Lock or Theft Recovery Software for College?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by boredterry, Jul 29, 2010.

1. boredterry macrumors newbie

Hi all -- firstly, thanks for your help in the MBPro topic I posted a while ago. I'll be buying a 15" Hi-Res Glossy. (I still can't decide between the low end and middle though... but that's another topic.)

Since I'm going off to college in a month or so, I was wondering: Should I invest in a lock, theft recovery software (e.g. LoJack, Undercover), or both? I'd love to hear about the pros and cons of both. Additionally, it would be appreciated if you could give specific product suggestions if you vote for the lock, as there are *so many* out there.

Thanks in advance for all your help! :)

2. ic1 macrumors member

All Mac portables (except MBAs), Minis and, I believe, iMacs, have what's called a Kensington lock slot on the body of the machine. They're called that for a reason and that's a good company to start with for minimum security. I'm not sold on the value of the electronic solutions but if you have the dough look into them. However, a physical tether is the minimum. After all, keeping honest people honest is really about all you can realistically do.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Physical tethers are wastes of time. If you keep your door locked, the odds of the machine being stolen from your dorm room are small.

I had Undercover on my 06 MBP when it was stolen in Switzerland. I got it back.

4. jbrenn macrumors 6502a

The physical locks is worthless. on youtube there are videos of people opening the locks in less than 1 minute and showing people how to do it.

5. boredterry thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, I'm thinking about skipping the lock altogether and just getting Undercover or LoJack or something along those lines simply because it's more difficult to get rid of than a lock AND it's possible to find the laptop again, unlike the lock...

6. BanjoBanker macrumors 6502

BanjoBanker

A lock will deter the typical thief, which is generally a friend of the roommates who is in the room when you are not. It is the casual "target of opportunity" thief you need to worry about, a dedicated electronics thief will get your Mac regardless of what you do. Be safe, get a lock and use it.

7. yoyomaster macrumors regular

I never used anything in my apartment for my undergrad.

8. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

Yeah, this goes for all locks.

9. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

10. Fishrrman macrumors G3

Just a thought -

If you're concerned about theft and/or theft recovery at school, the OTHER important thing you need is a backup drive.

A portable drive stored in a closet or back of a drawer will give you an extra measure of "insurance" should the computer be stolen, recovery software or not.

If for some reason it got stolen and you didn't get it back, you'll still have your files to get back up on another Mac.

I'd recommend that you DO NOT use Time Machine for such a backup. Instead, create a bootable "clone" with either CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper. Much easier to immediately get up and running on a "new platform".

11. iPhysicist macrumors 6502a

iPhysicist

If you go for a REAL Kensington Lock with an actual key there is no simple opening because the lock is very well built and the key is unique.
    I use it because i do not want to recover my laptop after it got stolen, i want to keep it the whole time.
    I think a lock is the best solution for the use in libraries and classrooms. You can leave your desk for a coffee without the hassle of taking your MBP with you.

Edit: OMG, i watched some of the videos, but the bottom line is that the 6pin Kensington cant be opened that easy! So if you use it in a crowded library your book will be save because the theft will drag attention... Its takes much longer than unlocking with a key.