Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

errorrrr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 27, 2016
New York
Hello all, new to the forum. I have some questions about the iPhone when it's carrier locked, or its IMEI is black listed.

The purpose I am asking the question is that I'd like to use the iPhone strictly for apps/games, so i have literally zero use for its cellular functions.

1. If i buy a carrier locked iPhone, can I still access Wi-Fi and access iTune store? Can I just insert any SIM so the phone will let me get to the home screen?
2. If i buy an IMEI black listed iPhone, can I still access Wi-Fi and access the iTune store?

Sorry for the weird question. And thanks for any help.

rigormortis

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
you know, as long as its not stolen, you could call the carrier and ask them how much they want to remove the iPhone from the black list, if it such a good deal, perhaps they only want $350?

oh yeah?, i thought so

do you have any interest in having someone say this phone was stolen, and the police showing up on your doorstep?

with so many clean iPhones on swappa being sold for $155 to $350 and that new se going for $399 to $499 i don't understand why anyone would buy an iPhone with a $900 unpaid sprint bill attached to it just to save a few bucks

if you want an iPhone and use it as an iPod. how about buying an iphone 5s 64 gb from swappa for 235 ? that 5s blows away a brand new iPod 6th generation

Last edited:

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
I believe find my iPhone is still active even if location services is turned off.

Does Op really want to use wifi and risk have the original owner of iPhone find the phone via find my iPhone services?

Once any type of data is active. They can track the phone down. And half the games (I think) you play require Internet services on the iPhone.

rigormortis

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
I believe find my iPhone is still active even if location services is turned off.

yes. even an iPhone with location services turned off, putting the iPhone in lost mode reenables location services until the pin code has been entered..

that was one of my pet peeves, an irresponsible apple blog would tell people to turn off find my iPhone to save battery life. turn off location services all you want, but never turn off find my iPhone

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
you know, as long as its not stolen, you could call the carrier and ask them how much they want to remove the iPhone from the black list, if it such a good deal, perhaps they only want $350?

oh yeah?, i thought so

do you have any interest in having someone say this phone was stolen, and the police showing up on your doorstep?

with so many clean iPhones on swappa being sold for $155 to $350 and that new se going for $399 to $499 i don't understand why anyone would buy an iPhone with a $900 unpaid sprint bill attached to it just to save a few bucks

if you want an iPhone and use it as an iPod. how about buying an iphone 5s 64 gb from swappa for 235 ? that 5s blows away a brand new iPod 6th generation

I never I never heard of a carrier removing blacklisted phones for a fee for random people.
That's not how it works.
[doublepost=1461792581][/doublepost]
Hello all, new to the forum. I have some questions about the iPhone when it's carrier locked, or its IMEI is black listed.

The purpose I am asking the question is that I'd like to use the iPhone strictly for apps/games, so i have literally zero use for its cellular functions.

1. If i buy a carrier locked iPhone, can I still access Wi-Fi and access iTune store? Can I just insert any SIM so the phone will let me get to the home screen?
2. If i buy an IMEI black listed iPhone, can I still access Wi-Fi and access the iTune store?

Sorry for the weird question. And thanks for any help.

If its just IMEI blacklistead then it will not get any carrier cellular service.
If its not activated and doesn't let you inside the homescreen then you will need a sim card from the carrier its locked to in order to get by the activation screen.
If you dont know what carrier its locked to there's services that charge a small fee to figure out what companies sim you will need.
It will activate with the correct sim but it will display no service.
Then you can use it as an ipod touch if you like.
If its icloud locked it will never let you in unless you put the original owners apple id and password.
So dont confuse those 2 things, imei blacklisted and icloud locked are 2 different things.

rigormortis

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
I never I never heard of a carrier removing blacklisted phones for a fee for random people.
That's not how it works.
[doublepost=1461792581][/doublepost]

If its just IMEI blacklistead then it will not get any carrier cellular service.
If its not activated and doesn't let you inside the homescreen then you will need a sim card from the carrier its locked to in order to get by the activation screen.
If you dont know what carrier its locked to there's services that charge a small fee to figure out what companies sim you will need.
It will activate with the correct sim but it will display no service.
Then you can use it as an ipod touch if you like.
If its icloud locked it will never let you in unless you put the original owners apple id and password.
So dont confuse those 2 things, imei blacklisted and icloud locked are 2 different things.

if you leave some carrier and refuse to pay your bill or etf they will black list the phone
if you offer to pay them the money you owe, they will remove the black list., and unlock the phone

if the phone is blacklisted because it is stolen you are screwed

i bought a blacklisted amazon fire phone and when i called AT&T they said no we will never approve that device, and they refused my offer to give it back to them

i no where implied anything about iCloud locking

Last edited:

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
if you leave some carrier and refuse to pay your bill or etf they will black list the phone
if you offer to pay them the money you owe, they will remove the black list., and unlock the phone

if the phone is blacklisted because it is stolen you are screwed

i bought a blacklisted amazon fire phone and when i called AT&T they said no we will never approve that device, and they refused my offer to give it back to them

i no where implied anything about iCloud locking

Yes, obviously if it's your phone and pay it off they will not blacklist it.
The op is planning on buying a phone that is blacklisted by someone else so there will be no option on paying off someone else's account, getting any personal info about someone else's financial obligation or be allowed to pay off their debt in order for the carrier to release and whitelist the device to someone non affiliated or authorized.
Just so everyone gets it;)

rigormortis

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
Yes, obviously if it's your phone and pay it off they will not blacklist it.
The op is planning on buying a phone that is blacklisted by someone else so there will be no option on paying off someone else's account, getting any personal info about someone else's financial obligation or be allowed to pay off their debt in order for the carrier to release and whitelist the device to someone non affiliated or authorized.
Just so everyone gets it;)

thanks for the feedback. i guess what i was trying to convey was how preposterous it was to buy a blacklisted and possibly stolen iPhone to use as an "iPod " when they are so many clean esn phones being sold on swappa for really low prices.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.