Lock MBP and still output to secondary display?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by oYx, Nov 30, 2010.

1. oYx macrumors regular

I give presentations regularly, and I always lock (with password) my MBP if I need to leave the room for a quick break. However, I often need to leave the secondary display projected on the big screen. Is there a way to keep the secondary display showing even when locking access to the MBP?

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

AFAIK no that is not possible, neither on a PC nor a Mac.

3. ctyhntr macrumors 6502

ctyhntr

Sounds like you're worried about someone with physical access to your computer while you're away. How about creating a locked down guest ID/PW account, and log in with that for your presentation. Change the file permissions to take away rights to this account in Applications directory, and other main directories.

4. oYx thread starter macrumors regular

That's a good idea, but keeping a separate account would be a little more troublesome than simply forgoing the projected screen for now. I'll look into an app that can disable keyboard and mouse input unless a password has been entered. Was hoping OSX got this covered already.

5. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

It's really not a big deal to enable the built-in guest account. Just put the presentation in a shared folder and you should be able to do what you need without giving access to your data. You can even make the shared folder read-only.

6. fobis macrumors member

You can set a hot corner to turn off/blank your displays and require a password for when your computer comes out of screen saver and sleep. I think that will do the trick.

EDIT: nevermind me. Forgot that you wanted to leave the secondary display on. Sorry.

7. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

If Using Keynote:

8. oYx thread starter macrumors regular

My presentations tend to involve quite a bit of shuffling between showing a few professional applications which I use frequently, so making sure settings are updated across the accounts will be quite something. Also, I need to access my iTunes library occasionally (though I haven't looked into the possibility of sharing the library across accounts before).

Nonetheless, having the guest account doesn't protect the other confidential info (for my reference only) I will need to have opened during my presentations. I could close them during my breaks.. but not very ideal having to open them again.