the other day. The genius confirmed it was a "loose camera" and swapped it out for a brand new one...which also had the same rattle but less profound.

But after checking every display model on the floor, they all have the same rattle, so i guess its normal. The rattle was consistent on the new ipod touches as well when tapped on the camera lens.

Unfortunately, my swap has a nick on the bezel! Which i'm going to take it back when they have more phones in stock for another swap.

18. cababah, Oct 17, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2012

cababah macrumors 68000

Sounds like your genius was an idiot. The autofocus camera rattle had been there for a while. All of my replacement iPhone 4S' had it (5+) my iPhone 5 has it. Gf's iPhone 5 has it. Floor models have it. All phones have it to a certain extent. Some few don't but most do and it is normal.

19. iBaloney macrumors 6502

iBaloney

he probably was. oh well at least he was nice enough to give me a retail swap.