Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
I work in an all mac lab running 10.2. All computers are setup to print to a print server which subtracts from the students' print points so students don't waste paper. Well, they've found out about ip printing. How can i lock out ip printing from the student account?

GigaWire

macrumors 6502
Dec 25, 2001
Change ownership of the printer setup utility and terminal so that have "No Access".

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
Do you use PAS? Sounds like my school, except that PAS isn't yet available for OSX (all the macs can't print!!!). However, my school does let students print from their computers using a PAS client. If you do use a PAS client, under OSX, where could I get one?

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
I'm guessing you mean in the user's "capabilities." Set it to only allow them certain apps?

We use a program called VendPrint. We use a win box as the printer server and have the macs print to it.

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
I changed the user's capabilities to allow them to access everything but print center, or so I though. I kept every box checked, expect for print center. but I noticed some apps aren't in this list. On about half of the computers offce is not there so the students couldn't access it. It there away to add all apps on the computer to this list without doing it one-by-one?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.